FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Does pectin go bad? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/76526-does-pectin-go-bad.html)

Will Wagner 14-12-2005 06:15 PM

Does pectin go bad?

Howdy all,

Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
I'm just curious.

Will

--
Will Wagner / / http://www.ymb.net/
"Keep it simple: as simple as possible, but no simpler." -- A. Einstein

Brian Mailman 14-12-2005 08:05 PM

Does pectin go bad?

Will Wagner wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
> some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
> Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
> I'm just curious.

Should be fine. I had some I found behind the washing machine dated
from 5 years before that and it was OK.

B/

ellen wickberg 14-12-2005 08:27 PM

Does pectin go bad?

Will Wagner wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
> some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
> Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
> I'm just curious.
>
> Will

The only problems I have ever noticed are with liquid pectin. It
becomes solid, rather than liquid, at some point. I don't know if it
would still work well if it were broken up so that it could be quickly
stirred in or not. Otherwise, the dates on pectin don't seem to have
made any difference in our jams or jellies in the Canning Kitchen.
Ellen

Will Wagner 15-12-2005 10:49 PM

Does pectin go bad?

In article <Im_nf.112964$Gd6.68143@pd7tw3no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:
>Will Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
>> some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
>> Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
>> I'm just curious.
>>

>The only problems I have ever noticed are with liquid pectin. It
>becomes solid, rather than liquid, at some point. I don't know if it
>would still work well if it were broken up so that it could be quickly
>stirred in or not. Otherwise, the dates on pectin don't seem to have
>made any difference in our jams or jellies in the Canning Kitchen.

OK, thanks for the responses everybody. A jammin' we will go... :)

Will