Kabouga

Default Sterilize question

Hi
I am a complete newbie. I would like to make some preserves but how does one
sterilize containers at home?

TIA

The Joneses

Kabouga wrote:

> Hi I am a complete newbie. I would like to make some preserves but how does
> one
> sterilize containers at home?

Be sure to read our FAQ at: http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm
You might want to get a couple books out of the liberry which explain the whys
and
wherefores, or pick up a Balls Blue Book from Walmart.
To answer your question I wash the jars & lids & rings, then place the jars only
in
my boiling water bath (big pot with a rack), cover with water, bring to boil
while
I'm preparing everything else, most often taking more than 15 minutes. The flat
lids
go into a pan and set over warm heat that barely simmers. I usually let my jam
cool slightly after the pectin-sugar-adding and boiling-furiously stage. At
this time
I remove the jars from the bath for filling.
Hope this helps. Do hang around here, lots of good advice & discussion.
Edrena in El Paso

Mark Preston

<snip>
how does one sterilize containers at home?

TIA

The Ball Blue Cook, commonly available whereever you buy canning
suppolies has the information you need.
Ophelia

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

> Whoops, my answer was also US-centric, but a little more complete I think.

The Ball website may
> have better info for our original poster. Or we could mail OP a blue book

if wanted?...

Please could you post the url for the Ball wesite??

Ophelia
Scotland

Scott

<http://www.homecanning.com/>

--
to email *off-topic* responses, change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
Ophelia

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > Please could you post the url for the Ball wesite??

> <http://www.homecanning.com/>

Thank you

Ophelia