Marilyn©

Default Applesauce - Splenda?

In ,
Feuer > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> "Marilyn©" wrote:
>
>> Uh, because I grow enough green beans that I need to can them to
>> have as part of my food storage? And I personally disline the taste
>> and texture of frozen green beans. But of course they taste better
>> fresh. However, I've never found a way to preserve them so they
>> taste just like fresh.

> hmmm. makes sense. Can you pickle green beans in balsamic or wine
> vinegar with a drop of salt and pasteurize them? How would that
> taste?

I could pickle them but it would be rather expensive to use balsamic or wine vinegar. And
you can't exactly eat a lot of pickles at a time, probably not a recommended serving
amount that would provide the vitamins.

Now, my son does sort of like them if I make that green bean casserole that has cream of
mushroom soup and french fried onion in it. And he eats them in stew and soup. He just
doesn't like them staring up at him nakedly on his plate, I guess.

--
Marilyn
-----------

The Joneses

Default Grn Beans Was Applesauce - Splenda?

Peggy wrote:

> Feuer wrote:
> >
> > "Marilyn©" wrote:
> >
> >>Uh, because I grow enough green beans that I need to can them to have as part of my food
> >>storage? And I personally disline the taste and texture of frozen green beans. But of
> >>course they taste better fresh. However, I've never found a way to preserve them so they
> >>taste just like fresh.

> > hmmm. makes sense. Can you pickle green beans in balsamic or wine
> > vinegar with a drop of salt and pasteurize them? How would that
> > taste?

> Dilly beans! Check out the Ball Blue Book.
> Peg

That's a good idea to use a splash of balsamic vinegar. I regularly
use white wine vinegar for Dilly Beans. And Tarragon beans are
'specially nice. And cilantro beans. And Basil beans are good too,
with my own basil. Haven't tried leaves from my bay tree, but I'm
outta wine vinegar. The sponsor for our teensy farmer's market
is a restaurant owner and has offered to buy/resell cases of white
and red wine vinegars for me. I figger I'll need a case of each at
about $15. a case. Still cheaper than $2. a bottle at Albertson's.
I did make two nice pints from one 12oz bag of "petite" whole
frozen green beans for a present. These were more tender even
than ol' store bought beans at the end of the season.
Edrena

Feuer

Peggy wrote:

> Dilly beans! Check out the Ball Blue Book.

Seein' as how I don't like dill pickles, /I/ probably wouldn't like
dilly beans.

Minteeleaf

"Marilyn©" wrote:
> Feuer > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> > "Marilyn©" wrote:> >
> > There are I think better ways than forcing kids to eat vegetables.
> > I believe my mother is the only one in my family who likes lima
> > beans.> >
> > David > > lover of most beans.

> It's not a matter of forcing. They can go without eating them, but they don't get to take
> up the slack of eating more of what they like at the table. I have a couple of kids who
> would fill up on meat and nothing else if I gave them that option.
>
> Yeah, they have a choice. Eat it or go hungry.>
> --
> Marilyn

Same at my house. They have a choice of take it or leave it.
If they leave it, they leave hungry. They'll learn.

Minteeleaf
Feuer

Minteeleaf wrote:

> Same at my house. They have a choice of take it or leave it.
> If they leave it, they leave hungry. They'll learn.

At my parents' house, cereal and milk has always been an option.

David

Cymru Llewes

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:23:52 -0500, Feuer wrote:

> Minteeleaf wrote:
>
>> Same at my house. They have a choice of take it or leave it.
>> If they leave it, they leave hungry. They'll learn.

> At my parents' house, cereal and milk has always been an option.
>
> David

At our house the option is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or flour
tortilla with cheese.

--
Cymru Llewes
Caer Llewys
Brian Mailman

Cymru Llewes wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:23:52 -0500, Feuer wrote:
>
> > Minteeleaf wrote:
> >
> >> Same at my house. They have a choice of take it or leave it.
> >> If they leave it, they leave hungry. They'll learn.

> > At my parents' house, cereal and milk has always been an option.
> >
> > David

> At our house the option is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or flour
> tortilla with cheese.

Here it's wet or dry. Bowl or plate. Under the stove or by the dining
room door.

B/
Brian Mailman

Default Applesauce -Do nothing?

If so many apples, why not dry them?

Then you not only save on storage space, but you have them for
versatility: dried apple pies, apple sauce, stick a few in the cavity of
chicken or turkey with onions, bread/rice puddings, french toast,
w/dried apples and nuts, dried apple strudel.... all kinds schtuff.

B/
Joy Hardie

I don't have any drying equipment or dehydrator or whatever it takes.
Then too, I have never really cooked or done anything with dried
fruits. Do you have to re-hydrate them? ARe there spcial recipes?
What is a dried apple pie? Please tell me more.
Joy

>If so many apples, why not dry them?
>
>Then you not only save on storage space, but you have them for
>versatility: dried apple pies, apple sauce, stick a few in the cavity of
>chicken or turkey with onions, bread/rice puddings, french toast,
>w/dried apples and nuts, dried apple strudel.... all kinds schtuff.
>
>B/

Brian Mailman

Joy Hardie wrote:

> I don't have any drying equipment or dehydrator or whatever it takes.

Do you have trays of some sort and sunlight? or an oven that can dial
down to very low? Drying is just about the lowest of low-tech
preservation methods. I can't remember if you're supposed to brush them
with lemon juice first--I'm sure someone will be along to give more
detailed advice.

> Then too, I have never really cooked or done anything with dried
> fruits. Do you have to re-hydrate them?

Sometimes, depending on what you wish to do with them. Some
recipes--like using them to stuff poultry or in stews/braises, or mixed
compotes, they rehydrate themselves.

> ARe there spcial recipes?

Like I said, you can all kinds of stuff with them.

> What is a dried apple pie? Please tell me more.

At the risk of being flip, a pie made with dried apples. I understand
it's an Amish thingum. Anyway, like I said, if I had that many apples
I'd dry them and save on time, energy, money, and storage space.

B/

Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
using Splenda cathy General Cooking 19 10-12-2006 04:59 PM
Splenda B&B? Brian Mailman Preserving 2 01-09-2006 09:16 PM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 06:01 AM
Splenda CapStick Diabetic 4 28-10-2003 02:35 PM