Posted to rec.food.preserving
Serial # 19781010

Default Canning products with eggs

I was looking at a recipe for lemon curds (Recipe follows). If I
understand this correctly, does this mean this can be canned and
storred with other canned products? Is there a problem canning a
product with eggs? Would this be a water boil or a pressure cooker
issue? And how long would you do the water boil or pressure cooker for
half-pints and/or pint jars? Thanks in advance for any help.

LEMON CURD

This is a heavenly lemon spread. It's delicious on English muffins,
toast, or pancakes. Or blend it with an equal amount of whipped cream
and serve as an elegant dessert. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.

3/4 cup granulated sugar
Grated rind and juice (1/3 cup) of 2 lemons
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs, beaten

Put all ingredients in the top of a double boiler, over hot water.
Stir until mixture is well blended and begins to thicken. This takes
only a few minutes; it will continue to thicken as it cools. Pour
into hot, sterilized jars and seal, or into scrupulously cleaned jars
for refrigeration or freezing.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Serial # 19781010 wrote:
> I was looking at a recipe for lemon curds (Recipe follows). If I
> understand this correctly, does this mean this can be canned and
> storred with other canned products? Is there a problem canning a
> product with eggs? Would this be a water boil or a pressure cooker
> issue? And how long would you do the water boil or pressure cooker for
> half-pints and/or pint jars? Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> LEMON CURD
>
> This is a heavenly lemon spread. It's delicious on English muffins,
> toast, or pancakes. Or blend it with an equal amount of whipped cream
> and serve as an elegant dessert. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
>
> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
> Grated rind and juice (1/3 cup) of 2 lemons
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs, beaten
>
> Put all ingredients in the top of a double boiler, over hot water.
> Stir until mixture is well blended and begins to thicken. This takes
> only a few minutes; it will continue to thicken as it cools. Pour
> into hot, sterilized jars and seal, or into scrupulously cleaned jars
> for refrigeration or freezing.

Bob Pastorio has posted a tested recipe for Lemon Curd here a few times.
You're not going to find an officially sanctioned recipe. Your
recipe looks fine to me, but I don't know if the proportions are right
or not.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Serial # 19781010 wrote:
> I was looking at a recipe for lemon curds (Recipe follows). If I
> understand this correctly, does this mean this can be canned and
> storred with other canned products? Is there a problem canning a
> product with eggs? Would this be a water boil or a pressure cooker
> issue? And how long would you do the water boil or pressure cooker for
> half-pints and/or pint jars? Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> LEMON CURD
>
> This is a heavenly lemon spread. It's delicious on English muffins,
> toast, or pancakes. Or blend it with an equal amount of whipped cream
> and serve as an elegant dessert. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
>
> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
> Grated rind and juice (1/3 cup) of 2 lemons
> 1/2 cup butter
> 3 eggs, beaten
>
> Put all ingredients in the top of a double boiler, over hot water.
> Stir until mixture is well blended and begins to thicken. This takes
> only a few minutes; it will continue to thicken as it cools. Pour
> into hot, sterilized jars and seal, or into scrupulously cleaned jars
> for refrigeration or freezing.

There is a tested recipe on the National USDA site. I found it rather
finicky and not as good tasting as the one that I usually make. But it
is tested and safe which yours might or might not be. However, that was
where I learned that you can freeze lemon curd without its breaking,
which is what I now do.
Ellen