George Shirley

Default Putting it by on a Saturday

Got back from voting about 0830 this morning and started harvesting
basil. Ended up with a 5-gallon and a 10-quart bucket full and
overflowing. The leaves will be washed, run through the salad spinner,
and then put into the dehydrator. Some will be saved to make pesto for
later use. The pesto will be frozen in a bun pan, then cut into sections
to fit about a quart size vac bag. I've had some that was four years old
that was still good.

After the basil I moved on to the chiles, almost completely filled a 1.5
gallon bucket (former dishwasher detergent bucket) with mild and hot
chiles. I can heartily recommend a chile that ripens bright yellow
called Aji Limon de Peru. Takes about 120 days to fruit so might not be
suitable to cold climates. Apparently loves our cool (50-55F) fall
mornings and evenings as the stuff is ripening, putting on fruit, and
blooming like there's no tomorrow.

I now have about 8 gallons of assorted chiles in the freezer intended to
make hot sauce. After fermentation, etc. that will squeeze down to about
2 gallons of sauce. Will wait until next month to lay it down in the
crocks though, it will be cooler here with less chance of spoilage.

Life is good.

George

Feuer

George Shirley wrote:

> make hot sauce. After fermentation, etc. that will squeeze down to about
> 2 gallons of sauce.

Recipe?

DAvid
George Shirley

Do a Google search on this newsgroup and you should find it readily.
It's been posted several times before.

George