Posted to rec.food.preserving
MW

Default Pickles, Anyone?

So, after I picked my cukes this late summer, I put them in large jars
with salt water as per the Ball Blue Book (maybe a bit more salt than
they indicated) and added some vinegar. I then stored them in my
basement (about 60 degrees down there), and removed the mold that
formed on top and kept the jars topped off with vinegar, as well as
adding more salt over time.

When the mold stopped forming, I didn't do much else (except keep the
liquid level high with vinegar). They have been in these brining jars
for almost 4 months.

Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
they pretty much ruined?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

MW wrote:

> Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
> they pretty much ruined?

Kinda sounds like you've made pickles....

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
MW

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:32:42 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>MW wrote:
>
>> Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
>> they pretty much ruined?

>Kinda sounds like you've made pickles....

Yeah, maybe, but this is sort of new to me. Did I do something wrong
by letting them sit, unprocessed, in the same solution, at 60 degrees
for so long?

Also, I heard people remark about pickles being rubbery - how much is
too much? Or is that individual preference?

-Mike

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Peter & Jennifer Watson Sproal

In article >,
MW > wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:32:42 -0800, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
> >MW wrote:
> >
> >> Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
> >> they pretty much ruined?

> >Kinda sounds like you've made pickles....
> >

> Yeah, maybe, but this is sort of new to me. Did I do something wrong
> by letting them sit, unprocessed, in the same solution, at 60 degrees
> for so long?
>
> Also, I heard people remark about pickles being rubbery - how much is
> too much? Or is that individual preference?
>
> -Mike

Have you actually tasted them??? It would seem to be a good thing.. I
agree with the other(s) you have made pickles.

Peter Watson
Australia
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
MW > wrote:

> So, after I picked my cukes this late summer, I put them in large jars
> with salt water as per the Ball Blue Book (maybe a bit more salt than
> they indicated) and added some vinegar. I then stored them in my
> basement (about 60 degrees down there), and removed the mold that
> formed on top and kept the jars topped off with vinegar, as well as
> adding more salt over time.
>
> When the mold stopped forming, I didn't do much else (except keep the
> liquid level high with vinegar). They have been in these brining jars
> for almost 4 months.
>
> Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
> they pretty much ruined?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I think you've already made pickles. :-/
How do they taste?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
MW > wrote:

> Also, I heard people remark about pickles being rubbery - how much is
> too much?

Whatever is unpleasant to you.

>Or is that individual preference?

IMHO, it is your call.

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
for Nephew Pat's wedding last weekend.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

MW wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:32:42 -0800, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
>>MW wrote:
>>
>>> Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
>>> they pretty much ruined?

>>Kinda sounds like you've made pickles....

> Yeah, maybe, but this is sort of new to me. Did I do something wrong
> by letting them sit, unprocessed, in the same solution, at 60 degrees
> for so long?

Think Old West... think "pickle barrel" so no... I don't think 'wrong'
per se, other than slow-cooking them... but I think 50 should be more
like it for long storage, think "root cellar" here.

Have you tasted them?

Worst case scenario is you've had a life-lesson on what to do the next time.

For half-sours this is the closest recipe I use (from my site):
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...pickles02.html

The ratio I use is 1 full tablespoon of kosher salt to 1 cup of water,
and I add some dried red peppers. The refrigeration comes after they've
achieved the degree of sourness I want. They keep for months, but will
turn full sour after about 3.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
MW

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:07:09 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I think you've already made pickles. :-/
>How do they taste?

Well, I desalted them as per the instructions in the Ball Blue Book
and they taste.....almost flavorless. Did I remove all of the salt?

Their coloration is even on the inside and they seem like pickles in
every way but the lack of flavor.

Should I prepare a new brine and can these now?

Thanks,

-Mike

Posted to rec.food.preserving
MW

And, on another note, I tasted one from a second batch before I
started and de-salting, and they taste pretty darn salty. So I guess
I will de-salt them and taste as I go.

Unless someone has another suggestion.

-Mike

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

MW wrote:

> And, on another note, I tasted one from a second batch before I
> started and de-salting, and they taste pretty darn salty. So I guess
> I will de-salt them and taste as I go.
> Unless someone has another suggestion.
> -Mike

Garlic! About 1 per pint, per quart, if you want it mild, 2 per pint if
you like'm garlicky. One dried chile de arbol per quart if you like them
hot, a tiny pinch per pint if you want a little zing. And/or a sprig of
dill or 1/2 tsp dill seed. Tarragon is pretty nice, if a sort of sweet
flavor. Don't use oregano, it's much too strong. But Basil is nice, a
sprig fresh, etc.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bart

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:04:28 -0500, MW >
wrote:

>So, after I picked my cukes this late summer, I put them in large jars
>with salt water as per the Ball Blue Book (maybe a bit more salt than
>they indicated) and added some vinegar. I then stored them in my
>basement (about 60 degrees down there), and removed the mold that
>formed on top and kept the jars topped off with vinegar, as well as
>adding more salt over time.
>
>When the mold stopped forming, I didn't do much else (except keep the
>liquid level high with vinegar). They have been in these brining jars
>for almost 4 months.
>
>Is it still possible for me to de-salt them and make pickles, or are
>they pretty much ruined?
>Thanks,
>Mike

Here's my Grandpa's recipe for cold pack strong dills ( as best as I
could remember/clone);

Mike Mogus' Dill Pickles

For ~24 1 Qt. Jars
- 12 cups water *x3
- 4 cups 5% vinegar *x3
- 1 cup coarse salt (non iodized) *x3
- 25 lbs dill cukes ( they HAVE to be fresh, cold & firm)
- Alum
- Fresh dill ( 2-3' long)
- Horseradish, peeled & cut into ¼ x ¼ x 4" pieces
- Garlic cloves, skinned (older is better, won't turn green)
- Pickling spice
- Dried chillies (~1"-2" long)
- ~24+ cleaned/sterilized 1 qt. jars & lids

Soak the dill cukes in a tub of ice water with a pinch of alum & 1
Tbs. coarse salt for ~2 hours.
Clean the cukes & place in them pre-cleaned/sterilized jars with 1-4
cloves garlic, one long stem of dill (rolled up to fit in jar), 1 tsp
pickling spice, a piece of horseradish & a dried chilli (optional).

*Bring to the boil in a large stock pot, 12 cups water, 4 cups vinegar
& 1 cup pickling salt ( this is done in three batches, unless you have
one HUGE pot).

When the above has reached the boiling point, ladle the hot brine over
the cukes to within ½"
of the top of the jar & seal tightly immediately.
Invert the jars after ½ hour for ~2 hours, then upright again.
Place in a cool dark spot for at least 2-3 weeks.

Pickles The Cook Preserving 16 04-07-2011 12:44 PM
Pickles Mark A.Meggs Preserving 2 20-07-2010 03:39 AM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
hot pickles grawun General Cooking 18 04-12-2006 02:43 PM
pickles [email protected] General Cooking 15 19-11-2005 09:39 PM