Posted to rec.food.preserving
Cow Whisperer

Default help please...canning chili

All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after canning,
prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with the
beans in it? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Cow Whisperer" > wrote in message
. ..
> All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after

canning,
> prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with the
> beans in it? Thanks.

I don't do it, but I bet it's because the beans will break down and become
mush if canned,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Cow Whisperer

I contacted Ball Brothers, and they said the chili would be too thick and
heat distribution irregular. I did find a recipe using beans on USDA
Complete Guide to Home Canning. Gonna try it. Will let you know how it
turns out.
"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Cow Whisperer" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after

> canning,
>> prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with
>> the
>> beans in it? Thanks.
>>

> I don't do it, but I bet it's because the beans will break down and become
> mush if canned,
>
> Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Dwayne

I have done it a couple of batches worth. It came out very tasty, the beans
were good, but when I put it in the pan to heat, I had to add water. It
seems like the beans absorbed all the extra water in the chili. If I had
given it 1 1/2 to 2 inches of head space and topped it off with water, it
might have done better.

Dwayne

"Cow Whisperer" > wrote in message
. ..
> All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after
> canning, prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili
> with the beans in it? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Herminoe

Cow Whisperer wrote:

> All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after canning,
> prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with the
> beans in it? Thanks.

The beans expand and absorb the liquid or the texture can become mushy.
That being said I canned a small batch of chili with beans to see how
the finished product would turn out. My reasoning was that I canned
baked beans and kidney beans without a problem. Kidney beans or other
dry beans are processed for 60 min for pints and baked beans 80 min for
pints. BBB indicates 75 min for chili without the beans. I increased
the timing to 80 min for pints for chili with beans since the beans
would be the lowest acid ingredient. The texture of the beans were fine.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Herminoe

Cow Whisperer wrote:

> I contacted Ball Brothers, and they said the chili would be too thick and
> heat distribution irregular. I did find a recipe using beans on USDA
> Complete Guide to Home Canning. Gonna try it. Will let you know how it
> turns out.

That recipe is fairly similar to how I did it with the exception of the
spices. I added a couple of extra seasonings. The resulting chili had
a nice flavour and texture. I think you will be pleased with the
results. I normally freeze chili but thought having some ready to use
without thawing would be handy as well as save freezer space for the
more expensive things. The recipe on the USDA site has been tested and
is safe for canning so enjoy
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Cow Whisperer

Thanks, everyone for the replies. I did can the chili with beans, got 21
quarts and 9 pints. Looks fine. No problem to add water prior to serving.
Thanks again.
"Herminoe" > wrote in message
> Cow Whisperer wrote:
>
>> I contacted Ball Brothers, and they said the chili would be too thick and
>> heat distribution irregular. I did find a recipe using beans on USDA
>> Complete Guide to Home Canning. Gonna try it. Will let you know how it
>> turns out.

> That recipe is fairly similar to how I did it with the exception of the
> spices. I added a couple of extra seasonings. The resulting chili had a
> nice flavour and texture. I think you will be pleased with the results.
> I normally freeze chili but thought having some ready to use without
> thawing would be handy as well as save freezer space for the more
> expensive things. The recipe on the USDA site has been tested and is safe
> for canning so enjoy

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Cow Whisperer wrote:
> All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after canning,
> prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with the
> beans in it? Thanks.

I'm a Texan, we don't even eat chili with beans in it. <VBG> I have
canned chili with beans in it for my Yanqui wife, nothing broke down to
my knowledge. Just easier to do it without, cook up some beans on the
side or can them on the side, and then add as needed. HTH

George, once again with internet service, May Ma Bell go straight to the
hot place.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Cow Whisperer wrote:
> > All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after

canning,
> > prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with

the
> > beans in it? Thanks.
> >

> I'm a Texan, we don't even eat chili with beans in it. <VBG> I have
> canned chili with beans in it for my Yanqui wife, nothing broke down to
> my knowledge. Just easier to do it without, cook up some beans on the
> side or can them on the side, and then add as needed. HTH
>
> George, once again with internet service, May Ma Bell go straight to the
> hot place.

yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?

So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>
>>Cow Whisperer wrote:
>>
>>>All the recipes I see for canning chili say to add the beans after

> canning,
>
>>>prior to serving. Can anyone tell me why? Does anyone can chili with

> the
>
>>>beans in it? Thanks.
>>>

>>I'm a Texan, we don't even eat chili with beans in it. <VBG> I have
>>canned chili with beans in it for my Yanqui wife, nothing broke down to
>>my knowledge. Just easier to do it without, cook up some beans on the
>>side or can them on the side, and then add as needed. HTH
>>
>>George, once again with internet service, May Ma Bell go straight to the
>>hot place.
>>

> yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?
>
> So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?
>
> Kathi

Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.
Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice chopped
fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons wilt a
little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a cup. Add
one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer until everything
is ready then add about one quarter cup of either masa (corn flour) or
just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit. I cook mine in a slow
cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm until time to eat.

You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in such
things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as I said,
she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a pone of
Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated cheese, extra
fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks around here,
including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to stretch the meat
course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad way to eat chili.

I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his chili.
Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call chili. We
won't even go there. <VBG>

See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
tree? Just started producing really good this year too.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kathi Jones wrote:

> > canning,

> > the

> >>I'm a Texan, we don't even eat chili with beans in it. <VBG> I have
> >>canned chili with beans in it for my Yanqui wife, nothing broke down to
> >>my knowledge. Just easier to do it without, cook up some beans on the
> >>side or can them on the side, and then add as needed. HTH
> >>
> >>George, once again with internet service, May Ma Bell go straight to the
> >>hot place.
> >>

> > yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?
> >
> > So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?
> >
> > Kathi
> >

> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.
> Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice chopped
> fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons wilt a
> little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a cup. Add
> one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer until everything
> is ready then add about one quarter cup of either masa (corn flour) or
> just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit. I cook mine in a slow
> cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm until time to eat.
>
> You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
> always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in such
> things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as I said,
> she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a pone of
> Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated cheese, extra
> fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks around here,
> including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to stretch the meat
> course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad way to eat chili.
>
> I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
> soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
> Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his chili.
> Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call chili. We
> won't even go there. <VBG>
>
> See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
> don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
> tree? Just started producing really good this year too.
>
> George

Thanks George. My chili recipe is similar, but being a bit of a wimp, I use
regular peppers instead of hot ones, allot less chili powder and lots of
garlic, but maybe not quite that much as you. I like beans - usually add
cans of kidney and mixed, and prefer a can of crushed or whole tomatoes
instead of juice or sauce. Serve with sour cream and grated cheese. Fresh
bread or buns...corn bread must be a Southern thing, not something I'd think
of making. Sometimes I have a bottle of Pepcid/Ranitidine handy...;-)

Bummer about the peach tree....

Kathi,
craving chili now....

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Kathi Jones wrote:

>> canning,

>> the

>>> I'm a Texan, we don't even eat chili with beans in it. <VBG> I have
>>> canned chili with beans in it for my Yanqui wife, nothing broke down to
>>> my knowledge. Just easier to do it without, cook up some beans on the
>>> side or can them on the side, and then add as needed. HTH
>>>
>>> George, once again with internet service, May Ma Bell go straight to the
>>> hot place.
>>>

>> yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?
>>
>> So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.
> Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice chopped
> fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons wilt a
> little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a cup. Add
> one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer until everything
> is ready then add about one quarter cup of either masa (corn flour) or
> just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit. I cook mine in a slow
> cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm until time to eat.
>
> You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
> always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in such
> things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as I said,
> she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a pone of
> Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated cheese, extra
> fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks around here,
> including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to stretch the meat
> course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad way to eat chili.
>
> I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
> soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
> Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his chili.
> Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call chili. We
> won't even go there. <VBG>
>
> See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
> don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
> tree? Just started producing really good this year too.
>
> George

You put *tomatoes* in your chili????

;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Kathi Jones wrote:

>>>canning,

>>>the

>>>yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?
>>>
>>>So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?
>>>
>>>Kathi
>>>

>>Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.
>>Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice chopped
>>fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons wilt a
>>little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a cup. Add
>>one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer until everything
>>is ready then add about one quarter cup of either masa (corn flour) or
>>just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit. I cook mine in a slow
>>cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm until time to eat.
>>
>>You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
>>always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in such
>>things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as I said,
>>she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a pone of
>>Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated cheese, extra
>>fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks around here,
>>including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to stretch the meat
>>course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad way to eat chili.
>>
>>I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
>>soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
>>Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his chili.
>>Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call chili. We
>>won't even go there. <VBG>
>>
>>See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
>>don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
>>tree? Just started producing really good this year too.
>>
>>George
>>

> Thanks George. My chili recipe is similar, but being a bit of a wimp, I use
> regular peppers instead of hot ones, allot less chili powder and lots of
> garlic, but maybe not quite that much as you. I like beans - usually add
> cans of kidney and mixed, and prefer a can of crushed or whole tomatoes
> instead of juice or sauce. Serve with sour cream and grated cheese. Fresh
> bread or buns...corn bread must be a Southern thing, not something I'd think
> of making. Sometimes I have a bottle of Pepcid/Ranitidine handy...;-)
>
> Bummer about the peach tree....
>
> Kathi,
> craving chili now....

Southern cornbread is the easiest thing in the world to make. Heat your
oven to 450F, oil a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat it in the
oven at the same time. Mix 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
teaspoon baking soda, beat one egg well, add to mix, add 2 cups
buttermilk, stir well. When oven is ready remove skillet pour the
cornbread in it, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it's done when you
stick a toothpick into the middle. The reason for heating the skillet at
the same time is to make sure you get that good fried bottom crust. Good
with beans over it, or, my favorite, crumbled hot in a bowl, pour cold
milk over, toss in some finely chopped onions and some black pepper and
scarf it up. My wife likes it with molasses on it for dessert. Sometimes
I'll heat a leftover piece and have it for breakfast with butter and jelly.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Kathi Jones wrote:

>>> canning,

>>> the

>>> yay George! - does that mean we'll see you back here regularly?
>>>
>>> So what's your recipe for chili, if ya don't eat it with beans?
>>>
>>> Kathi
>>>

>> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured
>> off. Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice
>> chopped fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons
>> wilt a little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a
>> cup. Add one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer until
>> everything is ready then add about one quarter cup of either masa
>> (corn flour) or just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit. I cook
>> mine in a slow cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm until
>> time to eat.
>>
>> You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
>> always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in
>> such things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as I
>> said, she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a pone
>> of Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated cheese,
>> extra fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks around
>> here, including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to stretch the
>> meat course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad way to eat
>> chili.
>>
>> I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
>> soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
>> Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his chili.
>> Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call chili.
>> We won't even go there. <VBG>
>>
>> See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
>> don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
>> tree? Just started producing really good this year too.
>>
>> George
>>

> You put *tomatoes* in your chili????
>
> ;-)
>
> Bob

That's the only way I could get the wife and kids to eat it years ago
Bob. Real chili doesn't have tomatoes in it but they are pervasive
nowadays. The chili I made at Terlingua in 1978 had no tomatoes in it
but it didn't win a prize either.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured
>>> off. Put in a big onion, chopped fine, several chile's of choice
>>> chopped fine, about 2000 garlic cloves or to taste, let the add ons
>>> wilt a little, add chili powder to taste, with me it's about half a
>>> cup. Add one 46 ounce can of low sodium tomato juice, let simmer
>>> until everything is ready then add about one quarter cup of either
>>> masa (corn flour) or just plain cornmeal. This thickens it up a bit.
>>> I cook mine in a slow cooker, generally overnight and then keep warm
>>> until time to eat.
>>>
>>> You can add beans to the bowl if you want them at our house because I
>>> always put on a small pot of pinto beans for those that indulge in
>>> such things. Mostly Miz Anne likes to add beans to her chili but, as
>>> I said, she's a Yanqui. I often cook a pot of brown rice, or make a
>>> pone of Arkansas cornbread, even put out some sour cream, grated
>>> cheese, extra fresh chile's, etc and you can add to your chili. Folks
>>> around here, including us, tend to eat chili over rice. A way to
>>> stretch the meat course but still makes it good. IMHO there's no bad
>>> way to eat chili.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who browns a lb of ground meat, pours a can of tomato
>>> soup over, tosses in some chili powder and calls it chili. He's from
>>> Colorado originally so we excuse his faux pas but don't eat his
>>> chili. Then there's that red soup from Cincinnati, OH that they call
>>> chili. We won't even go there. <VBG>
>>>
>>> See me around again, I reckon, been posting here since about 1992 and
>>> don't see any reason to quit. Did I tell y'all that Rita ate my peach
>>> tree? Just started producing really good this year too.
>>>
>>> George
>>>

>> You put *tomatoes* in your chili????
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Bob

> That's the only way I could get the wife and kids to eat it years ago
> Bob. Real chili doesn't have tomatoes in it but they are pervasive
> nowadays. The chili I made at Terlingua in 1978 had no tomatoes in it
> but it didn't win a prize either.
>
> George

We had a big chili luncheon/contest 2 years ago at Enormous Computer
Company. (wanna buy an enormous computer?) My chili was the only entry
that didn't get a single vote. I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't
the hottest entry, but it was kind of hot and had no tomatoes in it. I
think it was just too foreign for most folks up here.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> >> You put *tomatoes* in your chili???? ;-)
> >> Bob

> > That's the only way I could get the wife and kids to eat it years ago
> > Bob. Real chili doesn't have tomatoes in it but they are pervasive
> > nowadays. The chili I made at Terlingua in 1978 had no tomatoes in it
> > but it didn't win a prize either.
> >
> > George
> >

> We had a big chili luncheon/contest 2 years ago at Enormous Computer
> Company. (wanna buy an enormous computer?) My chili was the only entry
> that didn't get a single vote. I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't
> the hottest entry, but it was kind of hot and had no tomatoes in it. I
> think it was just too foreign for most folks up here.
> Bob

One of the best chilis I ever tasted was in Evergreen Colorado at a Chili
Cookoff. Fellar made Shrimp Chili, probably named Red Hot Gulf Chili or
something like that. Was cream soup based, no beans. More of a chowder now that
I think about it. Real hot!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> You put *tomatoes* in your chili????
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> That's the only way I could get the wife and kids to eat it years ago
>> Bob. Real chili doesn't have tomatoes in it but they are pervasive
>> nowadays. The chili I made at Terlingua in 1978 had no tomatoes in it
>> but it didn't win a prize either.
>>
>> George
>>

> We had a big chili luncheon/contest 2 years ago at Enormous Computer
> Company. (wanna buy an enormous computer?) My chili was the only entry
> that didn't get a single vote. I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't
> the hottest entry, but it was kind of hot and had no tomatoes in it. I
> think it was just too foreign for most folks up here.
>
> Bob

We had a contest in Saudi Arabia in 1983. A Canadian won it, with my
recipe! The judges, including two fellow Texicans, didn't like my chili
because it wasn't "hot" enough. Mine has a mild burn in the back of the
throat and doesn't make you run for the crick in the morning. Go figure.
Of course my pot of chili was empty after the spectators tried small
tastes. One New Mexican couple had to put potatoes in theirs to tone it
down it was so hot. Potatoes! In chili!

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:06:46 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Southern cornbread is the easiest thing in the world to make. Heat your
>oven to 450F, oil a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat it in the
>oven at the same time. Mix 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
>teaspoon baking soda, beat one egg well, add to mix, add 2 cups
>buttermilk, stir well. When oven is ready remove skillet pour the
>cornbread in it, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it's done when you
>stick a toothpick into the middle. The reason for heating the skillet at
>the same time is to make sure you get that good fried bottom crust. Good
>with beans over it, or, my favorite, crumbled hot in a bowl, pour cold
>milk over, toss in some finely chopped onions and some black pepper and
>scarf it up. My wife likes it with molasses on it for dessert. Sometimes
>I'll heat a leftover piece and have it for breakfast with butter and jelly.
>
>George

Sounds like the recipe I use for cornbread except I use 2 eggs and put
some bacon fat in the skillet to melt while the oven heats. When the
fat smokes, the skillet is hot. Then I add the fat to the batter.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
> [...]

> Southern cornbread is the easiest thing in the world to make. Heat your
> oven to 450F, oil a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat it in the
> oven at the same time. Mix 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
> teaspoon baking soda, beat one egg well, add to mix, add 2 cups
> buttermilk, stir well. When oven is ready remove skillet pour the
> cornbread in it, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it's done when you
> stick a toothpick into the middle. The reason for heating the skillet at
> the same time is to make sure you get that good fried bottom crust. Good
> with beans over it, or, my favorite, crumbled hot in a bowl, pour cold
> milk over, toss in some finely chopped onions and some black pepper and
> scarf it up. My wife likes it with molasses on it for dessert. Sometimes
> I'll heat a leftover piece and have it for breakfast with butter and

the ONLY thing I ever did or ate with cornmeal was my Grandmother's recipe
for Johnny Cake (dunno why it's called that). It's not a bread, but a sweet
cake, baked in a cake pan, served warm with butter and real maple syrup for
breakfast or dessert.

When I make chili, I make a big batch and freeze it. There's a couple of 1
liter jars in the freezer right now. May pull one out later this week and
bake up some of George's corn bread.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> One New Mexican couple had to put potatoes in theirs to tone it
> down it was so hot. Potatoes! In chili!
>
> George

Getta rope.
Edrena.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

>Southern cornbread is the easiest thing in the world to make. Heat your
>oven to 450F, oil a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat it in the
>oven at the same time. Mix 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
>teaspoon baking soda, beat one egg well, add to mix, add 2 cups
>buttermilk, stir well. When oven is ready remove skillet pour the
>cornbread in it, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it's done when you
>stick a toothpick into the middle. The reason for heating the skillet at
>the same time is to make sure you get that good fried bottom crust.

George,

You're a man after my own heart. Genuine CORNbread. No wheat flour
and no sugar.

My recipe is a little different in that I don't usually keep buttermilk
but the end product is the same. I mill my own meal and the flavor
cannot be beat.

I don't put tomatoes in my chili either though for the same reasons as
you I may be forced to go back to it. My wife is a good New England
girl and she'll eat it, but I can tell she'd prefer it with tomatoes.
Not being afflicted with being from Texas I can put beans in mine with
no moral qualms (laughing).

......Alan.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

wrote:
>>Southern cornbread is the easiest thing in the world to make. Heat your
>>oven to 450F, oil a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet and heat it in the
>>oven at the same time. Mix 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1
>>teaspoon baking soda, beat one egg well, add to mix, add 2 cups
>>buttermilk, stir well. When oven is ready remove skillet pour the
>>cornbread in it, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it's done when you
>>stick a toothpick into the middle. The reason for heating the skillet at
>>the same time is to make sure you get that good fried bottom crust.

> George,
>
> You're a man after my own heart. Genuine CORNbread. No wheat flour
> and no sugar.
>
> My recipe is a little different in that I don't usually keep buttermilk
> but the end product is the same. I mill my own meal and the flavor
> cannot be beat.
>
> I don't put tomatoes in my chili either though for the same reasons as
> you I may be forced to go back to it. My wife is a good New England
> girl and she'll eat it, but I can tell she'd prefer it with tomatoes.
> Not being afflicted with being from Texas I can put beans in mine with
> no moral qualms (laughing).
>
> .....Alan.

I make something without tomatoes in it and I will invariably catch my
wife adding catsup to it just for the tomato taste. I've given up on
educating her palate and just let her add whatever she wants. I will
open a can of pinto beans for her when I make chili, as long as she adds
them to her bowl and not the pot.

Chili and cornbread and cornbread and milk, and the occasional chicken
is what I was raised on. Particularly when Dad was walking a picket line
somewhere. We didn't mill our own corn, cornmeal was very cheap down at
the mill in 100 lb bags. Down the road a piece we could get a 100 lb bag
of brown rice for about 2 bucks so there was generally a bag of each and
a 100 lb bag of pinto beans on the screened in back porch. A family can
live a long time on that, what they catch or shoot, and the odd chicken
that strayed out of the neighbors yard. Or so I've been told by folks
who were raised puir. <VBG>

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.

I thought it was "go out to the road and scrape up an armadillo..."

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Brian Mailman wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.

> I thought it was "go out to the road and scrape up an armadillo..."
>
> B/

I live in a city now Brian, it's real hard to find fresh roadkill around
here. We can always discuss my old freeze dried coyote and
run-over-by-truck armadillo chili. Now where did I put that etched on
stone recipe?

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Hurry up chili is 4 lbs ground chuck, browned and the grease poured off.

>> I thought it was "go out to the road and scrape up an armadillo..."

> I live in a city now Brian, it's real hard to find fresh roadkill around
> here. We can always discuss my old freeze dried coyote and
> run-over-by-truck armadillo chili.

Freeze-drying is ontopic, I'd imagine

> Now where did I put that etched on stone recipe?

I have a hard time these days finding the stone etchers.

B/