Posted to rec.food.preserving
Allan Matthews

Default Shelves for smoker

After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
any info. Googled with no luck.
Allan
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Advocate

"Allan Matthews" > wrote in message
> After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
> broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
> products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
> only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
> know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
> this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
> any info. Googled with no luck.
> Allan

I would only use stainless steel.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete C.

Allan Matthews wrote:

> After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
> broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
> products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
> only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
> know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
> this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
> any info. Googled with no luck.
> Allan

Mesh as in liner or mesh as in structural? For a liner you'd probably do
fine with non-coated aluminum window screen. Galvanized material is
definitely a no-no at higher temperatures that will boil off the zinc,
might not be an issue at low smoking temperatures. Certainly if you take
the galvanized material and roast it over a good fire for an afternoon
you can cook off the zinc and after cleaning what you have left should
be perfectly safe.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Allan Matthews > wrote:

>After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
>broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
>products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
>only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
>know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
>this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
>any info. Googled with no luck.
>Allan

Allan,

I would never use galvanized screening for food contact. Galvanized
screen contains zinc and/or cadmium. These metals can oxidize and form
toxic compounds on the food. Even in minute quantities they will leave
a very metallic taste on your food.
Better to wait until you can find some stainless steel screening.
Other alternatives would be porcelain coated grill racks or large
stainless steel cooling racks found in kitchenware stores. Try a
restaurant supply for large stainless steel racks.

Ross.

To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Allan Matthews

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:18:18 -0500, wrote:

>Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
>>After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
>>broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
>>products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
>>only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
>>know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
>>this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
>>any info. Googled with no luck.
>>Allan

>Allan,
>
>I would never use galvanized screening for food contact. Galvanized
>screen contains zinc and/or cadmium. These metals can oxidize and form
>toxic compounds on the food. Even in minute quantities they will leave
>a very metallic taste on your food.
>Better to wait until you can find some stainless steel screening.
>Other alternatives would be porcelain coated grill racks or large
>stainless steel cooling racks found in kitchenware stores. Try a
>restaurant supply for large stainless steel racks.
>
>Ross.
>
>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Thanks to all for the comments. Think I will keep looking. Highest
temp in the smoker will be 180 degrees but I was concerned about
chemical reactions with curing salt and the zinc. Had forgotten
cadmium might be there too. Have a good day to all.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Allan Matthews wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:18:18 -0500, wrote:
>

>>Allan Matthews > wrote:
>>

>>>After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
>>>broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
>>>products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
>>>only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
>>>know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
>>>this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
>>>any info. Googled with no luck.
>>>Allan

>>Allan,
>>
>>I would never use galvanized screening for food contact. Galvanized
>>screen contains zinc and/or cadmium. These metals can oxidize and form
>>toxic compounds on the food. Even in minute quantities they will leave
>>a very metallic taste on your food.
>>Better to wait until you can find some stainless steel screening.
>>Other alternatives would be porcelain coated grill racks or large
>>stainless steel cooling racks found in kitchenware stores. Try a
>>restaurant supply for large stainless steel racks.
>>
>>Ross.
>>
>>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

> Thanks to all for the comments. Think I will keep looking. Highest
> temp in the smoker will be 180 degrees but I was concerned about
> chemical reactions with curing salt and the zinc. Had forgotten
> cadmium might be there too. Have a good day to all.

Why can't use use the racks from the old refrigerator?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete C.

Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:43:21 GMT, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Galvanized material is
> >definitely a no-no at higher temperatures that will boil off the zinc,
> >might not be an issue at low smoking temperatures. Certainly if you take
> >the galvanized material and roast it over a good fire for an afternoon
> >you can cook off the zinc and after cleaning what you have left should
> >be perfectly safe.
> >
> >Pete C.

> Certainly not. This is unsafe advice.
>
> google galvanized + food + safety.
>
> --
> HTH
> Charlie

BS, after roasting in a high temperature fire the material is no longer
galvanized, it is plain steel.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete C.

Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:27:34 GMT, Allan Matthews
> > wrote:
>
> >After using a converted refrigerator for several years, I finally
> >broke down and built a real nice smoker for summer sausage and other
> >products. I want to also put shelves in it fro fish and jerky but the
> >only mesh material I have found for them is galvanized. Does anybody
> >know if this is safe to use for this application? I want to finish
> >this project but hate to make a mistake on it. Thanks in advance for
> >any info. Googled with no luck.
> >Allan

> Stainless steel expanded metal, available from most any
> machine/welding shop. I have seen small sheets of it at hardware
> stores.
>
> Expanded metal is the mesh stuff with diamond shaped openings.... see
> below for examples and suppliers.
>
> http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=expanded&LimAcc=$LimAcc
>
> http://www.thomasnet.com/products/ex...6734202-1.html
>
> --
> HTH
> Charlie

Steel expanded mesh is available numerous places, but a stainless steel
version will most likely have to be ordered from a "real" metal
supplier.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg

Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:43:21 GMT, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Galvanized material is
>>definitely a no-no at higher temperatures that will boil off the zinc,
>>might not be an issue at low smoking temperatures. Certainly if you take
>>the galvanized material and roast it over a good fire for an afternoon
>>you can cook off the zinc and after cleaning what you have left should
>>be perfectly safe.
>>
>>Pete C.

> Certainly not. This is unsafe advice.
>
> google galvanized + food + safety.

Yeah but saying "google this and see all the hits" doesn't
mean anything. Google area51 + UFO's for instance.

If you avoid

- High temperatures, above about 787 F, the melting point of zinc.
Outgassing only occurs at or above this point.

- Contact with food

then galvanized steel is safe. They're used in lower temperature
applications in all sorts of smokers.

Here's one example, made by a major manufacturer.

<http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17>

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Allan Matthews

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:41:33 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Allan Matthews wrote:

>>>Allan,
>>>
>>>I would never use galvanized screening for food contact. Galvanized
>>>screen contains zinc and/or cadmium. These metals can oxidize and form
>>>toxic compounds on the food. Even in minute quantities they will leave
>>>a very metallic taste on your food.
>>>Better to wait until you can find some stainless steel screening.
>>>Other alternatives would be porcelain coated grill racks or large
>>>stainless steel cooling racks found in kitchenware stores. Try a
>>>restaurant supply for large stainless steel racks.
>>>
>>>Ross.
>>>
>>>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

>> Thanks to all for the comments. Think I will keep looking. Highest
>> temp in the smoker will be 180 degrees but I was concerned about
>> chemical reactions with curing salt and the zinc. Had forgotten
>> cadmium might be there too. Have a good day to all.
>>

>Why can't use use the racks from the old refrigerator?
>
>Bob

They are too small, I need 22 inches by 23 inches

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg

Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:38:53 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

>>Charlie wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:43:21 GMT, "Pete C." >
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Certainly not. This is unsafe advice.
>>>
>>>google galvanized + food + safety.

>>Yeah but saying "google this and see all the hits" doesn't
>>mean anything. Google area51 + UFO's for instance.

> Yeah, but the information can be found in the first page of hits, so
> it does mean something.
>

>>If you avoid
>>
>>- High temperatures, above about 787 F, the melting point of zinc.
>>Outgassing only occurs at or above this point.
>>
>>- Contact with food

> I believe the OPs question pertained to metal that would contact the
> food, not the surrounding material, to which I responded.

And we're in agreement. I didn't want the impression left that
galvanized should never be used under any circumstances. It's
often repeated and the result is that googling galvanized +
food + safety will lead you to all kinds of misinformation.

In my area, health codes pertaining to restaurant equipment
generally allow for galvanized within the restrictions I
mentioned, though you wouldn't know it from all the scare
stories on the net.

>>then galvanized steel is safe. They're used in lower temperature
>>applications in all sorts of smokers.
>>
>>Here's one example, made by a major manufacturer.
>>
>><http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17>

> Please provide more details of the above product.
>
> There is no description of what metal the smoke generator is
> constructed off. The picture looks like it could be stainless.

I own one, but you needn't take my word for it. Call them and
ask. (716)824-5814. You might also ask about the other smoker
components they sell made of galvanized steel. Flashing,
connectors, tubing, etc.

> Pretty expensive for a galvanized unit.

Certainly not for one with a variable speed blower.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
William R. Watt

>>Why can't use use the racks from the old refrigerator?
>>
>>Bob

> They are too small, I need 22 inches by 23 inches

Could you put them on a wooden frame which fits?
Wood will not combust at 200 deg.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete C.

Charlie wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:10:13 GMT, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >Charlie wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:43:21 GMT, "Pete C." >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> Certainly not. This is unsafe advice.
> >>
> >> google galvanized + food + safety.
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >> Charlie

> >BS, after roasting in a high temperature fire the material is no longer
> >galvanized, it is plain steel.
> >
> >Pete C.

> Why not just use expanded steel sheeting then and not take any
> chances? Much sturdier product as well.
>
> People shouldn't cut corners when it comes to food safety.
>
> I apologize for having sounded snippy and short. Be that as it may
> about removing galvanizing, I still believe is is not desirable
> material for grating that will contact food. I wouldn't want food
> prepared on this grate.
>
> --
> Charlie

My point was not that you should use galvanized material. Certainly if
you are purchasing new material there are a number of better options
particularly for relatively low temperature smoking. The point is that
if you have galvanized material on hand you should not be terrified to
use it in a food application. In many parts of the world it's what
they've got, and as long as you give it a good hot cook and cleaning
then after that point it's pretty safe to use.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Allan Matthews
Nov 5, 12:25 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
From: Allan Matthews > - Find messages
by this author
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:25:12 GMT
Subject: Shelves for smoker
original | Report Abuse

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:41:33 -0600, zxcvbob >

>Allan Matthews wrote:

>>>Allan,

>>>I would never use galvanized screening for food contact. Galvanized
>>>screen contains zinc and/or cadmium. These metals can oxidize and form
>>>toxic compounds on the food. Even in minute quantities they will leave
>>>a very metallic taste on your food.
>>>Better to wait until you can find some stainless steel screening.
>>>Other alternatives would be porcelain coated grill racks or large
>>>stainless steel cooling racks found in kitchenware stores. Try a
>>>restaurant supply for large stainless steel racks.

>>>Ross.

>>>To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

>> Thanks to all for the comments. Think I will keep looking. Highest
>> temp in the smoker will be 180 degrees but I was concerned about
>> chemical reactions with curing salt and the zinc. Had forgotten
>> cadmium might be there too. Have a good day to all.

>Why can't use use the racks from the old refrigerator?

>Bob

They are too small, I need 22 inches by 23 inches

Trolling Spammer