Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bart

Default Newbie pressure canning questions

Hi all,
bought an old National #5 pressure canner, replaced the seals &
gauge, but can't find a manual for it.
I was planning on canning some salmon but I'm not sure how much water
to put in it.
I've put in 2 quarts of water , then filled the bottom with 7 x 250ml
"salmon" jars and the water level comes up to about ~3/4" from the
top of the jars.
Is this about right or should the water be covering the lids?
( Yes, I have the rack thing on the bottom)
Also, can I simply stack a second layer of jars on top of the bottom
jars, sort of offset (or "nested" on top?), or do I need another rack
thing?
I've already got times/pressure, etc. for the pressure canning, just
need a "starting point".
My apologies for all the questions..just don't know of anyone
personally that does this kind of thing.
Thanks in Advance! :-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Dwayne

"Bart" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> bought an old National #5 pressure canner, replaced the seals &
> gauge, but can't find a manual for it.
> I was planning on canning some salmon but I'm not sure how much water
> to put in it.

I have to add 2 quarts of water to the canner to make steam for the canning
process. Then I fill the jars with water leaving 1/2 inch of headspace (the
distance between the inside of the lid and the top of the water in the jar).

> I've put in 2 quarts of water , then filled the bottom with 7 x 250ml
> "salmon" jars and the water level comes up to about ~3/4" from the
> top of the jars.
> Is this about right or should the water be covering the lids?

I dont understand your question here. You dont have to cover the jars with
water when canning in a pressure canner, but you do if you are Hot Water
Bathing jars of fruit. Is that what you ment?

> ( Yes, I have the rack thing on the bottom)
> Also, can I simply stack a second layer of jars on top of the bottom
> jars, sort of offset (or "nested" on top?), or do I need another rack
> thing?

I stack them on top of each other without staggering them or putting a
spacer between them.

Have fun and if you have any more questions, ask. Dwayne

> I've already got times/pressure, etc. for the pressure canning, just
> need a "starting point".
> My apologies for all the questions..just don't know of anyone
> personally that does this kind of thing.
> Thanks in Advance! :-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Bart wrote:

> Hi all,
> bought an old National #5 pressure canner, replaced the seals &
> gauge, but can't find a manual for it.
> I was planning on canning some salmon but I'm not sure how much water
> to put in it.
> I've put in 2 quarts of water , then filled the bottom with 7 x 250ml
> "salmon" jars and the water level comes up to about ~3/4" from the
> top of the jars.
> Is this about right or should the water be covering the lids?
> ( Yes, I have the rack thing on the bottom)
> Also, can I simply stack a second layer of jars on top of the bottom
> jars, sort of offset (or "nested" on top?), or do I need another rack
> thing?
> I've already got times/pressure, etc. for the pressure canning, just
> need a "starting point".
> My apologies for all the questions..just don't know of anyone
> personally that does this kind of thing.
> Thanks in Advance! :-)

I'm not familiar with your pressure canner but perhaps you can find the
manual online? The amount of water needed is determined by the size of
the canner if my manual is any indication. My 22 qt pressure canner
calls for 2 1/2 qt water for a full canner load and 3 qt for a part load
for proper pressure. The water should not be covering the lids. You
should use a rack between the two layers of jars.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Bart > wrote:

> Hi all,
> bought an old National #5 pressure canner, replaced the seals &
> gauge, but can't find a manual for it.
> I was planning on canning some salmon but I'm not sure how much water
> to put in it.
> I've put in 2 quarts of water , then filled the bottom with 7 x 250ml
> "salmon" jars and the water level comes up to about ~3/4" from the
> top of the jars.
> Is this about right or should the water be covering the lids?
> ( Yes, I have the rack thing on the bottom)
> Also, can I simply stack a second layer of jars on top of the bottom
> jars, sort of offset (or "nested" on top?), or do I need another rack
> thing?
> I've already got times/pressure, etc. for the pressure canning, just
> need a "starting point".
> My apologies for all the questions..just don't know of anyone
> personally that does this kind of thing.
> Thanks in Advance! :-)

Bart, here are a couple links with some information. Bookmark the NCHFP
Home Page - it's research-based information and I'd trust their advise.

The first link is basic information about canning fish.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/fish.html

The second is one that was done by the folks at the University of Alaska
and it is quite detailed. Bear in mind that information for processing
is geared to quart (liter) jars.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/...ish_qtjars.pdf

I see you're a Canuck. :-) Do you have a cop;y of the Bernardin Guide
to Home Preserving? Page 112 (3rd Edn.) has the information for time
and psi/kPa in a pressure canner.

You need a rack between layers of jars so that the steam can circulate
properly.

"Salmon jars"? I'm guessing that that's a wide-mouth jar and you're
using a half-pint size. You can jerryrig a rack with strips of balsa
wood - that's what my mom used to use.

Be sure to consider your altitude when you're choosing processing
psi/kBa and times.

I hope you find something helpful here. Good luck with it - I've had
home-canned salmon and it was wonderful!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Bart > wrote:

> Hi all,
> bought an old National #5 pressure canner, replaced the seals &
> gauge, but can't find a manual for it.

Bart, here's the location of the rec.food.preserving FAQ file, too.
It's got lots of good information in it, too. We're indebted to Jack
Eddington for hosting and maintaining it. I forgot to include it in my
other reply,

http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
for Nephew Pat's wedding last weekend.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bart

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:53:11 GMT, Bart > wrote:

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Canned 13 1/2 pint jars of coho today, only screwed up one jar by
"playing" with it right out of the canner! Dohh!.

Already made a salmon salad with the "mistake" ( tastes pretty good!).

I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
(into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes ) & all went well!

Almost forgot,.. added 1/4 tsp. of home smoked sea salt to each jar
prior to the canning ( & no water/ketchup /oil/whatever).

Squab in pint jars may be the next project (scary Xmas presents?) ;-)

Thanks again! :-)

{& yes, I'm on the "wet coast" of Canada}

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Bart > wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:53:11 GMT, Bart > wrote:
>
> Thanks everyone for all your help!

You're welcome.

> Canned 13 1/2 pint jars of coho today, only screwed up one jar by
> "playing" with it right out of the canner! Dohh!.

You'll learn. Lesson Learned.

> Already made a salmon salad with the "mistake" ( tastes pretty good!).
>
> I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
> the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
> for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
> (into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes )

Excellent!! I want one! I've been trying to figure a second rack for a
stockpot bwb for my half pint jars and that's one suggestion that had
been made to me. I just never figured out where to get it done.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Bart > wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:53:11 GMT, Bart > wrote:
>>
>>Thanks everyone for all your help!

> You're welcome.
>
>>Canned 13 1/2 pint jars of coho today, only screwed up one jar by
>>"playing" with it right out of the canner! Dohh!.

> You'll learn. Lesson Learned.
>

>>Already made a salmon salad with the "mistake" ( tastes pretty good!).
>>
>>I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
>>the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
>>for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
>> (into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes )

> Excellent!! I want one! I've been trying to figure a second rack for a
> stockpot bwb for my half pint jars and that's one suggestion that had
> been made to me. I just never figured out where to get it done.

Barb: I can send you one of the four microwave/convection oven circular
racks I have. What's the diameter of your stockpot? None of them fit my
water bath canner and I only need two of them.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Bart > wrote:
> >

> >>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:53:11 GMT, Bart > wrote:
> >>
> >>Thanks everyone for all your help!

> > You're welcome.
> >
> >>Canned 13 1/2 pint jars of coho today, only screwed up one jar by
> >>"playing" with it right out of the canner! Dohh!.

> > You'll learn. Lesson Learned.
> >

> >>Already made a salmon salad with the "mistake" ( tastes pretty good!).
> >>
> >>I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
> >>the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
> >>for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
> >> (into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes )

> > Excellent!! I want one! I've been trying to figure a second rack for a
> > stockpot bwb for my half pint jars and that's one suggestion that had
> > been made to me. I just never figured out where to get it done.

> Barb: I can send you one of the four microwave/convection oven circular
> racks I have. What's the diameter of your stockpot? None of them fit my
> water bath canner and I only need two of them.
>
> George

Oh, Baby, oh Baby! I'll check - it's an odd circumstance.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Bart > wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:53:11 GMT, Bart > wrote:
>>
>>Thanks everyone for all your help!

> You're welcome.
>
>>Canned 13 1/2 pint jars of coho today, only screwed up one jar by
>>"playing" with it right out of the canner! Dohh!.

> You'll learn. Lesson Learned.
>

>>Already made a salmon salad with the "mistake" ( tastes pretty good!).
>>
>>I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
>>the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
>>for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
>> (into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes )

> Excellent!! I want one! I've been trying to figure a second rack for a
> stockpot bwb for my half pint jars and that's one suggestion that had
> been made to me. I just never figured out where to get it done.

Barb, I found a round metal cooling rack believe it or not at a dollar
store that fits nicely in my medium sized stock pot. I use it for small
bwb canner loads. A second of the same type of cooling rack works fine
for the small wide mouth 1/2 250-ml jars as in the salmon jars. I use
those jars occasionally for small batches of jellies like hot pepper jelly.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bart

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:05:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>> I ended up adding water ( to the canner) to within ~1" of the top of
>> the bottom layer of ( the short/wide mouth) jars, constructed a rack
>> for the second layer out of an old aluminum printing press plate
>> (into which I drilled a dozen 1" holes )

>Excellent!! I want one! I've been trying to figure a second rack for a
>stockpot bwb for my half pint jars and that's one suggestion that had
>been made to me. I just never figured out where to get it done.

The plate is only 0.011" thick ( almost dangerously thin).
If I ever get off my posterior to machine something of a decent
thickness (~1/32"-1/8"), let me know the diameter you need & I'll
make you one.

Attempting to make "potted meat" as we speak.
Not terribly big on it, but had it as a kid & wouldn't mind trying to
"clone "it.
They want between $1.25 & $3.00 for a tiny tin of it nowadays ( for
what essentially contains leftover guts), but I'm obviously using
somewhat better ingredients (but if it isn't tasty, maybe I'll try
using guts?). ;-)

pressure canning dave Preserving 7 22-08-2014 01:43 AM
Newbie's trying to wing it / pressure canning apricot jubilee Becca[_4_] Preserving 5 13-07-2009 01:22 AM
pressure canning dave Preserving 4 06-08-2008 08:43 PM
pressure canning Jeneen Sommers Preserving 2 25-08-2005 09:14 PM
Newbie looking for a pressure canning group Bill Velek Preserving 7 06-10-2004 01:25 AM