Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

Default pomegranets

is that how you spell it?

Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.

So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.

My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy and
sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.

So out of curiosity....since I will probably NEVER make some...how many
pomegranates does it take to make a batch of jelly??

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Kathi Jones wrote:

> is that how you spell it?
>
> Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.
>
> So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.
>
> My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy and
> sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.

Not sloppy if you peel and seed them under water.

Hmmm... I used have a site with pictures, but this will have to do:
http://www.gelsons.com/services/nutrition/nutrioct3.asp

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> is that how you spell it?
>
> Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.
>
> So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.
>
> My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy and
> sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.
>
> So out of curiosity....since I will probably NEVER make some...how many
> pomegranates does it take to make a batch of jelly??
>
> Kathi

Seems like one recipe mentioned something like a dozen or so. Can't
find the particulars. Middle Eastern grocery stores may have the juice.
My food co-op does and the price has soared since the antioxidant
properties of pomegranate juice have been touted.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Pomegranate Jelly

Recipe By : posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller 10-31-05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jelly

3 1/2 cups prepared juice
1 pkg pectin
5 cups sugar

To prepare the juice, wash the fruit. Submerge in water and soak for 15
min. Break apart under water and separate seeds
from membranes. Seeds will sink to bottom while membranes/skins will
float. Scoop seeds and extract juice

To extract juice, use fully ripe fruit for best flavor (no kidding,
huh?). Place in pot, heat then use various methods to
squeeze juice. Cheesecloth or jelly bag and squeeze out juice. Press
with potato masher, or whatever you can figure out.

Measure 3 1/2 cups juice into 6 qt pot. Add pectin. stir and dissolve
thoroughly.

Place mixture over high heat, bring to boil stirring constantly to avoid
scorching.

Add sugar and mix well. Continue stirring and bring to full rolling boil.

Boil hard for exactly 2 minutes. (You can prevent excessive foam by
adding 1/4 t. of butter or margarine. I didnąt have this problem). Stir
constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim foam and pour into sterilized containers. Allow
1/8 inch head space. Cover with 2 piece metal lids.

Process in water bath for 5 minutes (1/2 pint jars).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 4063 Calories; 0g Fat (0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; 1053g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
129mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 65 Fruit; 70 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Source: Bernardin Home Canning Forum web site, 8/13/97; post is
from Fall, 1996. Some guy named Bob.

_____

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Pomegranate Jelly/Certo Liquid

Recipe By : posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller 10-31-05
Serving Size : 7 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jelly

3 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 cups sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz.)

In heavy-bottomed 8-10 quart pan , mix pomegranate juice, lemon juice
and sugar. Bring to full rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring
constantly. Stir in pectin all at once. Return to a full rolling boil
and boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4"
headspace. Wipe rim and threads clean and seal with two-piece lids and
bands. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 733 Calories; 0g Fat (0% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 189g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 16mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 12 1/2 Fruit; 11 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES :

Source: Sunset Home Canning book. Made 2004 with 1-1/2 cups cherry
juice and 2 cups bottled pomegranate juice. 7 half pints and one 4-oz
jar.

COMMENT: I think this one got a second place at the 2004 State Fair for
Combination of Two or More Fruits Jelly lot.

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
> > is that how you spell it?
> >
> > Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.
> >
> > So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.
> >
> > My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy

and
> > sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.
> >
> > So out of curiosity....since I will probably NEVER make some...how many
> > pomegranates does it take to make a batch of jelly??
> >
> > Kathi

> Seems like one recipe mentioned something like a dozen or so. Can't
> find the particulars. Middle Eastern grocery stores may have the juice.
> My food co-op does and the price has soared since the antioxidant
> properties of pomegranate juice have been touted.

thanks Barb.

I was just curious, I don't think I'll ever make it unless the grocery store
decides to give them away. Even a bottle of juice is $4.99 (the guy in the
store said it's usually $3.99) and that's just way too expennsive to make
jelly out of. I bet it would be tasty though,

Kathi

> [...]
> and boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim any foam.
>
> Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4"
> headspace. Wipe rim and threads clean and seal with two-piece lids and
> bands. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 733 Calories; 0g Fat (0% calories
> from fat); 1g Protein; 189g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 16mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 12 1/2 Fruit; 11 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
>
> NOTES :
>
> Source: Sunset Home Canning book. Made 2004 with 1-1/2 cups cherry
> juice and 2 cups bottled pomegranate juice. 7 half pints and one 4-oz
> jar.
>
> COMMENT: I think this one got a second place at the 2004 State Fair for
> Combination of Two or More Fruits Jelly lot.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Michael Kawalek

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:40:07 -0500, "Kathi Jones" > wrote:

>is that how you spell it?
>
>Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.
>
>So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.
>
>My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy and
>sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.
>
>So out of curiosity....since I will probably NEVER make some...how many
>pomegranates does it take to make a batch of jelly??
>
>Kathi

Hi Kathi
Where are you located. Pomogranites can survive some winter cold down to zone 8, so you might grow
your own tree. I have a pomogranite tree in our back yard. It's easy to start one from a cutting,
so if you want one don't go out and buy it, just ask someone for some cuttings and plant them. Our
tree is ten years old now, about 12-15 feet high and produces hundreds of pomogranites each year.
We turned to making jelly as a way of disposing of excess fruit. Here is my recipe to make six
half-pints of PJ.

4 cups of pomogranite juice
1.75oz pectin
5 cups granulated white sugar

For 4 cups of juice wash and cut in half 10-15 pomogranites, depending on size. Juice the halves
with a orange juicer and strain to remove any of the white pith that makes the juice bitter.

Place the juice in your jelly pot, add the pectin, and bring to a boil. Add all 5 cups of sugar and
continue heating. I also add a teaspoon of butter to control foaming.

Now comes the somewhat tricky part. Pomogranites sometimes have a hard time gelling, so this is how
I proceed. Place two or three small saucers in the freezer to get them ice cold. As ou boil the
jelly you may not see jelly clinging to your spoon as described in the jam books. When you think
you've boiled enough, spoon some hot jelly onto an ice-cold saucer. Give it a minute to cool, and
if it gels on the dish, it is ready to place into jars. If it is still syrupy, keep boiling. don't
stop boiling untill you jelly gels on a dish. If the jelly start to boil over as you continue to
heat it just turn of flame down for a minute or two to let it settle down. I find for my jelly the
batch will not gel till it's tried to boil over at least 2 or 3 times. Once it gels, quickly pour
the hot jelly into washed/boiled jars and boil in a hot water bath for 5 minutes. Cool on a towel
after boiling and check that all the seals are down.

This has turned out to be a great recipe and we make cases of this jelly to give away at Christmas
time.

Take care,
Michael

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Michael Kawalek" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:40:07 -0500, "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>

> >is that how you spell it?
> >
> >Ok, so I've heard these things get made in to jelly.
> >
> >So I bought one. Yes, only one - they're $2.99 each here.
> >
> >My girls and I shared it, and really enjoyed it, however it was messy and
> >sloppy and a lot of work, and I'll prolly never buy another one.
> >
> >So out of curiosity....since I will probably NEVER make some...how many
> >pomegranates does it take to make a batch of jelly??
> >
> >Kathi
> >

> Hi Kathi
> Where are you located. Pomogranites can survive some winter cold down to

zone 8, so you might grow
> your own tree. I have a pomogranite tree in our back yard. It's easy to

start one from a cutting,
> so if you want one don't go out and buy it, just ask someone for some

cuttings and plant them. Our
> tree is ten years old now, about 12-15 feet high and produces hundreds of

pomogranites each year.
> We turned to making jelly as a way of disposing of excess fruit. Here is

my recipe to make six
> half-pints of PJ.
>
> 4 cups of pomogranite juice
> 1.75oz pectin
> 5 cups granulated white sugar
>
> For 4 cups of juice wash and cut in half 10-15 pomogranites, depending on

size. Juice the halves
> with a orange juicer and strain to remove any of the white pith that makes

the juice bitter.

> Place the juice in your jelly pot, add the pectin, and bring to a boil.

Add all 5 cups of sugar and
> continue heating. I also add a teaspoon of butter to control foaming.
>
> Now comes the somewhat tricky part. Pomogranites sometimes have a hard

time gelling, so this is how
> I proceed. Place two or three small saucers in the freezer to get them

ice cold. As ou boil the
> jelly you may not see jelly clinging to your spoon as described in the jam

books. When you think
> you've boiled enough, spoon some hot jelly onto an ice-cold saucer. Give

it a minute to cool, and
> if it gels on the dish, it is ready to place into jars. If it is still

syrupy, keep boiling. don't
> stop boiling untill you jelly gels on a dish. If the jelly start to boil

over as you continue to
> heat it just turn of flame down for a minute or two to let it settle down.

I find for my jelly the
> batch will not gel till it's tried to boil over at least 2 or 3 times.

Once it gels, quickly pour
> the hot jelly into washed/boiled jars and boil in a hot water bath for 5

minutes. Cool on a towel
> after boiling and check that all the seals are down.
>
> This has turned out to be a great recipe and we make cases of this jelly

to give away at Christmas
> time.
>
> Take care,
> Michael

Thanks Michael,

I'm in Zone 5a - never even considered that I could grow one. I've never
seen one for sale....

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Kathi Jones wrote:

> I was just curious, I don't think I'll ever make it unless the grocery store
> decides to give them away. Even a bottle of juice is $4.99 (the guy in the
> store said it's usually $3.99) and that's just way too expennsive to make
> jelly out of. I bet it would be tasty though,

You could mix it with either a more neutral juice such as apple or a
complimentary one like cranberry or raspberry for a more economical
product. Orange-pomegranate might work and even better if someone can
figure out how to make it 'swirl' in the jar.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>
> > I was just curious, I don't think I'll ever make it unless the grocery

store
> > decides to give them away. Even a bottle of juice is $4.99 (the guy in

the
> > store said it's usually $3.99) and that's just way too expennsive to

make
> > jelly out of. I bet it would be tasty though,

> You could mix it with either a more neutral juice such as apple or a
> complimentary one like cranberry or raspberry for a more economical
> product. Orange-pomegranate might work and even better if someone can
> figure out how to make it 'swirl' in the jar.
>
> B/

hey, that would be cool! You try first and let me know how it goes ;-)

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> [...]

> syrupy, keep boiling. don't
> > stop boiling untill you jelly gels on a dish. If the jelly start to boil

> over as you continue to
> > heat it just turn of flame down for a minute or two to let it settle down.

> I find for my jelly the
> > batch will not gel till it's tried to boil over at least 2 or 3 times.

> Once it gels, quickly pour
> > the hot jelly into washed/boiled jars and boil in a hot water bath for 5

> minutes. Cool on a towel
> > after boiling and check that all the seals are down.
> >
> > This has turned out to be a great recipe and we make cases of this jelly

> to give away at Christmas
> > time.
> >
> > Take care,
> > Michael

> Thanks Michael,
>
> I'm in Zone 5a - never even considered that I could grow one. I've never

The Red variety (I think there are 3 colors red white & pink) have beautiful red
flowers, stunning color and a really attractive bush/tree.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Puester

Default Pomegranate (was pomegranets)

Sorry, but the former editor in me has just broken loose.

It's "pomegranate".

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving
justme[Karen]

> 4 cups of pomogranite juice
> 1.75oz pectin
> 5 cups granulated white sugar

Is that pectin the powder or liquid I'm of the old school of imperial
measurements and not the metric stuff.

Thanks for your help,
Karen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Sorry, but the former editor in me has just broken loose.
>
> It's "pomegranate".
>
> gloria p

yep, the very first thing I said in my original post was (if that's how you
spell it)

thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"justme[Karen]" > wrote:

> > 4 cups of pomogranite juice
> > 1.75oz pectin
> > 5 cups granulated white sugar

> Is that pectin the powder or liquid I'm of the old school of imperial
> measurements and not the metric stuff.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Karen

That's powder - 1-3/4 ounces or 2 ounces* is how it's packed - liquid
comes in two 3-oz foil pouches per box. Recipes using liquid pectin will
specify use of one or both of the pouches.

Another way to know is by the method. Your instructions probably say to
mix the juice with the pectin, boil, then add the sugar and boil again.
That's the protocol for using a full-sugar powder pectin.

If you were using liquid pectin, your instruction would say to mix the
juice and the sugar, boil, then add the pectin and boil again.

Good luck with it. Pomegranate. "-)

The stuff in 2-oz boxes uses different measures of fruit and sugar in
its recipes -- I think that's MCP brand (also made by Kraft Foods. Why
are they so bent on confusing us!!?)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
justme[Karen]

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Thanks kindly for clearing that up for me <g> Just for a laugh I
phoned Kraft Foods Canada and asked if the recipes from different
companies were interchangeable as I wanted to try a Barnardin recipe.
She said none of the recipes were interchangeable as all pectins and
all companies make their pectins of different strengths.

I clarified that it was a powdered pectin recipe and that I wasn't
going to substitute powdered for liquid. She told me it wouldn't set.

I thanked her for her help and smiled as I was looking at 7 x 8 oz
jars of peach and black raspberry conserves that had set right nice.

Barb I really appreciate your patience and help

Karen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"justme[Karen]" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> Thanks kindly for clearing that up for me <g> Just for a laugh I
> phoned Kraft Foods Canada and asked if the recipes from different
> companies were interchangeable as I wanted to try a Barnardin recipe.
> She said none of the recipes were interchangeable as all pectins and
> all companies make their pectins of different strengths.
>
> I clarified that it was a powdered pectin recipe and that I wasn't
> going to substitute powdered for liquid. She told me it wouldn't set.
>
> I thanked her for her help and smiled as I was looking at 7 x 8 oz
> jars of peach and black raspberry conserves that had set right nice.
>
> Barb I really appreciate your patience and help
>
> Karen

My pleasure. IMHO, that business about the powder pectin recipes not
being interchangeable is baloney (if they're the same size and the
recipes for 'typical' products use the same measures) -- and it makes
sense to me that they would say that -- after all, why would they want
you using someone else's pectin with their recipe? How much of their
pectin will THAT sell? :-)

That said, I'm wondering if the Bernardin full-sugar pectin is a 2-oz
box rather than a 1-3/4 ounce box. Ellen?

I'm happy to help - and hope I didn't confuse you with all that.
(Did I mention that I'm leaving on a jet plane in 5-1/2 hours? Still
packing! And I have to run to Target yet. Eeep!)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "justme[Karen]" > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>Thanks kindly for clearing that up for me <g> Just for a laugh I
>>phoned Kraft Foods Canada and asked if the recipes from different
>>companies were interchangeable as I wanted to try a Barnardin recipe.
>>She said none of the recipes were interchangeable as all pectins and
>>all companies make their pectins of different strengths.
>>
>>I clarified that it was a powdered pectin recipe and that I wasn't
>>going to substitute powdered for liquid. She told me it wouldn't set.
>>
>>I thanked her for her help and smiled as I was looking at 7 x 8 oz
>>jars of peach and black raspberry conserves that had set right nice.
>>
>>Barb I really appreciate your patience and help
>>
>>Karen

> My pleasure. IMHO, that business about the powder pectin recipes not
> being interchangeable is baloney (if they're the same size and the
> recipes for 'typical' products use the same measures) -- and it makes
> sense to me that they would say that -- after all, why would they want
> you using someone else's pectin with their recipe? How much of their
> pectin will THAT sell? :-)
>
> That said, I'm wondering if the Bernardin full-sugar pectin is a 2-oz
> box rather than a 1-3/4 ounce box. Ellen?
>
> I'm happy to help - and hope I didn't confuse you with all that.
> (Did I mention that I'm leaving on a jet plane in 5-1/2 hours? Still
> packing! And I have to run to Target yet. Eeep!)

The Bernardin pectin ( regular) is 57 grams and since my dictionary says
an ounce is approximately 28 grams ( I always thought it was closer to
27) it is a smidgen more than 2 ounces. By the way, someone, I forget
who, referred to "imperial" measure. If that was cups, quarts and stuff
in the US it wasn't imperial. Our old imperial quart was a full US cup
larger than the US one, gallons and other stuff accordingly and heaven
only knows about British/Imperial spoon sizes.
More than you wanted to know,
Ellen