A.T.Hagan

Default Howdy folks.

Howdy folks.

I've been missing the Usenet for a while now so decided to bite the
bullet and try to come to terms with Thunderbird and its ways.
Rec.food.preserving is my first stop and my first post.

Glad to see Barb Schaller and Bob Pastorio are still here and very glad
to hear that George Shirley survived the hurricanes with no more damage
than he has sustained. We share a similar problem now as I've got holes
in my roof still from the two hurricanes that hit me last year here in
Florida.

Barb, I've been a jam making fool this year now that I've finally
discovered no-sugar pectin so I can make lower sugar jams. I'm only a
couple of decades behind the curve but I got there. Been canning a lot
of meat this year too thanks to Ms. Frances and Ms. Jeanne showing me
that keeping so much of the family meat supply in the freezer is not
without risk.

It's good to be back where I can really talk food again.

......Alan.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, wrote:

> Howdy folks.
>
> I've been missing the Usenet for a while now so decided to bite the
> bullet and try to come to terms with Thunderbird and its ways.
> Rec.food.preserving is my first stop and my first post.
>
> Glad to see Barb Schaller and Bob Pastorio are still here and very glad
> to hear that George Shirley survived the hurricanes with no more damage
> than he has sustained. We share a similar problem now as I've got holes
> in my roof still from the two hurricanes that hit me last year here in
> Florida.
>
> Barb, I've been a jam making fool this year now that I've finally
> discovered no-sugar pectin so I can make lower sugar jams. I'm only a
> couple of decades behind the curve but I got there. Been canning a lot
> of meat this year too thanks to Ms. Frances and Ms. Jeanne showing me
> that keeping so much of the family meat supply in the freezer is not
> without risk.
>
> It's good to be back where I can really talk food again.
>
> .....Alan.

Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
days (be ME), Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom. Ma Pickle's
disappeared, Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year, Pastorio has
gone commercial with his stuff, and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from
in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.

WeBeJammin', Dude!
Welcome home!

-Barb
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
A.T.Hagan

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:30:23 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
>here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
>restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
>days (be ME),

Haven't you been doing that for at least the last five years? I think
he's too set in his ways to change now! {laughing}

> Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom.

Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
return to a civlized condition.

>Ma Pickle's disappeared,

She's over in the Canning group on Yahoo now. I was just reading some
of her stuff the other day.

> Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year,

Glad to hear Ellen and Vicky are still with us.

>Pastorio has gone commercial with his stuff,

Bob's always been commercial hasn't he? He's a professional food
writer as I recall (in addition to many other endeavors).

>and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago.

Yeah, it's too bad about Paul. Finally got a more or less for-real
smoker this year and would love to talk about it with him. I've made
two nice batches of chipotles so far.

I don't suppose anyone has heard from Leslie Basel either since she
married?

>The FAQ file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
>thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.

I was just looking at that the other day too and it does look good. I
updated the Prudent Food Storage FAQ about a year and a half ago. Need
to update the suppliers section again though. You know how fast that
stuff goes out of date. Really ought to rework it to make it easier
to navigate - one day.

>WeBeJammin', Dude!
>Welcome home!

Thanks. It's good to be back.

BTW, you got a good persimmon jam recipe?

......Alan.

The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that you do not realize the consequences of your actions. You will have to deal with them just the same.

The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, A.T.Hagan
> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:30:23 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
> >here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
> >restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
> >days (be ME),

> Haven't you been doing that for at least the last five years? I think
> he's too set in his ways to change now! {laughing}

Hope springs eternal.

> > Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom.

> Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
> him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
> return to a civlized condition.

Do a Google Groups search and you'll unearth it.

> > Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year,

> Glad to hear Ellen and Vicky are still with us.
>
> >Pastorio has gone commercial with his stuff,

> Bob's always been commercial hasn't he? He's a professional food
> writer as I recall (in addition to many other endeavors).

That, too.

> >and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from in years. Darn that! The
> >horse's patoot left two years ago.

> Yeah, it's too bad about Paul. Finally got a more or less for-real
> smoker this year and would love to talk about it with him. I've made
> two nice batches of chipotles so far.

AFAIK, he's still got the same address and I'm sure would be happy to
hear from you.

BTW, the above referenced horse's patoot was NOT Paul! I just reread it
and see the possible misinterpretation. I'm surprised Bob didn't
correct me. "-)

> I don't suppose anyone has heard from Leslie Basel either since she
> married?

Dropped out of sight. A cryin' shame she did, too.

> >The FAQ file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned
> >impressive, thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.

> I was just looking at that the other day too and it does look good. I
> updated the Prudent Food Storage FAQ about a year and a half ago. Need
> to update the suppliers section again though. You know how fast that
> stuff goes out of date. Really ought to rework it to make it easier
> to navigate - one day.
>
> >WeBeJammin', Dude!
> >Welcome home!

> Thanks. It's good to be back.
>
> BTW, you got a good persimmon jam recipe?

Not me. I think George made persimmon jam, and maybe Ellen, too.
I don't know from persimmons.

> .....Alan.
> The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
> http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, wrote:
>

>>Howdy folks.
>>
>>I've been missing the Usenet for a while now so decided to bite the
>>bullet and try to come to terms with Thunderbird and its ways.
>>Rec.food.preserving is my first stop and my first post.
>>
>>Glad to see Barb Schaller and Bob Pastorio are still here and very glad
>>to hear that George Shirley survived the hurricanes with no more damage
>>than he has sustained. We share a similar problem now as I've got holes
>>in my roof still from the two hurricanes that hit me last year here in
>>Florida.
>>
>>Barb, I've been a jam making fool this year now that I've finally
>>discovered no-sugar pectin so I can make lower sugar jams. I'm only a
>>couple of decades behind the curve but I got there. Been canning a lot
>>of meat this year too thanks to Ms. Frances and Ms. Jeanne showing me
>>that keeping so much of the family meat supply in the freezer is not
>>without risk.
>>
>>It's good to be back where I can really talk food again.
>>
>>.....Alan.
>>

> Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
> here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
> restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
> days (be ME), Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom. Ma Pickle's
> disappeared, Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year, Pastorio has
> gone commercial with his stuff, and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from
> in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
> file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
> thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.
>
> WeBeJammin', Dude!
> Welcome home!
>
> -Barb

Barb, can I ask a really dumb question? Who is/was the horse's patoot?
I saw a reference to this poster in the other ng but in less
flattering terms.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, ~patches~
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snippage)
> > in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
> > file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
> > thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.
> >
> > WeBeJammin', Dude!
> > Welcome home!
> >
> > -Barb

> Barb, can I ask a really dumb question? Who is/was the horse's patoot?
> I saw a reference to this poster in the other ng but in less
> flattering terms.

His name is Eric Decker. A knowledgeable man but way too full of
himself. He took his marbles and left when we wouldn't let him get away
with changing the charter on which this group was founded. Long story.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, A.T.Hagan
> > wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:30:23 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>>

>>>Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
>>>here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
>>>restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
>>>days (be ME),

>>Haven't you been doing that for at least the last five years? I think
>>he's too set in his ways to change now! {laughing}

> Hope springs eternal.
>

>>>Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom.

>>Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
>>him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
>>return to a civlized condition.

> Do a Google Groups search and you'll unearth it.
>

>>>Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year,

>>Glad to hear Ellen and Vicky are still with us.
>>

>>>Pastorio has gone commercial with his stuff,

>>Bob's always been commercial hasn't he? He's a professional food
>>writer as I recall (in addition to many other endeavors).

> That, too.
>

>>>and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from in years. Darn that! The
>>>horse's patoot left two years ago.

>>Yeah, it's too bad about Paul. Finally got a more or less for-real
>>smoker this year and would love to talk about it with him. I've made
>>two nice batches of chipotles so far.

> AFAIK, he's still got the same address and I'm sure would be happy to
> hear from you.
>
> BTW, the above referenced horse's patoot was NOT Paul! I just reread it
> and see the possible misinterpretation. I'm surprised Bob didn't
> correct me. "-)

I thought HP was referring to Paul. ;-) Patoot for disappearing a
couple of years ago.

Or did you mean that other Bob?

-Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snippage)
> > BTW, the above referenced horse's patoot was NOT Paul! I just
> > reread it and see the possible misinterpretation. I'm surprised
> > Bob didn't correct me. "-)

> I thought HP was referring to Paul. ;-)

Yeah, sure you did. Liar.

> Patoot for disappearing a couple of years ago.

> Or did you mean that other Bob?

Nope. I rang and you answered. "-)

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
A.T.Hagan

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:32:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, ~patches~
> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>(snippage)
>> > in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
>> > file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
>> > thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.
>> >
>> > WeBeJammin', Dude!
>> > Welcome home!
>> >
>> > -Barb

>> Barb, can I ask a really dumb question? Who is/was the horse's patoot?
>> I saw a reference to this poster in the other ng but in less
>> flattering terms.

>His name is Eric Decker. A knowledgeable man but way too full of
>himself. He took his marbles and left when we wouldn't let him get away
>with changing the charter on which this group was founded. Long story.

I had wondered about Eric, but didn't want to say anything.

......Alan.

---
The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that
you do not realize the consequences of your actions.
You will have to deal with them just the same.

The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snippage)
>
>>>BTW, the above referenced horse's patoot was NOT Paul! I just
>>>reread it and see the possible misinterpretation. I'm surprised
>>>Bob didn't correct me. "-)

>>I thought HP was referring to Paul. ;-)

> Yeah, sure you did. Liar.
>
>>Patoot for disappearing a couple of years ago.

>>Or did you mean that other Bob?

> Nope. I rang and you answered. "-)

You rang...?

Pastorio

Ophelia

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snippage)
>> > in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
>> > file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
>> > thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.
>> >
>> > WeBeJammin', Dude!
>> > Welcome home!
>> >
>> > -Barb

>> Barb, can I ask a really dumb question? Who is/was the horse's patoot?
>> I saw a reference to this poster in the other ng but in less
>> flattering terms.

> His name is Eric Decker. A knowledgeable man but way too full of
> himself. He took his marbles and left when we wouldn't let him get away
> with changing the charter on which this group was founded. Long story.

.... but but but he was the certified (I use this description with a grin)
keeper here innit?) It must have been right cos he kept telling us so)

A.T.Hagan wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:30:23 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Hey, you! Nice to see you again. We're still a pretty civil place
> >here. Same old same old. Ellen Wickberg is still lovely and
> >restrained, zxcvbob is gonna get smacked upside the head one of these
> >days (be ME),

> Haven't you been doing that for at least the last five years? I think
> he's too set in his ways to change now! {laughing}
>
> > Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom.

> Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
> him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
> return to a civlized condition.
>
> >Ma Pickle's disappeared,

> She's over in the Canning group on Yahoo now. I was just reading some
> of her stuff the other day.
>
> > Vicky Shaw shows up a couple times a year,

> Glad to hear Ellen and Vicky are still with us.
>
> >Pastorio has gone commercial with his stuff,

> Bob's always been commercial hasn't he? He's a professional food
> writer as I recall (in addition to many other endeavors).
>
> >and Paul Hinrichs hasn't been heard from in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago.

> Yeah, it's too bad about Paul. Finally got a more or less for-real
> smoker this year and would love to talk about it with him. I've made
> two nice batches of chipotles so far.
>
> I don't suppose anyone has heard from Leslie Basel either since she
> married?
>
> >The FAQ file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
> >thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.

> I was just looking at that the other day too and it does look good. I
> updated the Prudent Food Storage FAQ about a year and a half ago. Need
> to update the suppliers section again though. You know how fast that
> stuff goes out of date. Really ought to rework it to make it easier
> to navigate - one day.
>
> >WeBeJammin', Dude!
> >Welcome home!

> Thanks. It's good to be back.
>
> BTW, you got a good persimmon jam recipe?
>
> .....Alan.
>
> The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that you do not realize the consequences of your actions. You will have to deal with them just the same.
>
> The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
> http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
me in
there somewhere.

Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
and they said it was already gone. Oh well, we'll have to be homesick a
little longer. Bad part is that my daughter, her hubby, and her
daughter all smoke, IN THE FREAKING HOUSE, and my wife is allergic to
it. Otherwise they're good people and don't mind two old people and a
dog camping with them.

AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.

Gotta go, will report back intermittently because I miss reading all of
the posts my friends send in. Stay warm or cool dependent upon where
you live nowadays. Living with your children really sucks.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
wrote:

> A.T.Hagan wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:30:23 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> > > Jorge is still the fount of all wisdom.

> > Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
> > him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
> > return to a civlized condition.

> You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
> to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
> me in
> there somewhere.
>
> Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
> take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
> Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
> around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
> is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
> and they said it was already gone. Oh well, we'll have to be homesick a
> little longer. Bad part is that my daughter, her hubby, and her
> daughter all smoke, IN THE FREAKING HOUSE, and my wife is allergic to
> it. Otherwise they're good people and don't mind two old people and a
> dog camping with them.
>
> AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
> about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
> eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
> all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
> We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.
>
> Gotta go, will report back intermittently because I miss reading all of
> the posts my friends send in. Stay warm or cool dependent upon where
> you live nowadays. Living with your children really sucks.
>
> George

Dude!! Keep us on your dial, eh? And let us hear from you. We've
gotyour in our prayers. I'm really sorry about the smoke thing --
that's a real pain and people who smoke in their homes have no clue
about what it's like for a non-smoker. And for Miz Anne, it's got to be
even worse. And for all that, thank God for the children who take us in
when needed. (Better start making alternate plans for your life in The
Home, Jorge. "-)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snippage)
>
>>>in years. Darn that! The horse's patoot left two years ago. The FAQ
>>>file was redone a year or so back and looks pretty darned impressive,
>>>thanks to Jack Eddington keeping it tiptop.
>>>
>>>WeBeJammin', Dude!
>>>Welcome home!
>>>
>>>-Barb

>>Barb, can I ask a really dumb question? Who is/was the horse's patoot?
>> I saw a reference to this poster in the other ng but in less
>>flattering terms.

> His name is Eric Decker. A knowledgeable man but way too full of
> himself. He took his marbles and left when we wouldn't let him get away
> with changing the charter on which this group was founded. Long story.

Thanks for the explanation Barb. I'll google him when I get a chance.
Kathi Jones

(big snip)

> > The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
> > http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

> You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
> to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
> me in
> there somewhere.
>
> Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
> take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
> Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
> around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
> is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
> and they said it was already gone. Oh well, we'll have to be homesick a
> little longer. Bad part is that my daughter, her hubby, and her
> daughter all smoke, IN THE FREAKING HOUSE, and my wife is allergic to
> it. Otherwise they're good people and don't mind two old people and a
> dog camping with them.
>
> AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
> about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
> eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
> all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
> We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.
>
> Gotta go, will report back intermittently because I miss reading all of
> the posts my friends send in. Stay warm or cool dependent upon where
> you live nowadays. Living with your children really sucks.
>
> George

LOL! Hey, taken from you're kids point of view, I bet it sucks having the
parents live with them!

But seriously, glad to hear you are well and safe, George. Back in '98, we
were on a week long waiting list to get a genny during the ice storm. We
then used it to pump the water out of the sump hole every 1/2 hour, round
the clock. And we ate really well as long as everything from the
defrosting freezer could be BBQ'd. Thankfully, we didn't have to make any
insurance claims.

Take care!

Kathi

pheasant

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,

>>Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
>>take home and set up housekeeping.

ACME Electric Bismarck, ND 701 258-1267 had lots of gen sets yesterday
when I was there to get a mower blade.

Mark
--
The world's least questioned excuse for missing work....
"the voices in my head told me to stay home and

PepBoys had an ad this am for 5500 wat gens ready to go. I had called
them yesterday and they were out and expecting many today, tomorrow or
Tuesday. Reckon they came in Saturday as they had a big ad in the
Houston Chronicle this morning. Getting up really early might pay off,
I don't think they open until 0900 but I'm gonna call and reserve one
at that time. Now to find a couple of small ac units, will call Lowe's
and Home Depot in a bit and ask. Got some hope that juice will be on
soon. Neighbor posted on lakecharles.com yesterday afternoon that the
power company was turning on the power three blocks from our home.
We're going there tomorrow regardless. I contacted a tree trimmer
yesterday and he is to call back today with a price on removing a
humongous tree and many, as in a great many, tree limbs from our
property. Also got hold of one of my clients who runs an electrical
contractor company and he will have two electricians at the house
tomorrow to replace the meter pot, power head, wire to the pole and
check our house system out. There is daylight at the end of the tunnel.

George, breathing several sighs of relief.

If I can get home tomorrow and get the puter up and running again I
will post some persimmon jam recipes I have. Be patient.

George

William R. Watt

) writes:

>...Got some hope that juice will be on
> soon. Neighbor posted on lakecharles.com yesterday afternoon that the
> power company was turning on the power three blocks from our home.
> We're going there tomorrow regardless. I contacted a tree trimmer
> yesterday and he is to call back today with a price on removing a
> humongous tree and many, as in a great many, tree limbs from our
> property.

A $50 electric chain saw is a very handy thing to have. A person can cut up
windfalls without the effort of stressful barbarian hand sawing. I keep
one on hand. It means waiting until the power comes back on to clean up.
A gas saw can be used any time. You need to buy some oil for the chain.
Every so often while cutting you press a button to release a bit of oil
onto the chain.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth, Atlantic.net has just
stopped posting my stuff! Been trying for three days so now I throw my
hands up in disgust and will do it via Goggle until I hear back from
their tech support.

On 1 Oct 2005 06:00:13 -0700, wrote:
>You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
>to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
>me in there somewhere.

Yep, I'll be looking for it. It was you I had in mind when I went
crazy and planted sixty jalapenos and cayennes. Puny as they are
they're hot enough for me. I'll leave the more manly peppers for you!
{laughing]

>Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
>take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
>Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
>around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
>is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
>and they said it was already gone.

Jeez George all those years you lived in Louisiana and you didn't have
any of that stuff already? We do have 5 gal cans here in Florida at
the moment, but they'd likely only cost twice as much as they're worth
to ship them to you. Last year was the first time I ever considered
buying a room sized AC unit to run off the genset and ran into the
same problem you're having now - everyone else thought of it too so
there wasn't a unit to be had anywhere. Be careful running electronics
directly from a generator. Many of the low end jobs do not put out the
quality of power that some sensitive electronics want and can be
damaged or not work right. Plugging a UPS into the genset then
plugging a computer or other device ought to be OK.

>AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
>about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
>eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
>all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
>We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.

>From hard experience I've found that if you wheel the freezer or

refrigerator out into the yard where you can simply toss everything
out onto the ground without making a mess it's easier. Hose out the
insides as best you can then spray or wipe it all down with pure
bleach and close the door as-is and leave it in the sun. By the next
day you'll be able to finish the job without having to wear breathing
apparatus. A hundred pounds of shrimp rotting in a freezer over a
Florida summer can be pretty intense.

Good to hear from ya!

......Alan.

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>

>>A.T.Hagan wrote:

>>>Good. I've got bags of cayennes in my freezer and I want to talk to
>>>him about how he's been making his hot sauces if ever he manages to
>>>return to a civlized condition.

>>You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
>>to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
>>me in
>>there somewhere.
>>
>>Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
>>take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
>>Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
>>around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
>>is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
>>and they said it was already gone. Oh well, we'll have to be homesick a
>>little longer. Bad part is that my daughter, her hubby, and her
>>daughter all smoke, IN THE FREAKING HOUSE, and my wife is allergic to
>>it. Otherwise they're good people and don't mind two old people and a
>>dog camping with them.
>>
>>AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
>>about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
>>eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
>>all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
>>We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.
>>
>>Gotta go, will report back intermittently because I miss reading all of
>>the posts my friends send in. Stay warm or cool dependent upon where
>>you live nowadays. Living with your children really sucks.
>>
>>George

> Dude!! Keep us on your dial, eh? And let us hear from you. We've
> gotyour in our prayers. I'm really sorry about the smoke thing --
> that's a real pain and people who smoke in their homes have no clue
> about what it's like for a non-smoker. And for Miz Anne, it's got to be
> even worse. And for all that, thank God for the children who take us in
> when needed. (Better start making alternate plans for your life in The
> Home, Jorge. "-)

We've been home about two weeks now, got electricity last Tuesday,
internet back up today, had a glitch in the house telephone lines where
the roof leaked on a junction box, tech showed up while we were gone,
went into the attic, fixed it, and left me a note. Good tech and a good
friend too.

Anyone need a generator, two ac's and several 5 gallon gas cans? Sure is
nice to be sleeping in our own beds and no one smoking in the house. My
middle grandson is "blue roofing" for FEMA here in town and he and his
crew are sleeping all over the house. Boy is getting rich off of this
storm, gets six cents a foot for putting blue tarp roofs on houses and
is doing about 20,000 square feet a day. We feed the crew and they buy
the steaks, potatoes, etc that they prefer to eat so we're eating pretty
good too.

Lots of devastation in our formerly tree lined streets, many houses
totally destroyed by falling trees, not much flooding except near the
drainage canals. Our town will not look the same once it is cleared up.
We lost a 400 yo (approximate) white oak tree and our peach tree too.

George

George Shirley

wrote:

>>You gonna make sauce outa them puny little cayennes? What do you want
>>to know Alan? The archives for this group should have methods, etc from
>>me in there somewhere.

> Yep, I'll be looking for it. It was you I had in mind when I went
> crazy and planted sixty jalapenos and cayennes. Puny as they are
> they're hot enough for me. I'll leave the more manly peppers for you!
> {laughing]
>

>>Update: Still can't find a generator, 5 gal gas cans, or 5K btu ac's to
>>take home and set up housekeeping. Once business hours start here in
>>Tomball, TX I will be calling everyone who owns a business and asking
>>around. It's tough to find stuff when half or better of the Gulf Coast
>>is looking for it too. Even tried to order some stuff out of California
>>and they said it was already gone.

> Jeez George all those years you lived in Louisiana and you didn't have
> any of that stuff already? We do have 5 gal cans here in Florida at
> the moment, but they'd likely only cost twice as much as they're worth
> to ship them to you. Last year was the first time I ever considered
> buying a room sized AC unit to run off the genset and ran into the
> same problem you're having now - everyone else thought of it too so
> there wasn't a unit to be had anywhere. Be careful running electronics
> directly from a generator. Many of the low end jobs do not put out the
> quality of power that some sensitive electronics want and can be
> damaged or not work right. Plugging a UPS into the genset then
> plugging a computer or other device ought to be OK.

I used my multimeter to check the generator output, 60 cycle, 120 volt
juice, steady as a rock. Ran it through my UPS anyway. Just got internet
service back today.

>>AFAIK we only lost the stuff in the two freezers, of course that was
>>about 2 years worth of gardening and preserving but it can be replaced
>>eventually. I didn't even try to save the Tilia bags that was holding
>>all that food, reckon the insurance company will have to pay for them.
>>We did get to it in time to keep the stench from settling in.

>>From hard experience I've found that if you wheel the freezer or

> refrigerator out into the yard where you can simply toss everything
> out onto the ground without making a mess it's easier. Hose out the
> insides as best you can then spray or wipe it all down with pure
> bleach and close the door as-is and leave it in the sun. By the next
> day you'll be able to finish the job without having to wear breathing
> apparatus. A hundred pounds of shrimp rotting in a freezer over a
> Florida summer can be pretty intense.

Everything in our freezer was in vac bags and they hadn't started to
swell yet when we got to the freezer on 09/26 so no smell. Our streets
are stacked with freezers and refrigerators, FEMA will pick them up,
drain the freon back to storage, then sort them into recylable metals,
plastics, etc.

> Good to hear from ya!
>
> .....Alan.

George

William R. Watt

> We lost a 400 yo (approximate) white oak tree and our peach tree too.

I'll bet the only parts that were lost were the parts that were sticking
up above the ground. There are still 400 year old roots under the ground
to send up new growth in the spring, or whenever the growing season starts
that far south. With 400 year's worth of roots in the ground regrowth
will be accellerated.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Everything in our freezer was in vac bags and they hadn't started to
> swell yet when we got to the freezer on 09/26 so no smell. Our streets
> are stacked with freezers and refrigerators, FEMA will pick them up,
> drain the freon back to storage, then sort them into recylable metals,
> plastics, etc.
> >
> > Good to hear from ya!
> >
> > .....Alan.
> >

> George

But .. but, how about your shoes? Heels still attached? I'm still rooting fer
y'all. We gotta name some kinda pickles or soup or something after this. My
best to Sister Anne (I still got a few jars of pickled okra left).
Edrena

Ophelia

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
..

> Lots of devastation in our formerly tree lined streets, many houses
> totally destroyed by falling trees, not much flooding except near the
> drainage canals. Our town will not look the same once it is cleared
> up. We lost a 400 yo (approximate) white oak tree and our peach tree
> too.

It is very good to see you back, safe and posting

Ophelia

George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:
>>We lost a 400 yo (approximate) white oak tree and our peach tree too.

> I'll bet the only parts that were lost were the parts that were sticking
> up above the ground. There are still 400 year old roots under the ground
> to send up new growth in the spring, or whenever the growing season starts
> that far south. With 400 year's worth of roots in the ground regrowth
> will be accellerated.

We get so much rain and the ground water is so close to the surface that
the oaks are very shallow rooted and go over roots and all when they go.
Live oaks are the exception, most of them survived.

George

> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Everything in our freezer was in vac bags and they hadn't started to
>>swell yet when we got to the freezer on 09/26 so no smell. Our streets
>>are stacked with freezers and refrigerators, FEMA will pick them up,
>>drain the freon back to storage, then sort them into recylable metals,
>>plastics, etc.
>>
>>>Good to hear from ya!
>>>
>>>.....Alan.
>>>

>>George

> But .. but, how about your shoes? Heels still attached? I'm still rooting fer
> y'all. We gotta name some kinda pickles or soup or something after this. My
> best to Sister Anne (I still got a few jars of pickled okra left).
> Edrena

Still attached, shoes need polishing, may do that today. Just opened one
of those teensy little jars of loquat jam made last year to put on my
breakfast biscuits. Right tasty stuff even if I did make it myself. The
Japanese persimmons on our tree flew away during the storm and I do hope
no one was injured by them. There were about 60 of them and I was
looking forward to persimmon jam later this fall.

George

George

William R. Watt

I sure envy the people who can "see" and "hear" Geo Shirley in Lousisanna,
home from the hurricane evacuation. On my computer all I can do is read
what he types and listen to the gentle hum of the cooling fan.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Loki

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:38:10 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Still attached, shoes need polishing, may do that today. Just opened one
>of those teensy little jars of loquat jam made last year to put on my
>breakfast biscuits. Right tasty stuff even if I did make it myself. The
>Japanese persimmons on our tree flew away during the storm and I do hope
>no one was injured by them. There were about 60 of them and I was
>looking forward to persimmon jam later this fall.

That brings up a question I've had for a few weeks.

Our pecan trees lost most of their pecans during Rita. They are all
over the ground, still green. Are they a lost cause?

Loki

Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

(snip)

There you are.

B/

William R. Watt

Default when are nuts ripe? (was: Howdy folks.

Loki ) writes:

> That brings up a question I've had for a few weeks.
>
> Our pecan trees lost most of their pecans during Rita. They are all
> over the ground, still green. Are they a lost cause?

Have you broken any open to see what they're like inside?
I'd nibble one to see what if it tastes bitter.

Last year I was opening butternuts, a kind of walnut, to see when they
might be ripe enough to gather before the squirrels got to them. The
kernel was just jelly at first but as I tested over a few weeks they
gradually got firm. When they looked firm enough I gathered what nuts I
could reach in the trees. They were okay for cracking and freezing
(winter-baked pies were fine) but none of the ones I planted sprouted so I
must have gathered them before they were fully ripe. (Black walnuts I
gathered later and planted did sprout.) The butternut husks were still
geen when I gathered them. Once gathered they sat around long enough for
the husks to dry before cracking and they didn't seem to ripen any during
that time off the tree. For planting I would wait until the husks turn
brown.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:38:10 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Still attached, shoes need polishing, may do that today. Just opened one
>>of those teensy little jars of loquat jam made last year to put on my
>>breakfast biscuits. Right tasty stuff even if I did make it myself. The
>>Japanese persimmons on our tree flew away during the storm and I do hope
>>no one was injured by them. There were about 60 of them and I was
>>looking forward to persimmon jam later this fall.

> That brings up a question I've had for a few weeks.
>
> Our pecan trees lost most of their pecans during Rita. They are all
> over the ground, still green. Are they a lost cause?
>
> Loki

Yep, they won't ripen once they fall but the squirrels will still eat
them. All the pecans here did the same and thus all over the state. Saw
a blurb in the paper the other day that said the state pecan crop was
kaput for this year.

George

Loki

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:32:46 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Yep, they won't ripen once they fall but the squirrels will still eat
>them. All the pecans here did the same and thus all over the state. Saw
>a blurb in the paper the other day that said the state pecan crop was
>kaput for this year.

That's pretty much what I'd feared. Thanks. <sigh>

Loki
William R. Watt

> Yep, they won't ripen once they fall but the squirrels will still eat
> them. All the pecans here did the same and thus all over the state. Saw
> a blurb in the paper the other day that said the state pecan crop was
> kaput for this year.

Could be a bumper hog finishing year.

I'd suggest putting pigs out to forage in the pecan groves. Smoked ham
comes under preserves, windfall oaks providing smoke.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:

>>Yep, they won't ripen once they fall but the squirrels will still eat
>>them. All the pecans here did the same and thus all over the state. Saw
>>a blurb in the paper the other day that said the state pecan crop was
>>kaput for this year.

> Could be a bumper hog finishing year.
>
> I'd suggest putting pigs out to forage in the pecan groves. Smoked ham
> comes under preserves, windfall oaks providing smoke.

> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

Most pecan farmers won't even think of that method William, they will
just apply for "free" gubmint loans to carry them until next year. Since
I lost my entire persimmon crop I might try to get a gubmint loan myself.

George

Howdy-Hey! Saerah Gray General Cooking 5 18-08-2006 06:05 AM
Howdy-Hey! Saerah Gray General Cooking 13 17-08-2006 04:00 AM
just saying howdy again Jim Sourdough 0 08-01-2006 02:41 PM
Howdy Damsel General Cooking 10 28-07-2005 05:59 PM