Some Dude

Default Vinegar for Hot Sauce/Salsa

Hi-

I am curious how much vinegar one should put into salsa/hot sauce to
keep it safe as well as preserved longer. I don't want to put much in
because I do not like that taste. But I'd prefer that it doesn't need
to be refrigerated. Is there a ratio of some sort?

Also a little off topic- Can you sell food (salsa/hot sauce) without
the FDA being involved? Or do you just have to adhere to the FDA's
requirements? I'm not talking tons of it..just small batches.

Thanks!

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Frogleg

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:47:02 -0500, Some Dude > wrote:

>Also a little off topic- Can you sell food (salsa/hot sauce) without
>the FDA being involved? Or do you just have to adhere to the FDA's
>requirements? I'm not talking tons of it..just small batches.

Your local (state) health dept. may be able to give guidelines. Rules
vary. E.g., in Virginia, you can sell baked goods and jams with a
simple $1 permit from the health dept., but canned veg and gutted fish
require 'approved' facilities for prep. The FDA doesn't come into it
unless, perhaps, you're selling across state lines. I only researched
farmers' market regs for my state. Look up regs before you start. One
little old lady in the neighborhood got dinged for selling the
occasional cake for parties.
Bob Pastorio

Frogleg wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:47:02 -0500, Some Dude > wrote:
>

>>Also a little off topic- Can you sell food (salsa/hot sauce) without
>>the FDA being involved? Or do you just have to adhere to the FDA's
>>requirements? I'm not talking tons of it..just small batches.

> Your local (state) health dept. may be able to give guidelines. Rules
> vary. E.g., in Virginia, you can sell baked goods and jams with a
> simple $1 permit from the health dept., but canned veg and gutted fish
> require 'approved' facilities for prep. The FDA doesn't come into it
> unless, perhaps, you're selling across state lines. I only researched
> farmers' market regs for my state. Look up regs before you start. One
> little old lady in the neighborhood got dinged for selling the
> occasional cake for parties.

FDA can now get into it in Virginia if you're canning any foods. I
don't sell interstate, but my vinegars, oils, chocolates, fruit juice
curds and other things have been collected, scrutinized, lab-tested,
measured and (I suspect) enjoyed by gray-suited FDA folks back at
their offices. Even things considered safe are looked at. Anything
canned or pickled has to be produced in an inspected facility.

Quantity doesn't matter for FDA approval. It does have implications
for labeling.

Local health departments work under different rules. The Virginia
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) folks who
inspected my farmers' market products (a few Shenandoah Valley
markets) were a bit more based in some reality than the FDA guys.

Pastorio

zxcvbob

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> FDA can now get into it in Virginia if you're canning any foods. I don't
> sell interstate, but my vinegars, oils, chocolates, fruit juice curds
> and other things have been collected, scrutinized, lab-tested, measured
> and (I suspect) enjoyed by gray-suited FDA folks back at their offices.
> Even things considered safe are looked at. Anything canned or pickled
> has to be produced in an inspected facility.

Might be some fallout from the Patriot Act...

Cynically,
Bob

Some Dude

What if you're bottling, not canning and sealing the jars (pressure
sealing)?

Or could someone throw me a url?

Thanks!

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:31:42 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:47:02 -0500, Some Dude > wrote:
>>

>>>Also a little off topic- Can you sell food (salsa/hot sauce) without
>>>the FDA being involved? Or do you just have to adhere to the FDA's
>>>requirements? I'm not talking tons of it..just small batches.

>> Your local (state) health dept. may be able to give guidelines. Rules
>> vary. E.g., in Virginia, you can sell baked goods and jams with a
>> simple $1 permit from the health dept., but canned veg and gutted fish
>> require 'approved' facilities for prep. The FDA doesn't come into it
>> unless, perhaps, you're selling across state lines. I only researched
>> farmers' market regs for my state. Look up regs before you start. One
>> little old lady in the neighborhood got dinged for selling the
>> occasional cake for parties.

>FDA can now get into it in Virginia if you're canning any foods. I
>don't sell interstate, but my vinegars, oils, chocolates, fruit juice
>curds and other things have been collected, scrutinized, lab-tested,
>measured and (I suspect) enjoyed by gray-suited FDA folks back at
>their offices. Even things considered safe are looked at. Anything
>canned or pickled has to be produced in an inspected facility.
>
>Quantity doesn't matter for FDA approval. It does have implications
>for labeling.
>
>Local health departments work under different rules. The Virginia
>Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) folks who
>inspected my farmers' market products (a few Shenandoah Valley
>markets) were a bit more based in some reality than the FDA guys.
>
>Pastorio

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh

Bob Pastorio

Some Dude wrote:

> What if you're bottling, not canning and sealing the jars (pressure
> sealing)?

It doesn't matter. The combination of the ingredients and the
processing are the determinants of whether the FDA or USDA have
jurisdiction. If you're putting it in a bottle, check with the FDA
info. If you sell one bottle at retail, you're subject to their scrutiny.

You will *also* have to deal with state and local agencies.

I've been through all of it.

> Or could someone throw me a url?

http://www.fda.gov/

Pastorio

> > Thanks!

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:31:42 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
> wrote:
>
>>Frogleg wrote:

>>>Your local (state) health dept. may be able to give guidelines. Rules
>>>vary. E.g., in Virginia, you can sell baked goods and jams with a
>>>simple $1 permit from the health dept., but canned veg and gutted fish
>>>require 'approved' facilities for prep. The FDA doesn't come into it
>>>unless, perhaps, you're selling across state lines. I only researched
>>>farmers' market regs for my state. Look up regs before you start. One
>>>little old lady in the neighborhood got dinged for selling the
>>>occasional cake for parties.

>>FDA can now get into it in Virginia if you're canning any foods. I
>>don't sell interstate, but my vinegars, oils, chocolates, fruit juice
>>curds and other things have been collected, scrutinized, lab-tested,
>>measured and (I suspect) enjoyed by gray-suited FDA folks back at
>>their offices. Even things considered safe are looked at. Anything
>>canned or pickled has to be produced in an inspected facility.
>>
>>Quantity doesn't matter for FDA approval. It does have implications
>>for labeling.
>>
>>Local health departments work under different rules. The Virginia
>>Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) folks who
>>inspected my farmers' market products (a few Shenandoah Valley
>>markets) were a bit more based in some reality than the FDA guys.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Cheers,
> -sd
> http://www.zoom.sh

Tennessee Vinegar BBQ Sauce Jane Barbecue 6 05-11-2007 05:11 PM
Guatemalan hot sauce/salsa MAYA-IK - Mayan Hot Sauce [email protected] General Cooking 0 06-07-2007 07:08 PM
Vinegar Based Sauce B-Worthey Barbecue 4 17-04-2006 06:32 PM
Other uses for vinegar based sauce [email protected] Barbecue 5 03-03-2005 03:26 PM
Bob..Vinegar sauce Steve Barbecue 11 27-09-2004 01:31 AM