zxcvbob

Default Ping Barb Shaller

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> I was getting 500-700 a day of the "SVEN.A" thank Barb. It's down to
>>> about 20 a day now. My ISP was sending me messages that my mailbox
>>> was full and I was sending them some to ask what the he** they were
>>> doing to stop viruses from coming through their server. The answer I
>>> got " we don't filter viruses because we might inadvertently invade
>>> someone's privacy." I'm a looking for a high speed ISP now that does
>>> filter the !@#$% viruses.
>>>

>> The swen worms were also filling up my 10MB server quota faster than I
>> could delete them.
>>
>> I'm using Charter media, and they gave me the same bullshit answer.
>> After I harangued them enough times, they showed me where I could set
>> up my own filters on the server. I reject any message over 140k, and
>> I can handle the rest without much trouble. Every couple of days I
>> take the filter off for a little while to see if they're still coming
>> -- they are but they've slowed down quite a bit.

> I had the best success with putting a spam block in my address. The
> messages dropped down to about 10/day in about 12 hours.

I've been using my real email address for almost 10 years and it's never
been a problem. Also, the German news server I use requires a valid
(verifiable) email return address. My ISP has a less restrictive news
server, but I like the German one better. I could use a throwaway
account, like @yahoo or @hotmail, but I prefer people to be able to
reply to me directly at an account that I actually monitor.

Best regards,
Bob

Deb

Default OT - spam - was: Ping Barb Shaller

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Simply done, put an extra word in your reply to address. In my

case it
> would be . when a robot harvests your

address
> it gets a "munged" (geek for messed up) address and attempts to

send
> spam to that one and it bounces, therefore the bot thinks it's a

bad
> address and erases it. Pretty much anything will do.
>
> George

Even better is to mung the address before it gets to the ISP.
(saves them time and bandwidth) ie:
Some of
the bots can now remove the obvious 'no spam' from the addresses.

Just think what wonderous things could be if the energy and skill
needed to devise the spam/worms/virus was put to a legitimate use.

Like zxcvbob, I use the German news server and have to use a real
address. I do notice lots of spam. Sometimes, when they don't use
BCC and I bother to look, I can guess which newsgroup they reaped
the addresses from. Since I've had the address for over 10 years
and don't want to change it, I just use the delete key a lot. ;<

Right now I'm having challenges with a new modem. I get 19200bps
when I'm not getting 16400bps. This round of spam/virus/worm is
143KB, 155KB, and 156KB. That just takes too long to download. I
wish EarthLink allowed for blocking because of size.

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

> reltuc wrote:
> > I know this is not preserving related, but how does one go about

putting a
> > spam block in the address?
> >
> > MAC, On. Ca.

Derric

> I wish EarthLink allowed for blocking because of size.

I don't know how comfortable you are with different software... but I see
that you are using Outlook Express for posting, so I assume that you're
using it for E-mail too. There is a free mail reader called "Eudora"
that will allow you to "Skip messages over _____ K Bytes in size." I
couldn't find a similar capability in MS Outlook Express or MS Outlook.

Eudora might do what you want if you're open to switching E-mail clients.
Eudora is available at "www.eudora.com" (look under Products -> Free
Download ). Eudora is one of the oldest E-mail clients on the Internet
and the "light" and "sponsored" versions are both free (Sponsored has
a small advertisment in the corner). I am not associated with Eudora
at all, in any way. I've just been a satisfied customer in the past
(however, these days I read E-mail/news in Unix/Linux). I have an old
version of the sponsored version on my machine I use on occasion.

Note... Eudora says it will "skip" those messages.... I don't know
what it will do with them after you skip them.... at some point
(perhaps overnight or something), you may have to download and delete
them, or perhaps you can delete them without downloading. Don't know.
It is also possible that Earthlink might expire them off the server....
(note that you wouldn't be able to leave them indefinitely or your space
will fill up at some point, whatever Earthlink's policy is).

Hey..... I just tried it and it's pretty neat. It downloads the header
of the E_mail and inserts a message saying that "the remainder didn't get
downloaded because of size." There is a button that you can then download
it if you want to, if the message still exists on the server. I still
don't know how it will get rid of the message stored on the server.

Anyway, just a thought. To keep from getting too far off topic, if
you want to discuss further, remove the "removethis." from the E-mail
address above. I don't read that address often, but I will eventually
respond.

Derric

Deb

"Derric" > wrote in message

> > I wish EarthLink allowed for blocking because of size.

> I don't know how comfortable you are with different software...

but I see
> that you are using Outlook Express for posting, so I assume that

you're
> using it for E-mail too. There is a free mail reader called

"Eudora"
> that will allow you to "Skip messages over _____ K Bytes in size."

> couldn't find a similar capability in MS Outlook Express or MS

Outlook.

Outlook has that same option. The problem is, while it isn't
downloaded, it does remain on the server. For now I'm having the
best luck going to Earthlink several times a day and deleting all
the spam there. It doesn't seem to take too many of the 143 - 155
kb messages to fill up the 10 MB storage. It has slowed down the
last few days...

I recently had Eudora installed - supposedly it isn't as suseptable
to virus. I'm having a bit of challenge setting it up to sort all
my mail lists... filtering takes time.... ;< Eudora is slower - I
noticed I had to wait for all messages to be displayed, while in
Outlook I can read messages while the download is taking place.
Eudora also connects to my ISP when it is time to check mail, even
though I have it checked not to. Nephew is coming over in a couple
of weeks. He'll give me another lesson - gotta love these kids! ;>

Terry M

"Deb" > wrote in message

> "Derric" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I wish EarthLink allowed for blocking because of size.

> > couldn't find a similar capability in MS Outlook Express or MS

> Outlook.
> >

> Outlook has that same option. The problem is, while it isn't
> downloaded, it does remain on the server.

Hi Deb
When using Outlook Express, go to Tools -- Message Rules -- Mail
Select New
In Box 1, Select "Where the message size is more than size"
In Box 2, Select "Delete it from server"
In Box 3, Input maximum number of lines (your choice)
Click OK
This should remove any oversize mail from your server.
Hope this helps.

Deb

"Terry M" > wrote in message
>> Hi Deb

> When using Outlook Express,

I use Outlook, not Express. This option is not available on
Outlook. Looks like the simplier program is better organized in
this instance. I only have the option to not download.

this too shall pass.... ;>

Deb

go to Tools -- Message Rules -- Mail
> Select New
> In Box 1, Select "Where the message size is more than size"
> In Box 2, Select "Delete it from server"
> In Box 3, Input maximum number of lines (your choice)
> Click OK
> This should remove any oversize mail from your server.
> Hope this helps.

Rick & Cyndi

"Deb" <
: I use Outlook, not Express. This option is not available on
: Outlook. Looks like the simplier program is better organized
in
: this instance. I only have the option to not download.
:
: this too shall pass.... ;>
:
: Deb
<snip>
============

Deb,

Try going to "Message".
Then go to "Create Rule From Message".
Then click on "Where the message size is more than size".
After that, go down to the 'Description' section, click on the
word "size" and it should give you another window where you input
what size you want blocked.

You may have to do this from your INBOX and not while you're in a
newsgroup.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>