A.T. Hagan

Default Who are you buying your storage food and equipment from?

Howdy folks,

After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
I expected - large.

Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
equipment from?

I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
don't include them but something really good would be different.

Who do you like and why?

......Alan.

Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
The Joneses

"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
> FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
> last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
> away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
> I expected - large.
>
> Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
> any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
> world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
> equipment from?
>
> I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
> Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
> dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
> dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
> pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
> out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
> don't include them but something really good would be different.
>
> Who do you like and why?
>
> .....Alan.
>
> Curiosity killed the cat -
> lack of it is killing mankind.

Almost off your topic - but I'm liking the Golden Harvest jars better.
They got less designer junk on the jars so I can write on'em on
label'em or whatever.
Edrena

Gunner

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:52:15 GMT, (A.T.
Hagan) wrote:

>Howdy folks,
>
>After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
>FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
>last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
>away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
>I expected - large.
>
>Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
>any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
>world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
>equipment from?
>
>I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
>Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
>dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
>dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
>pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
>out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
>don't include them but something really good would be different.
>
>Who do you like and why?
>
>.....Alan.

I buy a lot of canned goods and other items from several select .99c
stores, because of the price and quality as compared to the big
chains.

Gunner
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle
behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
Ed Hall

I have found Nitro Pak to be reliable. Not sure how well they do on price,
but when things go slow I got what I thought was a decent deal on a Mountain
House food unit kit.

I know that there is cheaper out there, but this was pre kited and will last
until I am 70, so it was just easier to spend the dollars than the time.

Ed

"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> Howdy folks,
>
> After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
> FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
> last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
> away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
> I expected - large.
>
> Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
> any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
> world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
> equipment from?
>
> I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
> Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
> dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
> dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
> pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
> out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
> don't include them but something really good would be different.
>
> Who do you like and why?
>
> .....Alan.
>

> Curiosity killed the cat -
> lack of it is killing mankind.

A.T. Hagan

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:12:59 GMT, Strider > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:52:15 GMT, (A.T.
>Hagan) wrote:
>
>>Howdy folks,
>>
>>After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
>>FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
>>last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
>>away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
>>I expected - large.
>>
>>Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
>>any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
>>world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
>>equipment from?
>>
>>I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
>>Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
>>dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
>>dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
>>pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
>>out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
>>don't include them but something really good would be different.
>>
>>Who do you like and why?
>>
>>.....Alan.
>>

>I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, Alan, but in
>addition to the ones you mentioned, I've found Sam's Club and local
>health food stores to be a good source.
>
>Strider

Oh, I quite agree. I don't order food online which is why I have to
Google the net, use reader contributions, and poll the readership to
find suppliers for the who folks who do choose the online option. I
do order equipment online, but that's somewhat different from food.

The problem with Googling the net is that anyone can put up a hot
looking web site. If you don't already know something of the company
their site doesn't tell you much so I much prefer to get input from
the readership if I can.

So, once again. What companies are you folks ordering storage food
from online?

Who do you buy your food preservation and storage equipment from
online?

......Alan.

Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Tom

Here's a great one. www.CampingSurvival.com. To be honest this is our
site. I have been reading these posts for some time now and I just
couldn't resist putting our site here since it is perfect for this
posting. It has over 7500 products so you can get anything you need
for preparedness and just have fun. Thanks, Tom
Marilyn©

In ,
The Joneses > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> "A.T. Hagan" wrote:
>
>> Howdy folks,
>>
>> After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food
>> Storage FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section.
>> Since the last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who
>> have faded away or no longer deal in food storage related products
>> was about what I expected - large.
>>
>> Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see
>> if any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in
>> the world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
>> equipment from?
>>
>> I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
>> Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
>> dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
>> dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
>> pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
>> out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
>> don't include them but something really good would be different.
>>
>> Who do you like and why?
>>
>> .....Alan.
>>
>> Curiosity killed the cat -
>> lack of it is killing mankind.

> Almost off your topic - but I'm liking the Golden Harvest jars better.
> They got less designer junk on the jars so I can write on'em on
> label'em or whatever.
> Edrena

Yeah, and they have nothing at all on the lids so it's easy to take my permanent marker
and write the contents on it.

--
Marilyn
-----------

Tom

"Ed Hall" > wrote in message news:<Kjrjb.780961$YN5.773209@sccrnsc01>...
> I have found Nitro Pak to be reliable. Not sure how well they do on price,
> but when things go slow I got what I thought was a decent deal on a Mountain
> House food unit kit.
>
> I know that there is cheaper out there, but this was pre kited and will last
> until I am 70, so it was just easier to spend the dollars than the time.
>
> Ed
>
> "A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> > Howdy folks,
> >
> > After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
> > FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
> > last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
> > away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
> > I expected - large.
> >
> > Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
> > any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
> > world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
> > equipment from?
> >
> > I've got the usual players already Walton Feed, Emergency Essentials,
> > Lehmans, Cumberland General Store and so on. Any new storage food
> > dealers you like? New suppliers of bulk foods, dehydrated or freeze
> > dried foods, packaging, oxygen absorbers, desiccants, grain mills,
> > pressure canners, and so on? Send me their URL and I'll check them
> > out. With few exceptions if they don't have an Internet presence I
> > don't include them but something really good would be different.
> >
> > Who do you like and why?
> >
> > .....Alan.
> >

> > Curiosity killed the cat -
> > lack of it is killing mankind.

Here's a great one. www.CampingSurvival.com. To be honest this is our
site. I have been reading these posts for some time now and I just
couldn't resist putting our site here since it is perfect for this
posting. It has over 7500 products so you can get anything you need
for preparedness and just have fun. Thanks, Tom
A.T. Hagan

http://www.bulkfoods.com - good prices, low fixed
>shipping costs. The foods I've bought from them have all
>been good quality.
>
>2. http://www.barryfarm.com - small outfit, they are
>organic farmers themselves as well as selling other's foods.
>I have found the quality of the products I've bought from
>them to be VERY high indeed. BarryFarm carries items that
>are difficult to find elsewhere, such as Instant ClearJel -
>this is very good. I also just *like* to purchase from
>fairly small farmers, especially organic ones.
>
>I recommend the above two most highly. Good folks to deal
>with, good food.
>
>Other suggestions for your list:
>
>http://www.hodgsonsmill.com - *great* wholegrain pancake
>mixes, many other whole grain items
>
>http://www.bobsredmill.com - I haven't bought from them
>myself, but have read others' recommendations numerous times
>
>A slightly less-obvious selection:
>
>http://www.dixiediner.com - they sell scads of TVP products
>- and others - but their concentration is on TVP (a good
>storage food). I have purchased from them and been fairly
>pleased with what I purchased (TVP is, basically, TVP after
>all. Even if made to mock chicken or beef, it's still TVP.)
>They have some soy drinks and so on that I think are useful.
>
>I've recently bought some canning supplies he
>
>http://www.polsteins.com - I have only bought here once, but
>I mention them because they seem to have the best selection
>of canning supplies available online - the best selection
>I've found anyway. I bought the Ball Blue Book and a jar
>lifter and rack from them. They have lots of jars too.
>
>Also - Dutch Valley Foods. They are the distributor from
>whom a local (northern PA) Mennonite-owned general store
>buys its (good quality) food. They sell by mail order too,
>and catalogs can be requested on the web. They carry a lot
>of items suitable for storage.
>
>http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com
>
>For storage containers:
>
>http://www.usplastic.com - I've bought from US Plastic
>several times. They are happy to sell to individuals and
>are very good people to deal with. They carry the
>ubiquitous 5-gallon buckets, gamma lids, many storage jars
>and other storage containers. I keep my flours in
>containers I bought from them, also dog food, oatmeal, etc.
>I also especially like the clear-plastic square pinch-back
>jars that hold 64 oz. - very useful for dry foods, beans and
>the like. US Plastic also sells various sized drums, and 55
>gallon barrels (USDA approved for food storage).

Thank you, Pat. This is *exactly* the kind of input I was looking
for. A couple of these I already knew of, but the rest I haven't seen
before.

>You'll post notice when the FAQ is updated, I'm sure?

But, of course. <laughing>

>I'd be glad to proof-read a section, or help in some other
>way if useful.
>
>Pat

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:50:31 GMT,
(A.T. Hagan) wrote:

>>For storage containers:

http://www.usplastic.com - I've bought from US Plastic
>>several times. They are happy to sell to individuals and
>>are very good people to deal with. They carry the
>>ubiquitous 5-gallon buckets, gamma lids, many storage jars
>>and other storage containers. I keep my flours in
>>containers I bought from them, also dog food, oatmeal, etc.
>>I also especially like the clear-plastic square pinch-back
>>jars that hold 64 oz. - very useful for dry foods, beans and
>>the like. US Plastic also sells various sized drums, and 55
>>gallon barrels (USDA approved for food storage).

>Thank you, Pat. This is *exactly* the kind of input I was looking
>for. A couple of these I already knew of, but the rest I haven't seen
>before.

Ditto on US Plastics.
I particularly like the:
Leakproof, Airtight Storage Container:
#75046 13 Gallon Storage Container 14" x 14" x 20" @ $35.80
for bulk stuff like wheat and rice. Has the Gamma Seal lid built
in.

Prefer open head drums for ease of cleaning.

On-Liner

"A.T. Hagan" wrote
> Howdy folks,
>
> After a four year hiatus I'm finally updating the Prudent Food Storage
> FAQ. At the moment I'm working on the Suppliers section. Since the
> last update was back in '99 the number of suppliers who have faded
> away or no longer deal in food storage related products was about what
> I expected - large.
>
> Before I finish with that section I want to canvas the field to see if
> any new, worthy food storage related companies have popped up in the
> world. Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
> equipment from?

I suppose that as the majority of the survival related sites are US based,
the bias to US sources (or almost total exclusion of non-US sources) is
understandable.
However, there are people from all around the world who would like to see
more suppliers listed for their areas.

Two similar suppliers for the UK a

http://www.hotpackmeals.co.uk/index.html
Hot PackT Self-Heating Meals offer a cost effective solution for instant hot
food and is the answer for flameless ration pack heating, away from home or
base.

https://clarahost.clara.net/www.hotcan.com/english.htm
Simple, quick and easy to use, HOTCAN® represents a real breakthrough in the
ready prepared food market. Whether you are at your place of work or
leisure, from now on you can enjoy a hot, well balanced meal which has all
the gourmet touches of great prepared cuisine.

These both provide meal packs which offer a single meal per container.
The hot packs use a sealed, foil pouch with a water activated heater (the
same style as the MRE heaters).
The HOTCANs have an air activated heater built into the walls of the can,
with the food in a separate section in the middle. Activation is achieved
by piercing the inner seal within the heater section via pre-drilled holes
in the top of the outer container. (Piercing spike included with can.)

More UK suppliers:

http://www.springfields.biz/Index.asp
Springfields offer a wide selection of survival equipment and ration packs.
They sell a variety of dry ration packs from Reiter, as well as seven menus
of 24 hour GP Rations (the sort used by the British army).

http://www.adventure1.co.uk/

Offer a variety of equipment and currently sell MRE's with the following
menu options available.
beef stew -- grilled chicken breast -- beef with mushrooms -- meatloaf --
jamaican pork chops -- chicken cavatelli

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=home

Again, a full range of equipment and survival gear along with food packs,
mint cakes and hydro-packs.
The food packs are pre-prepared meals that can be eaten hot or cold.

http://www.milisupply.com/index.htm
Amongst other army surplus gear is a selection of food prep/serving
equipment including cookers, mess tins, cutlery and so on.
No food is available for sale via this site.

There is a noticable lack of sites offering long term storage equipment
options or even foods for long term storage. The majority of the meal packs
from UK sites have a shelf life of four years or less, depending on
manufacture date.

On-Liner

A.T. Hagan

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:56:46 +0100, "On-Liner" > wrote:

>I suppose that as the majority of the survival related sites are US based,
>the bias to US sources (or almost total exclusion of non-US sources) is
>understandable.
>However, there are people from all around the world who would like to see
>more suppliers listed for their areas.
>
>Two similar suppliers for the UK a
>
>http://www.hotpackmeals.co.uk/index.html
>Hot PackT Self-Heating Meals offer a cost effective solution for instant hot
>food and is the answer for flameless ration pack heating, away from home or
>base.
>

>https://clarahost.clara.net/www.hotcan.com/english.htm
>Simple, quick and easy to use, HOTCAN® represents a real breakthrough in the
>ready prepared food market. Whether you are at your place of work or
>leisure, from now on you can enjoy a hot, well balanced meal which has all
>the gourmet touches of great prepared cuisine.
>
>These both provide meal packs which offer a single meal per container.
>The hot packs use a sealed, foil pouch with a water activated heater (the
>same style as the MRE heaters).
>The HOTCANs have an air activated heater built into the walls of the can,
>with the food in a separate section in the middle. Activation is achieved
>by piercing the inner seal within the heater section via pre-drilled holes
>in the top of the outer container. (Piercing spike included with can.)
>

>More UK suppliers:
>
>http://www.springfields.biz/Index.asp
>Springfields offer a wide selection of survival equipment and ration packs.
>They sell a variety of dry ration packs from Reiter, as well as seven menus
>of 24 hour GP Rations (the sort used by the British army).
>

>http://www.adventure1.co.uk/
>
>Offer a variety of equipment and currently sell MRE's with the following
>menu options available.
>beef stew -- grilled chicken breast -- beef with mushrooms -- meatloaf --
>jamaican pork chops -- chicken cavatelli
>

>http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=home
>
>Again, a full range of equipment and survival gear along with food packs,
>mint cakes and hydro-packs.
>The food packs are pre-prepared meals that can be eaten hot or cold.
>

>http://www.milisupply.com/index.htm
>Amongst other army surplus gear is a selection of food prep/serving
>equipment including cookers, mess tins, cutlery and so on.
>No food is available for sale via this site.
>

>There is a noticable lack of sites offering long term storage equipment
>options or even foods for long term storage. The majority of the meal packs
>from UK sites have a shelf life of four years or less, depending on
>manufacture date.
>
>On-Liner

Well, far out! I have some Canadian sources in the FAQ, but overseas
sources of storage foods and/or food storage/preservation equipment
has always been thin on the ground so far as I could find. Of course,
it's been four years since the last update so some companies that
weren't on the net back then have come online now. The FAQ readership
is world wide so to the extent that I can help them out I include
international sources.

Thanks for the links!

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Rex Tincher

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:52:15 GMT, (A.T.
Hagan) wrote:

<snip>
>Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
>equipment from?

<snip>

http://www.longlifefood.com/
has good selection and service but are not the cheapest.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/
usually has good prices on cases of MRE.

I haven't ordered food yet from South Summit
http://www.southsummit.com/
but they do sell Mountain House and their service was good on other
items. Better-than-average selection of water pumps for storage
drums.

Countryside Magazine
http://www.countrysidemag.com/
teaches how to grow your own food, which isn't exactly the question
that you asked.

My complete list of recommended food and gear suppliers is at:
http://www.tincher.to/survival.htm

--
"And I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle,
loaded it into my little car, and drove home. It seemed so
Jim Dauven

With the internet even people not living in the United States can
access online documents from the Department of Agricultural and
many extensions services from state Universities. (it may take
a little doing but anything with an .edu is fair game)

The Independent

"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

> [...]
> >Amongst other army surplus gear is a selection of food prep/serving
> >equipment including cookers, mess tins, cutlery and so on.
> >No food is available for sale via this site.
> >

> >There is a noticable lack of sites offering long term storage equipment
> >options or even foods for long term storage. The majority of the meal packs
> >from UK sites have a shelf life of four years or less, depending on
> >manufacture date.
> >
> >On-Liner
> >

> Well, far out! I have some Canadian sources in the FAQ, but overseas
> sources of storage foods and/or food storage/preservation equipment
> has always been thin on the ground so far as I could find. Of course,
> it's been four years since the last update so some companies that
> weren't on the net back then have come online now. The FAQ readership
> is world wide so to the extent that I can help them out I include

Rosemarie Ventura

Just about the only thing I buy online is tinned butter, and that's only
because no store around here
has even heard of such a thing. I purchase it from The Internet Grocer aka
Best Prices Storable Foods
who imports it from Australia/New Zealand along with the tinned Kraft
Cheese. I much prefer
the real thing to the powdered butter and cheese.

The Internet Grocer aka Best Prices Storable Foods.

http://www.internet-grocer.com/

A.T. Hagan

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:17:57 -0400, Rex Tincher >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:52:15 GMT, (A.T.
>Hagan) wrote:
>
><snip>
>>Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
>>equipment from?

><snip>

http://www.longlifefood.com/
>has good selection and service but are not the cheapest.
>
>http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/
>usually has good prices on cases of MRE.
>
>I haven't ordered food yet from South Summit
>http://www.southsummit.com/
>but they do sell Mountain House and their service was good on other
>items. Better-than-average selection of water pumps for storage
>drums.
>
>Countryside Magazine
>http://www.countrysidemag.com/
>teaches how to grow your own food, which isn't exactly the question
>that you asked.
>
>My complete list of recommended food and gear suppliers is at:
>http://www.tincher.to/survival.htm

Thanks Rex, I'll take a look at your page and see if you have any that
I don't already have.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Perry Noid

A.T. Hagan > wrote:

> Who are you folks ordering food or storage food related
> equipment from?... Who do you like

The feed store 10 miles from my house.

> ...and why?

I know it's not likely food grade, but a bushel (60 lbs) of untreated
wheat "cleaned and bagged" costs me about $5, even cheaper if you've got
your own bulk container. Seems to me you're better off eating fresh
foods everyday whenever possible, but then have your big, cheap
stockpile of wheat (or whatever is grown locally that is =cheap=) as
TEOTWAWKI insurance. What is the likelyhood you'll ever need a big
stockpile? Plus in the event what kind of food would you be happy to
have? Would you rather have 800 lbs of animal feed or 100 lbs of food
grade? Plus in the event the looters will pass right over your stockpile
of "livestock feed" in the first couple waves of riots, giving you
plenty of time to move and hide it. It's so cheap you can afford to dump
and replace it every few years when grain prices are low. Or a pellet
stove can burn certain grains, allowing you to rotate your stockpile
without eating old food all the time /

There's advantages of each type of food. MREs and canned food are great
for quick meals, freeze dried foods have minimal weight which is great
if you must carry the food on your back, but dried bulk feed grains have
about 100 times the amount of food for the same amount of money!! I'd
rather have 600 lbs of ordinary wheat than 10 MREs which cost the same.
The only drawback is coming up with a place and a way to store it.