FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/8355-late-season-preserves-pumpkin.html)

Leslie G 26-10-2003 11:37 PM

Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Bernardin Book Pumpkin Butter
=============================
4 Cups Prepared pumpkin
(about 1 8 inch pie pumpkin)
2 Cups Brown sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Liquid honey
1/2 Cup Orange juice
..
prepare and sterilize 4 (5 to be on the safe side) half pint jars.

Wash 1 8 inch pie pumpkin, cut into large peices, scrape out and discard
seeds. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a
boil; reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Remove rind from pulp. Measure 4 cups pulp. In Food Processor, combine pulp
with brown sugar, spices, salt, honey and orange juice, puree until smooth.
(do this in batches).

Combine puree in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a
boil, reduce heat; Boil gently until thick, about 20 minutes.

Place Snap lids in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.

Ladle butter into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles with rubber spatula, and readjust heatspace. Wipe jar rim, center
lid and apply screw band until finger tip tight.

Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1,000 ft.

Servings: 4

Kathi 27-10-2003 02:40 AM

"Leslie G" > wrote in message >...
> Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
>
> Bernardin Book Pumpkin Butter
> =============================
> 4 Cups Prepared pumpkin
> (about 1 8 inch pie pumpkin)
> 2 Cups Brown sugar
> 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 Cup Liquid honey
> 1/2 Cup Orange juice
> .
> prepare and sterilize 4 (5 to be on the safe side) half pint jars.
>
> Wash 1 8 inch pie pumpkin, cut into large peices, scrape out and discard
> seeds. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a
> boil; reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
>
> Remove rind from pulp. Measure 4 cups pulp. In Food Processor, combine pulp
> with brown sugar, spices, salt, honey and orange juice, puree until smooth.
> (do this in batches).
>
> Combine puree in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a
> boil, reduce heat; Boil gently until thick, about 20 minutes.
>
> Place Snap lids in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.
>

> Ladle butter into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air
> bubbles with rubber spatula, and readjust heatspace. Wipe jar rim, center
> lid and apply screw band until finger tip tight.
>
> Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1,000 ft.
>
> Servings: 4

a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.

The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
canning cubes was safe.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
up being more than just pies...

Kathi

Leslie G 27-10-2003 03:09 AM

Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

"Kathi" > wrote in message
om...
> "Leslie G" > wrote in message

> > Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
> >
> > Bernardin Book Pumpkin Butter
> > =============================
> > 4 Cups Prepared pumpkin
> > (about 1 8 inch pie pumpkin)
> > 2 Cups Brown sugar
> > 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
> > 1/2 Cup Liquid honey
> > 1/2 Cup Orange juice
> > .
> > prepare and sterilize 4 (5 to be on the safe side) half pint jars.
> >
> > Wash 1 8 inch pie pumpkin, cut into large peices, scrape out and discard
> > seeds. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a
> > boil; reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
> >
> > Remove rind from pulp. Measure 4 cups pulp. In Food Processor, combine

pulp
> > with brown sugar, spices, salt, honey and orange juice, puree until

smooth.
> > (do this in batches).
> >
> > Combine puree in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a
> > boil, reduce heat; Boil gently until thick, about 20 minutes.
> >
> > Place Snap lids in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes to soften sealing

compound.

> > Ladle butter into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove

air
> > bubbles with rubber spatula, and readjust heatspace. Wipe jar rim,

center
> > lid and apply screw band until finger tip tight.
> >
> > Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1,000 ft.
> >
> > Servings: 4

> a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
> 'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
> If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
> there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
> Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
> Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
> juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.
>
> The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
> pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
> canning cubes was safe.
>
> I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
> I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
> up being more than just pies...
>
> Kathi

It is called Bernardin book because that is where I got the recipe - an
earlier edition - 1995

and.. a pumpkin butter is not a puree. A pure pumpkin puree is unsafe to
BWB. However, this is a preserve with the addition of sugar. Sugar is a
preservative, and therefore, the only danger you would be in would be
fermentation if it it did not seal.

Leslie

Leslie G 27-10-2003 03:54 AM

another use for pumpkin/squash (was late season preserves)

"Kathi" > wrote in message
om...

> a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
> 'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
> If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
> there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
> Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
> Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
> juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.
>
> The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
> pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
> canning cubes was safe.
>
> I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
> I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
> up being more than just pies...
>
> Kathi

If you have a lot of pumpkin/squash about.. here is another use.. this
recipe came from Putting Food By - Fourth Edition:
and is also BWB

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Ginger Squash Marmalade
=======================
4 Pounds Prepared winter squash
Or Pumpkin
4 Pounds Sugar
2 Lemons, grated and juiced
2 Ounces Crystalized ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Ground ginger
3 Cups Water
..
Peel the squash, scrape out the strings and seeds from the centre; save the
seeds. Slice and cut the peeled squash to make 4 lbs of 1/4 inch cubes. Put
the squash in a crockery bowl with the sugar, gingers, grated peel and juice
of lemons. Meanwhile break the seeds, put them in a pan with the water and
boil gently for 30 minutes; strain and add 2 1/2 cups of the liquid to the
squash mixture. Cover and refrigerate over night. Put into an enameled
kettle, and over medium heat, bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
(here you can finish it in a 325F/163C oven or let it putter along with a
heat reducing pad under the kettle. Cook and stir until the squash is clear
and will set - about 45 - 60 minutes. Ladle immediately into clean, hot
jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom for pints, 1/4 inch for half pints.
Adjust lids; PROCESS IN A BOILING-WATER BATH FOR 10 MINUTES, 15 FOR PINTS
OR
HALF PINTS. Remove; cool upright and naturally.

Page 276 - Putting Food By

Servings: 4

David J. Braunegg 27-10-2003 06:03 PM

Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

I don't think it is the sugar. I think it is the addition of the orange
juice to acidify the pumpkin that would make this product safe.

Pumpkin is a low-acid fruit (or vegetable--different topic of
conversation) and therefore presents a botulism risk with BWB unless
sufficiently acidified.

Dave

Ellen Wickberg 27-10-2003 06:16 PM

Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

in article , David J. Braunegg at
wrote on 27/10/03 11:03 am:

> I don't think it is the sugar. I think it is the addition of the orange
> juice to acidify the pumpkin that would make this product safe.
>
> Pumpkin is a low-acid fruit (or vegetable--different topic of
> conversation) and therefore presents a botulism risk with BWB unless
> sufficiently acidified.
>
> Dave
>

> Leslie G wrote:
>>
>> "Kathi" > wrote in message
>> om...

>> It is called Bernardin book because that is where I got the recipe - an
>> earlier edition - 1995
>>
>> and.. a pumpkin butter is not a puree. A pure pumpkin puree is unsafe to
>> BWB. However, this is a preserve with the addition of sugar. Sugar is a
>> preservative, and therefore, the only danger you would be in would be
>> fermentation if it it did not seal.
>>
>> Leslie

Usually jam like products are made safe by the sugar and perhaps, pectin,
both of which tie up the water so that microorganisms can't grow. I think
that fig jam ( a borderline acid fruit) is made safe by the sugar. Ellen

The Joneses 27-10-2003 07:14 PM

Leslie G wrote:

> "Kathi" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
> > 'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
> > If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
> > there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
> > Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
> > Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
> > juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.
> >
> > The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
> > pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
> > canning cubes was safe.
> >
> > I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
> > I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
> > up being more than just pies...
> >
> > Kathi

> If you have a lot of pumpkin/squash about.. here is another use.. this
> recipe came from Putting Food By - Fourth Edition:
> and is also BWB
>
> Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
>
> Ginger Squash Marmalade
> =======================
> 4 Pounds Prepared winter squash
> Or Pumpkin
> 4 Pounds Sugar
> 2 Lemons, grated and juiced
> 2 Ounces Crystalized ginger
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground ginger
> 3 Cups Water
> .
> Peel the squash, scrape out the strings and seeds from the centre; save the
> seeds. Slice and cut the peeled squash to make 4 lbs of 1/4 inch cubes. Put
> the squash in a crockery bowl with the sugar, gingers, grated peel and juice
> of lemons. Meanwhile break the seeds, put them in a pan with the water and
> boil gently for 30 minutes; strain and add 2 1/2 cups of the liquid to the
> squash mixture. Cover and refrigerate over night. Put into an enameled
> kettle, and over medium heat, bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
> (here you can finish it in a 325F/163C oven or let it putter along with a
> heat reducing pad under the kettle. Cook and stir until the squash is clear
> and will set - about 45 - 60 minutes. Ladle immediately into clean, hot
> jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom for pints, 1/4 inch for half pints.
> Adjust lids; PROCESS IN A BOILING-WATER BATH FOR 10 MINUTES, 15 FOR PINTS
> OR
> HALF PINTS. Remove; cool upright and naturally.
>
> Page 276 - Putting Food By
>
> Servings: 4

This'd be a grate [!] one for all that candied ginger I made this year. I'll
let you know how it turns out.
Edrena