Posted to rec.food.preserving
Sindir

Default Preserving Homemade BBQ sauce

Is this safe to do in a water bath canner? How would I go about it?

Sindir

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Sindir" > wrote:

> Is this safe to do in a water bath canner? How would I go about it?
>
> Sindir

> http://www.usenet.com

Maybe, if it's acidic enough.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/bbqsauce.html is the link to the
NCHFP site's barbecue sauce recipe. Note that it has 1-1/2 cups of
vinegar to about 5-1/2 cups of non-acid ingredients (onions, peppers)
plus 16 cups of tomatoes. How does your recipe compare to that?

Do you have a paper canning/preserving text? Get one. I'm partial to
the Ball Blue Book. I also like the U of GA's "So Easy To Preserve" and
would like it even more if I could FIND my copy of it! I see that
Amazon has it and you can order it directly from the U of GA, too. I
got mine from my local extension office.

Do you use the NCHFP site? It's a good one; worth bookmarking in your
browser.

Good luck with the barbecue sauce.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Sindir wrote:
> Is this safe to do in a water bath canner? How would I go about it?
>
> Sindir

It depends on what you call BBQ sauce. There are extreme regional
variations. (post the recipe so we can see it)

If your recipe is kind of like a very sour (and perhaps sweet) catsup
with smoke and worchestershire sauce, then you can probably process it
in a water batch canner just like you would catsup.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Sindir

It's actually a very simple recipe. It's bottled Jack daniels bbq sauce and
a bottle hot sauce that my husband adds. It's just a combination that all
of our friends love, and they want some for themselves, but they can't get
it to turn out the way my husband makes it.

Sindir
"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Sindir wrote:
>> Is this safe to do in a water bath canner? How would I go about it?
>>
>> Sindir

> It depends on what you call BBQ sauce. There are extreme regional
> variations. (post the recipe so we can see it)
>
> If your recipe is kind of like a very sour (and perhaps sweet) catsup with
> smoke and worchestershire sauce, then you can probably process it in a
> water batch canner just like you would catsup.
>
> Bob

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Sindir" > wrote:

> It's actually a very simple recipe. It's bottled Jack daniels bbq sauce and
> a bottle hot sauce that my husband adds. It's just a combination that all
> of our friends love, and they want some for themselves, but they can't get
> it to turn out the way my husband makes it.
>
> Sindir
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> > Sindir wrote:
> >> Is this safe to do in a water bath canner? How would I go about it?
> >>
> >> Sindir

> > It depends on what you call BBQ sauce. There are extreme regional
> > variations. (post the recipe so we can see it)
> >
> > If your recipe is kind of like a very sour (and perhaps sweet) catsup with
> > smoke and worchestershire sauce, then you can probably process it in a
> > water batch canner just like you would catsup.
> >
> > Bob

> http://www.usenet.com

Hmmmm (thinking). Have you ever thought about just putting the stuff in
bottles or jars and storing in the fridge until such time as you wish to
bestow a jar on a friend? I've never known a barbecue sauce to go bad
in the fridge. Ever. For a year or two. JAT. (And you wouldn't have
to process it.) If it's a holiday gift, when you give it, ask them to
open it immediately and refrigerate it.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
for Nephew Pat's wedding last weekend.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Sindir

I've thought about doing it that way. I thought it might keep longer if I
preserved it. It doesn't seem to keep as long as you would think once the
hot sauce is added. Not sure if there's a chemical reaction going on or
what it is.

Sindir