Posted to rec.food.preserving
Alexis

Default Any Ideas for Sour Cherries?

Hi Everyone,
My freezer stopped working & I'm left with a a few bags of sour cherries
(morellos). I've already made a dozen jars of Brandied Cherries (great
Christmas presents!)
Anyone have any ideas about what I might be able to do with the rest of
them? We don't use much sugar anymore, so I was trying to avoid jams, pie
fillings, etc.
Thank you! alexis
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Alexis wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> My freezer stopped working & I'm left with a a few bags of sour cherries
> (morellos). I've already made a dozen jars of Brandied Cherries (great
> Christmas presents!)
> Anyone have any ideas about what I might be able to do with the rest of
> them?

Dried?

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

Default Ping: Brian Mailman

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Alexis wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> > My freezer stopped working & I'm left with a a few bags of sour cherries
> > (morellos). I've already made a dozen jars of Brandied Cherries (great
> > Christmas presents!)
> > Anyone have any ideas about what I might be able to do with the rest of
> > them?

> Dried?
>
> B/

Hey, Brian!! Got a suggestion for dinner tomorrow night in SFO near
1075 Sutter? Probably most any ethnic place but Thai - not too
expensive. My nephew's getting married Saturday (party's at the
Presidio OC) and Rob & I and Niece Patty and Sister Marge arrive late
afternoon tomorrow. Staying at The Hotel Carlton
http://www.jdvhospitality.com/carlton.php?gst
We're there for a few days.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
commercialcanner

Practice for the 2006 National Cherry Pit Championships! Sour cherries
have the perfect shaped pit and density for cherry spitting contests.
Normal rules allow around 45 seconds to put the cherry in your mouth
eat or spit out the cherry pulp and try to clean the pit and grind on
the pit with your teeth so that once spit the cherry will roll as far
as possible. Also not all jams have to have alot of sugar. I posted a
sour cherry rhubarb recipe (extreme low sugar) August 30, 2005. CC

Posted to rec.food.preserving
windriverfamily

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Alexis wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> > My freezer stopped working & I'm left with a a few bags of sour cherries
> > (morellos). I've already made a dozen jars of Brandied Cherries (great
> > Christmas presents!)
> > Anyone have any ideas about what I might be able to do with the rest of
> > them?

> Dried?
>
> B/

Good idea, Brian. I dry sour cherries every year, then use them in rice,
chutneys, and baked goods. Sometimes I whir them up in the food processor
and use them to sauce the more bland meats like Turkey or pork loins.
Good luck, Alexis!
skg

Posted to rec.food.preserving
pennyaline

commercialcanner wrote:
> Practice for the 2006 National Cherry Pit Championships! Sour cherries
> have the perfect shaped pit and density for cherry spitting contests.
> Normal rules allow around 45 seconds to put the cherry in your mouth
> eat or spit out the cherry pulp and try to clean the pit and grind on
> the pit with your teeth so that once spit the cherry will roll as far
> as possible. Also not all jams have to have alot of sugar. I posted a
> sour cherry rhubarb recipe (extreme low sugar) August 30, 2005. CC

Dunno about the OP, but I pit my cherries before I freeze them.

As for what to do with the last few bags of now defrosted cherries, I'd
dry them and use them in recipes for both myself and my bird feeders.
Winter birds LOVE cherries!
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Hey, Brian!! Got a suggestion for dinner tomorrow night in SFO near
> 1075 Sutter?

First lesson... "SFO" is the airport, about 1/2 hour south of The City
(or SF).

> Probably most any ethnic place but Thai - not too
> expensive.

Well... I find anything anywhere is "expensive" compared to the rest of
the country, excluding NYC... so I'd need to know a range you were
looking for. A 'real' dinner is going to be anywhere from $18 and up
and it's a la carte. A more realistic price for appetizer, entree, and
beverage would be $35.

Let's see... 1075... that would be 10-11 blocks northwest of Market...
Sounds like it would be around Union Square or Tendernob (the junction
of the Tenderloin and Nob Hill). Tenderloin is *mostly* safe, but they
should be aware to be aware if ya know what I mean.

If they want an adventure and some of the best Vietnamese around, they
can go to Market/6th and try out Tu Lan a half block down (south) on
6th. It *is* on skid row, but the food is amazing. The "ambiance"
is.... hmmmm... well, let's just say the food is amazing. Two of us had
3 dishes plus beers for $18, excluding tip. Very fresh (surprisingly),
very we-made-this-just-for-you flavors. I like the 'fresh' spring rolls
a lot, chicken and shrimp and rice noodles w/mint wrapped in a sheet of
rice paper.

For more real dining, if they're looking for romantic and fancy they can
walk over to Powell and go to Kuleto's in the Hotel Florence. It's in
the range I mentioned, but one can order, say 2 appetizers or 'small
plates' as is fashionable these days. Italian-California fusion, I've
had the wild mushroom ravioli w/truffle broth and chicken piccata, very
nice. If none of that sounds interesting, there's plenty of places just
to walk around and find in the area.

They're also somewhat near Chinatown, definitely walking distance (on
the northeast side of Union Square and then up Grant (if you remember
the tune from Flower Drum Song). Plenny places to see and explore up
there (although I really think Tu Lan to eat and then suss out Chinatown).

On the east side of Union Square is Maiden Lane and basically they just
set out tables on the sidewalk. There's one place there called Plouf,
and features seafoods of various sorts. I was there once, wasn't
terribly impressed, but a friend swears by it and another friend always
hosts those ever-so-stilted social/business dinners for visiting firemen
there.

They're close enough to Powell where they can grab cable cars to the
Wharf for seafood (although it's not QUITE dungeness crab season) or
Pier 39. At Pier 39, I like Dante's on the upper deck--food is average,
plus of course the usual tourist scalping, but they can watch the sea
lions if they get a window table and that's a trip.

Hopefully, that's a range of types and experiences, although as I said,
my fave out of the bunch for an out-of-the-way hint-from-a-San-Francisco
would be Tu Lan.

Miscellania:
673-MUNI will get them the bus information--just tell the operator where
they are and where they want to go. They can get a 3- or 7-day bus pass
http://www.sfmuni.org/passport

If they do take busses, and don't get a pass they must keep the transfer
they receive just in case they get stopped for 'proof of payment'
Anyway, if they can use the transfer in any direction for 90 minutes.

> My nephew's getting married Saturday (party's at the
> Presidio OC) and Rob & I and Niece Patty and Sister Marge arrive late
> afternoon tomorrow. Staying at The Hotel Carlton
> http://www.jdvhospitality.com/carlton.php?gst
> We're there for a few days.

Cool... write to me for my phone #. This is my nabe, Duboce Triangle:
http://www.dtna.org/flowerboxes.html is the most interesting page to a
visitor

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Hey, Brian!! Got a suggestion for dinner tomorrow night in SFO near
> > 1075 Sutter?

> First lesson... "SFO" is the airport, about 1/2 hour south of The City
> (or SF).

Yeah, I know. <sigh> At least I didn't say 'Frisco. "-)

> > Probably most any ethnic place but Thai - not too
> > expensive.

> Well... I find anything anywhere is "expensive" compared to the rest of
> the country, excluding NYC... so I'd need to know a range you were
> looking for. A 'real' dinner is going to be anywhere from $18 and up
> and it's a la carte. A more realistic price for appetizer, entree, and
> beverage would be $35.
>
> Let's see... 1075... that would be 10-11 blocks northwest of Market...
> Sounds like it would be around Union Square

Right.

or Tendernob (the junction
> of the Tenderloin and Nob Hill). Tenderloin is *mostly* safe, but they
> should be aware to be aware if ya know what I mean.
>
> If they want an adventure and some of the best Vietnamese around, they
> can go to Market/6th and try out Tu Lan a half block down (south) on
> 6th. It *is* on skid row, but the food is amazing. The "ambiance"
> is.... hmmmm... well, let's just say the food is amazing. Two of us had
> 3 dishes plus beers for $18, excluding tip. Very fresh (surprisingly),
> very we-made-this-just-for-you flavors. I like the 'fresh' spring rolls
> a lot, chicken and shrimp and rice noodles w/mint wrapped in a sheet of
> rice paper.

WE like Vietnamese, not sure about the other two. Rob probably wouldn't
go for the neighborhood, though.
Thanks for the info about the buses, too,

> Hopefully, that's a range of types and experiences, although as I said,
> my fave out of the bunch for an out-of-the-way hint-from-a-San-Francisco
> would be Tu Lan.
>
> Miscellania:
> 673-MUNI will get them the bus information--just tell the operator where
> they are and where they want to go. They can get a 3- or 7-day bus pass
> http://www.sfmuni.org/passport
>
> If they do take busses, and don't get a pass they must keep the transfer
> they receive just in case they get stopped for 'proof of payment'
> Anyway, if they can use the transfer in any direction for 90 minutes.
>

> > My nephew's getting married Saturday (party's at the
> > Presidio OC) and Rob & I and Niece Patty and Sister Marge arrive late
> > afternoon tomorrow. Staying at The Hotel Carlton
> > http://www.jdvhospitality.com/carlton.php?gst
> > We're there for a few days.

> Cool... write to me for my phone #. This is my nabe, Duboce Triangle:
> http://www.dtna.org/flowerboxes.html is the most interesting page to a
> visitor

Great pics and story.
-B

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

sour cherries sf[_9_] General Cooking 47 21-01-2015 07:34 PM
ping: Wayne (re sour cherries) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 6 10-08-2011 03:22 AM
Sour Cherries Cake International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:41 AM
Need advice- keeping sour cherries Charlotte L. Blackmer General Cooking 4 07-06-2004 03:22 AM
Need ideas of how to put cherries to use Dee Randall Baking 3 28-01-2004 10:46 AM