Posted to rec.food.preserving
pete

Default Whiskey mustard

The directions on my mustard powder,
said to mix it with cold water, just prior to use.
It does work best that way.
I was wondering why it couldn't be stored that way in the fridge,
and why mustard is never sold made with water instead of vinegar.
I figured it's because mustard powder is flour,
and probably prone to spoilage.
When I mix mustard powder in with regular mustard,
it's not as hot as what I get from mixing it with water.
I think the vinegar cuts the heat a lot.
Cheap Whiskey and mustard powder!
That's hot, and doesn't spoil.
Not quite as hot as mustard and water, but very close.

When I put it in a squeeze bottle, I find it's best to pinch
the bottle a little before sealing it.
If I take the bottle out of the fridge and it's sealed
and not squeezed, there's some chance that the bottle
might pressurize if I let it get warm before I open it,
which isn't disasterous, but I like it better when it doesn't spit.

--
pete
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg

pete wrote:

> The directions on my mustard powder,
> said to mix it with cold water, just prior to use.
> It does work best that way.
> I was wondering why it couldn't be stored that way in the fridge,
> and why mustard is never sold made with water instead of vinegar.

I think it is. The kind labeled chinese mustard, i.e. the hot
stuff you get in little packages with chinese food, is ground
yellow mustard seed and water.

I mix this up and keep it in the fridge for a month of so.
Haven't had problems with spoilage this way. It diminishes
in heat level after awhile, but it doesn't go bad.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Nov 2005 07:20:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it pete?

> The directions on my mustard powder,
> said to mix it with cold water, just prior to use.
> It does work best that way.
> I was wondering why it couldn't be stored that way in the fridge,
> and why mustard is never sold made with water instead of vinegar.
> I figured it's because mustard powder is flour,
> and probably prone to spoilage.
> When I mix mustard powder in with regular mustard,
> it's not as hot as what I get from mixing it with water.
> I think the vinegar cuts the heat a lot.
> Cheap Whiskey and mustard powder!
> That's hot, and doesn't spoil.
> Not quite as hot as mustard and water, but very close.
>
> When I put it in a squeeze bottle, I find it's best to pinch
> the bottle a little before sealing it.
> If I take the bottle out of the fridge and it's sealed
> and not squeezed, there's some chance that the bottle
> might pressurize if I let it get warm before I open it,
> which isn't disasterous, but I like it better when it doesn't spit.

If you like mustard mixed with whiskey, for a different twist make a sweet
hot mustard using mustard powder mixed with Drambuie. It's delicious and
worth the splurge.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.preserving
pete

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> If you like mustard mixed with whiskey,
> for a different twist make a sweet
> hot mustard using mustard powder mixed with Drambuie.
> It's delicious and worth the splurge.

Thanks, and to Reg too.

--
pete
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 21 Nov 2005 06:34:35a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it pete?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> If you like mustard mixed with whiskey, for a different twist make a
>> sweet hot mustard using mustard powder mixed with Drambuie.
>> It's delicious and worth the splurge.

> Thanks, and to Reg too.

You're welcome. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Whole mustard seeds in my mustard Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 16 18-09-2012 11:28 PM
Old whiskey Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-02-2010 05:14 PM
Whiskey Balls Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2005 03:14 AM
Rum and Whiskey John Gaughan General Cooking 33 23-02-2004 06:40 AM
Mustard powder substitute for mustard seeds George General Cooking 1 30-12-2003 10:40 AM