Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Default Pickles ??????

I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never
seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning
boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good
recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate
Posted to rec.food.preserving
tranch

"Kate" > wrote in message
>I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have them
>sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never seen a
>recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning boiled
>eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good recipe I can
>try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are information on the idea.
>Thanks in advance. Kate

I've never made this recipe, but it doesn't say these have to be
refrigerated. Maybe you'd like to give these a try.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pickled Eggs.

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup white wine -- optional
1 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
8 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
10 hard cooked eggs -- peeled

In a small saucepan bring all ingredients, except eggs, to a boil, reduce
heat and simmer 3 minutes. Pour mixture into ceramic bowl or glass jars and
add eggs. Allow to sit in brine from 2 days to 2 weeks before serving.

Source:
"rec.food.recipes."

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

tranch wrote:
> "Kate" > wrote in message
>
>>I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have them
>>sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never seen a
>>recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning boiled
>>eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good recipe I can
>>try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are information on the idea.
>>Thanks in advance. Kate

> I've never made this recipe, but it doesn't say these have to be
> refrigerated. Maybe you'd like to give these a try.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pickled Eggs.
>
> Recipe By :
> Categories :

> 1 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
> 1/3 cup white wine -- optional
> 1 cup water
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon allspice
> 8 peppercorns
> 3 whole cloves
> 3 cloves garlic
> 1 bay leaf
> 10 hard cooked eggs -- peeled
>
> In a small saucepan bring all ingredients, except eggs, to a boil, reduce
> heat and simmer 3 minutes. Pour mixture into ceramic bowl or glass jars and
> add eggs. Allow to sit in brine from 2 days to 2 weeks before serving.
>
> Source:
> "rec.food.recipes."

These are the kinds of recipes I find. No mention of keeping as long (
or hot summer days, either ) as I was remembering. I don't think they do
that anymore. But it had to be pretty safe . So many people did make
them. Thanks, kate>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kate > wrote:

>I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
>them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never
>seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning
>boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good
>recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
>information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

Here's some interesting reading.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Kate wrote:

> I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
> them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never
> seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning
> boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good
> recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
> information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

Here's the one I use.

Sweet Pickled Eggs
(keeps in refrigerator for at least 6 mo)

12 lg hard-boiled eggs, shelled
lg onion, sliced in rings

brine
2 c white vinegar
2 c water
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp table salt
1 tbsp mixed pickling spice, tied in double layer of cheesecloth

Layer whole eggs and onion rings in 1 L or 1.5 L jar to within 2.5 cm of
top.

brine
Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan. Stire over medium
heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then remove from heat. Add
pickling spice. Swish bag around for 30 sec and remove. Pour brine
over eggs to fill jars to within 6 mm of top. Seal. Let stand 1 - 2
weeks in refrigerator before serving. Serve chilled.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

> wrote in message
> Kate > wrote:
>
> >I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
> >them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never
> >seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about canning
> >boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good
> >recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
> >information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

> Here's some interesting reading.
> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
>
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

wow, interesting read. When I make pickled eggs (and I think it's your
recipe I use, Ross) I store them in the fridge. Until they're all eaten.
For a week...or a month...or whatever...This guy ate week old eggs that were
stored at room temp....kinda makes me nervous now.....will read up on it
some more I think.........and will never eat 'em if stored at room temp -
wouldn't want to take any chances

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > Kate > wrote:
> >
> > >I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
> > >them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have never
> > >seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about

canning
> > >boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a good
> > >recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
> > >information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

> > Here's some interesting reading.
> > http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
> >
> > Ross.
> > To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

> wow, interesting read. When I make pickled eggs (and I think it's your
> recipe I use, Ross) I store them in the fridge. Until they're all eaten.
> For a week...or a month...or whatever...This guy ate week old eggs that

were
> stored at room temp....kinda makes me nervous now.....will read up on it
> some more I think.........and will never eat 'em if stored at room temp -
> wouldn't want to take any chances
>
> Kathi

I just finished reading that article

To reduce the risk for botulism when pickling, food items should be washed
and cooked adequately, and utensils, containers, and other surfaces in
contact with food, including cutting boards and hands, should be cleaned
thoroughly with soap and warm water. Containers (e.g., jars and lids) in
which pickling will occur should be sterilized (e.g., placed in boiling
water for the prescribed period published in the container instructions)
(3). Adequate acidification to a pH <4.6 is essential. Refrigeration at 39 F
(4 C) during pickling is advisable, especially in foods that may be
acidified inadequately such as whole eggs. Once opened, any canned or
pickled food should be refrigerated. Pricking, poking holes, or otherwise
handling whole eggs in a manner that might allow spores or bacteria into the
yolk should be avoided.
so keeping my eggs in the fridge is a good thing, pricking them (which I've
never done) is a bad thing.....

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Hermione wrote:

> Kate wrote:
>
>> I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
>> them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have
>> never seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered about
>> canning boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here have a
>> good recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate them. Are
>> information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

> Here's the one I use.
>
> Sweet Pickled Eggs
> (keeps in refrigerator for at least 6 mo)
>
> 12 lg hard-boiled eggs, shelled
> lg onion, sliced in rings
>
> brine
> 2 c white vinegar
> 2 c water
> 1/2 c granulated sugar
> 1 tsp table salt
> 1 tbsp mixed pickling spice, tied in double layer of cheesecloth
>
> Layer whole eggs and onion rings in 1 L or 1.5 L jar to within 2.5 cm of
> top.
>
> brine
> Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan. Stire over medium
> heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then remove from heat. Add
> pickling spice. Swish bag around for 30 sec and remove. Pour brine
> over eggs to fill jars to within 6 mm of top. Seal. Let stand 1 - 2
> weeks in refrigerator before serving. Serve chilled.

This sounds very good. I was wondering about the water , or beet juice
added , in so many recipes. And the vinegar only sounds so sour. Do
added spices mellow the sour taste any? Thank you for the recipe, kate
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Kathi Jones wrote:

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>
> wrote in message
. ..

> canning

>>>Here's some interesting reading.
>>>http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
>>>
>>>Ross.
>>>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

>>wow, interesting read. When I make pickled eggs (and I think it's your
>>recipe I use, Ross) I store them in the fridge. Until they're all eaten.
>>For a week...or a month...or whatever...This guy ate week old eggs that

> were
>
>>stored at room temp....kinda makes me nervous now.....will read up on it
>>some more I think.........and will never eat 'em if stored at room temp -
>>wouldn't want to take any chances
>>
>>Kathi
>>

> I just finished reading that article
>
> To reduce the risk for botulism when pickling, food items should be washed
> and cooked adequately, and utensils, containers, and other surfaces in
> contact with food, including cutting boards and hands, should be cleaned
> thoroughly with soap and warm water. Containers (e.g., jars and lids) in
> which pickling will occur should be sterilized (e.g., placed in boiling
> water for the prescribed period published in the container instructions)
> (3). Adequate acidification to a pH <4.6 is essential. Refrigeration at 39 F
> (4 C) during pickling is advisable, especially in foods that may be
> acidified inadequately such as whole eggs. Once opened, any canned or
> pickled food should be refrigerated. Pricking, poking holes, or otherwise
> handling whole eggs in a manner that might allow spores or bacteria into the
> yolk should be avoided.
> so keeping my eggs in the fridge is a good thing, pricking them (which I've
> never done) is a bad thing.....
>

> Kathi
>
> I sure agree with that. Thanks, kate

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ophelia

"Kate" > wrote in message
>> Kate > wrote:
>>

>>>I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
>>>them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have
>>>never seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered
>>>about canning boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here
>>>have a good recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate
>>>them. Are information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

>> Here's some interesting reading.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

>> Ross.
>> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

> Very interesting. I am very cautious about anything I try like this. I
> was just wondering about the pickled eggs of old. Thank you , kate

Kate you may have my recipe for pickled eggs if you wish but it may not
be very popular in this age of process 'everything'

My family and our visitors have been eating my eggs for years with no
ill effects so I leave it up to you)

Hard boil and shell your eggs. Cover with boiling vinegar and allow to
stand for a couple of months before eating. (this allows the vingar to
become mellow) These do not stay in my fridge but in a cool place. I
prefer malt vinegar with mine but white vinegar is fine)

Ophelia
Scotland

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Ophelia wrote:

>>>Here's some interesting reading.
>>>http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
>>>
>>>Ross.
>>>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

>>Very interesting. I am very cautious about anything I try like this. I
>>was just wondering about the pickled eggs of old. Thank you , kate

> Kate you may have my recipe for pickled eggs if you wish but it may not
> be very popular in this age of process 'everything'
>
> My family and our visitors have been eating my eggs for years with no
> ill effects so I leave it up to you)
>
> Hard boil and shell your eggs. Cover with boiling vinegar and allow to
> stand for a couple of months before eating. (this allows the vingar to
> become mellow) These do not stay in my fridge but in a cool place. I
> prefer malt vinegar with mine but white vinegar is fine)
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland
>
> Thank you for your family recipe . I may try it. Do you put any spices in with the vinagar?

This does sound more like the recipe I have thought it might have been.
Couldn't believe the weakening vinegar mixture would be safe. Especially
long term, such as those I remembered. Kate
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ophelia

"Kate" > wrote in message

>> Thank you for your family recipe . I may try it. Do you put any
>> spices in with the vinagar?

That is a matter of choice, I don't like them but others do)

> This does sound more like the recipe I have thought it might have
> been. Couldn't believe the weakening vinegar mixture would be safe.
> Especially long term, such as those I remembered. Kate

Yes.. I usually boil the vinegar for around 10 minutes. Of course that
makes it stronger too.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Ophelia wrote:
> "Kate" > wrote in message
>

>>>Thank you for your family recipe . I may try it. Do you put any
>>>spices in with the vinagar?

> That is a matter of choice, I don't like them but others do)
>

>>This does sound more like the recipe I have thought it might have
>>been. Couldn't believe the weakening vinegar mixture would be safe.
>>Especially long term, such as those I remembered. Kate

> Yes.. I usually boil the vinegar for around 10 minutes. Of course that
> makes it stronger too.
>
> Thank you a lot Ophelia, I thik I have to give it a go. Wil think about the spices more though.Hugs

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ophelia

"Kate" > wrote in message

>> That is a matter of choice, I don't like them but others do)
>>

>>>This does sound more like the recipe I have thought it might have
>>>been. Couldn't believe the weakening vinegar mixture would be safe.
>>>Especially long term, such as those I remembered. Kate

>> Yes.. I usually boil the vinegar for around 10 minutes. Of course
>> that makes it stronger too. Thank you a lot Ophelia, I thik I have to
>> give it a go. Wil think about the spices more though.Hugs

You are most welcome) Just remember.. the vinegar is strong so you
need to allow it plenty of time to mellow. Oh btw I make my pickled
onions just the same except I use the onions raw

Do let me know how you get on

Hugs to you too)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Ophelia wrote:
> "Kate" > wrote in message

>>>That is a matter of choice, I don't like them but others do)

>>>Yes.. I usually boil the vinegar for around 10 minutes. Of course
>>>that makes it stronger too. Thank you a lot Ophelia, I thik I have to
>>>give it a go. Wil think about the spices more though.Hugs

> You are most welcome) Just remember.. the vinegar is strong so you
> need to allow it plenty of time to mellow. Oh btw I make my pickled
> onions just the same except I use the onions raw
>
> Do let me know how you get on
>
> Hugs to you too)

Will do. I may not get to experiment with this for awhile. Have a lot
of busy days ahead. Thank you again. big hug
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 16 Nov 2005 05:34:35a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "Kate" > wrote in message
>> wrote:

>>> Here's some interesting reading.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

>>> Ross.
>>> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

>> Very interesting. I am very cautious about anything I try like this. I
>> was just wondering about the pickled eggs of old. Thank you , kate

> Kate you may have my recipe for pickled eggs if you wish but it may not
> be very popular in this age of process 'everything'
>
> My family and our visitors have been eating my eggs for years with no
> ill effects so I leave it up to you)
>
> Hard boil and shell your eggs. Cover with boiling vinegar and allow to
> stand for a couple of months before eating. (this allows the vingar to
> become mellow) These do not stay in my fridge but in a cool place. I
> prefer malt vinegar with mine but white vinegar is fine)
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

FWIW, Ophelia, your "cool place" in Scotland is no doubt a lot cooler than
the average storage space in a US kitchen or pantry. I don't know if that
would work as well here in the US. Might be better to refrigerate.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Kate > wrote:

> Hermione wrote:

> > Here's the one I use.

(snip)
> > brine
> > 2 c white vinegar
> > 2 c water
> > 1/2 c granulated sugar
> > 1 tsp table salt
> > 1 tbsp mixed pickling spice, tied in double layer of cheesecloth

(snip)
> This sounds very good. I was wondering about the water , or beet juice
> added , in so many recipes. And the vinegar only sounds so sour. Do
> added spices mellow the sour taste any? Thank you for the recipe, kate

At least as much vinegar as water (1:1 ratio) is the current
recommendation for safety in pickling. The sugar will sweeten the taste
without affecting the acid level,
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 16 Nov 2005 05:34:35a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Ophelia?

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

>>> Very interesting. I am very cautious about anything I try like this.
>>> was just wondering about the pickled eggs of old. Thank you , kate

>> Kate you may have my recipe for pickled eggs if you wish but it may
>> not
>> be very popular in this age of process 'everything'
>>
>> My family and our visitors have been eating my eggs for years with no
>> ill effects so I leave it up to you)
>>
>> Hard boil and shell your eggs. Cover with boiling vinegar and allow
>> stand for a couple of months before eating. (this allows the vingar
>> become mellow) These do not stay in my fridge but in a cool place. I
>> prefer malt vinegar with mine but white vinegar is fine)
>>
>> Ophelia
>> Scotland

> FWIW, Ophelia, your "cool place" in Scotland is no doubt a lot cooler
> than
> the average storage space in a US kitchen or pantry. I don't know if
> that
> would work as well here in the US. Might be better to refrigerate.

It won't do any harm to put them in the fridge

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> FWIW, Ophelia, your "cool place" in Scotland is no doubt a lot cooler than
> the average storage space in a US kitchen or pantry.

Rather... it's like red wine to be served at 'room temperature'--said
temp is based on European rooms. We'd say 'slightly chilled.'

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Kate wrote:

> Hermione wrote:
>
>> Kate wrote:
>>
>>> I have been wondering about canning pickled eggs . People use to have
>>> them sitting around un-refrigerated. Especially in Bars. I have
>>> never seen a recipe to be able to do that. I have also, wondered
>>> about canning boiled eggs for camping. hiking, etc. Does anyone here
>>> have a good recipe I can try for either? Would really appreciate
>>> them. Are information on the idea. Thanks in advance. Kate

>> Here's the one I use.
>>
>> Sweet Pickled Eggs
>> (keeps in refrigerator for at least 6 mo)
>>
>> 12 lg hard-boiled eggs, shelled
>> lg onion, sliced in rings
>>
>> brine
>> 2 c white vinegar
>> 2 c water
>> 1/2 c granulated sugar
>> 1 tsp table salt
>> 1 tbsp mixed pickling spice, tied in double layer of cheesecloth
>>
>> Layer whole eggs and onion rings in 1 L or 1.5 L jar to within 2.5 cm
>> of top.
>>
>> brine
>> Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan. Stire over
>> medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then remove from
>> heat. Add pickling spice. Swish bag around for 30 sec and remove.
>> Pour brine over eggs to fill jars to within 6 mm of top. Seal. Let
>> stand 1 - 2 weeks in refrigerator before serving. Serve chilled.

> This sounds very good. I was wondering about the water , or beet juice
> added , in so many recipes. And the vinegar only sounds so sour. Do
> added spices mellow the sour taste any? Thank you for the recipe, kate

Kate, when I make these I don't really considered them "canned" as there
has been no processing as in other types of pickles (e.g. bwb). So the
jars do actually form a vacuum which is why the recommended way to store
them is in the refrigerator. I've never used beet juice as I don't like
the idea of pinky red eggs. The vinegar is not really sour as the sugar
helps to mellow it a bit. The spices just add zip to the pickled eggs.
BTW, I don't know of a way of canning pickled eggs. I presume there
is a commercial way to do it as some of the smaller taverns have huge
bottles of pickled eggs sitting on their bars. I don't know of a home
method for actually canning pickled eggs though.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kate

Hermione wrote:
> Kate wrote:
>
>> Hermione wrote:

>>> Here's the one I use.
>>>
>>> Sweet Pickled Eggs
>>> (keeps in refrigerator for at least 6 mo)
>>>
>>> 12 lg hard-boiled eggs, shelled
>>> lg onion, sliced in rings
>>>
>>> brine
>>> 2 c white vinegar
>>> 2 c water
>>> 1/2 c granulated sugar
>>> 1 tsp table salt
>>> 1 tbsp mixed pickling spice, tied in double layer of cheesecloth
>>>
>>> Layer whole eggs and onion rings in 1 L or 1.5 L jar to within 2.5 cm
>>> of top.
>>>
>>> brine
>>> Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan. Stire over
>>> medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil then remove from
>>> heat. Add pickling spice. Swish bag around for 30 sec and remove.
>>> Pour brine over eggs to fill jars to within 6 mm of top. Seal. Let
>>> stand 1 - 2 weeks in refrigerator before serving. Serve chilled.

>> This sounds very good. I was wondering about the water , or beet juice
>> added , in so many recipes. And the vinegar only sounds so sour. Do
>> added spices mellow the sour taste any? Thank you for the recipe, kate

> Kate, when I make these I don't really considered them "canned" as there
> has been no processing as in other types of pickles (e.g. bwb). So the
> jars do actually form a vacuum which is why the recommended way to store
> them is in the refrigerator. I've never used beet juice as I don't like
> the idea of pinky red eggs. The vinegar is not really sour as the sugar
> helps to mellow it a bit. The spices just add zip to the pickled eggs.
> BTW, I don't know of a way of canning pickled eggs. I presume there is
> a commercial way to do it as some of the smaller taverns have huge
> bottles of pickled eggs sitting on their bars. I don't know of a home
> method for actually canning pickled eggs though.

I want be able to do anything for a few weeks at least. But I do think
I want to give this experiment some thought and eventually try a recipe
without extra liquid. I will do the vinegar only . Thanks again, kate

Pickles The Cook Preserving 16 04-07-2011 12:44 PM
Pickles Mark A.Meggs Preserving 2 20-07-2010 03:39 AM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
hot pickles grawun General Cooking 18 04-12-2006 02:43 PM
pickles [email protected] General Cooking 15 19-11-2005 09:39 PM