zxcvbob

Default Can Oiled Cheesecloth be Substituded for Sausage Casings?

Charlie wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I am jumping into sausage making and am wondering if oiled
> cheesecloth can be substituted for natural or collogen casings in
> making cured and smoked sausages, such as andouille, summer sausage,
> keilbasa, etc.
>
> A web search has only yielded two results.... not enough for a
> consensus.

Next time I make salami, I'm gonna try using some white muslin sewn into
a tube for a casing. I have natural and collogen casings, but I want to
try cloth casings to see how it works. I don't think cheesecloth would
be strong enough, and muslin is cheaper anyway.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 29 Sep 2005 08:14:07p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Charlie wrote:
>> Hey everyone.
>>
>> I am jumping into sausage making and am wondering if oiled
>> cheesecloth can be substituted for natural or collogen casings in
>> making cured and smoked sausages, such as andouille, summer sausage,
>> keilbasa, etc.
>>
>> A web search has only yielded two results.... not enough for a
>> consensus.
>>

> Next time I make salami, I'm gonna try using some white muslin sewn into
> a tube for a casing. I have natural and collogen casings, but I want to
> try cloth casings to see how it works. I don't think cheesecloth would
> be strong enough, and muslin is cheaper anyway.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Years ago there was a meat packing plant in MS that used a cloth casing for
their fresh pork sausage. It seemed to be a heavy muslin, and it work
quite well. Many people were not happy about the change to plastic. I'm
not sure how it would work for cured sausages.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Years ago there was a meat packing plant in MS that used a cloth casing
> for
> their fresh pork sausage. It seemed to be a heavy muslin, and it work
> quite well. Many people were not happy about the change to plastic. I'm
> not sure how it would work for cured sausages.

A Scottish 'delicacy' is sausage pressed into a loaf shape and sliced.
Called Lorne Sausage and it certainly saves all that time with icky
casings

Another Sausage Question: Casings Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 20 18-03-2015 02:23 PM
Can Oiled Cheesecloth be Substituded for Sausage Casings? Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 4 04-10-2005 05:41 AM
Sausage casings are tough. OK to restuff into new casings? Pierre Barbecue 3 07-06-2005 02:00 AM
Sausage casings M&M Barbecue 2 07-04-2004 01:26 AM
Sausage casings needed \Piedmont\ Barbecue 3 26-03-2004 03:31 PM