~patches~

Default Brandy Help Needed

X-posted to rec.food.preserving

I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since
I've seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB
recipe for brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a
bottle of brandy and don't know what to do with it so I'm turning to the
preservers and cookers to find out what to use it for. I've googled
with no luck. Our harvest will be ending in about a month or so. From
my garden I still have green beens, chard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers,
and herbs none of which immediately appear to go with brandy. Local
produce is mainly a variety of apples, tomatoes, and squashes. Are
there any sauces I could make using brandy? I was thinking brandied
applesauce but then thought baked apples with a brandy sauce might be
nice. I'd like to use 1/2 the bottle for something preserved and the
other 1/2 for cooking with. I'm drawing a blank here so would really,
really appreciate any help. -- I should have bought beer, dagnabbit! --
Peter Aitken

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> X-posted to rec.food.preserving
>
> I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
> small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since I've
> seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB recipe for
> brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a bottle of brandy
> and don't know what to do with it so I'm turning to the preservers and
> cookers to find out what to use it for. I've googled with no luck. Our
> harvest will be ending in about a month or so. From my garden I still
> have green beens, chard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs none of
> which immediately appear to go with brandy. Local produce is mainly a
> variety of apples, tomatoes, and squashes. Are there any sauces I could
> make using brandy? I was thinking brandied applesauce but then thought
> baked apples with a brandy sauce might be nice. I'd like to use 1/2 the
> bottle for something preserved and the other 1/2 for cooking with. I'm
> drawing a blank here so would really, really appreciate any help. -- I
> should have bought beer, dagnabbit! --

Brandy keeps forever. It has a lot of uses, not only in preserving and
baking but in "regular" cooking No hurry to use it.

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> X-posted to rec.food.preserving
>
> I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
> small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since
> I've seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB
> recipe for brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a
> bottle of brandy and don't know what to do with it.

I like this combo...

Baked Apples in Butter Brandy Sauce
Printed from Allrecipes

These apples make their own sauce, which is decadent over
vanilla ice cream.

4 large Granny Smith apples,
peeled and cored
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brandy

Directions
1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2 Place apples in a shallow baking dish. Mix together the
brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg;
pack the mixture into the cores of the apples and pile the
remaining on the tops. The tops of the apples should be covered.
Place 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each apple. Pour the
brandy into the dish, drizzling over the apples. Cover the
dish with aluminum foil.
3 Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until apples
can be sliced with a spoon. Serve in a bowl with some ice
cream, and spoon sauce over. The sauce will be slightly runny.
---

Taffy Apple Ice Cream

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cans evaporated milk (12 ounce) (3 cups total)
1 tablespoon molasses
4 beaten eggs
2 cups whipping cream
3 cups peeled cored, and finely chopped apple
1 teaspoon vanilla
Apple slices (optional)
Caramel ice cream topping (optional)

In a medium saucepan combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, and
molasses. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove
from heat. Slowly stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs, then
return to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat just
until bubbling; do not boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Cover and
chill.

Stir in whipping cream, chopped apple, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or
5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen
ice cream for 4 hours. Garnish with apple slices and caramel topping,
if desired.

Makes about 2 quarts (16 servings).
Razzle Dazzle Recipes

Sheldon

Dave Smith

~patches~ wrote:

> X-posted to rec.food.preserving
>
> I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
> small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since
> I've seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB
> recipe for brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a
> bottle of brandy and don't know what to do with it so I'm turning to the
> preservers and cookers to find out what to use it for. I've googled
> with no luck. Our harvest will be ending in about a month or so. From
> my garden I still have green beens, chard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers,
> and herbs none of which immediately appear to go with brandy. Local
> produce is mainly a variety of apples, tomatoes, and squashes. Are
> there any sauces I could make using brandy? I was thinking brandied
> applesauce but then thought baked apples with a brandy sauce might be
> nice. I'd like to use 1/2 the bottle for something preserved and the
> other 1/2 for cooking with. I'm drawing a blank here so would really,
> really appreciate any help. -- I should have bought beer, dagnabbit! --

If it's a decent brandy you could always drink it. It is great for flambee,
with steaks, chicken (for chicken chausseur), or Christmas pudding. Keep it
until next year and add a bit of sugar to it, fill a jar with fresh sweet
cherries and then top it up with the brandy.

pjjehg

"~patches~" wrote
> I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
> small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since I've
> seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB recipe for
> brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a bottle of brandy
> and don't know what to do with it so I'm turning to the preservers and
> cookers to find out what to use it for. I've googled with no luck. Our
> harvest will be ending in about a month or so. From my garden I still
> have green beens, chard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs none of
> which immediately appear to go with brandy. Local produce is mainly a
> variety of apples, tomatoes, and squashes. Are there any sauces I could
> make using brandy? I was thinking brandied applesauce but then thought
> baked apples with a brandy sauce might be nice. I'd like to use 1/2 the
> bottle for something preserved and the other 1/2 for cooking with. I'm
> drawing a blank here so would really, really appreciate any help. -- I
> should have bought beer, dagnabbit! --

Just stash it at the back of a cupboard and use it next year on cherries and
peaches. The stuff never goes bad, even when opened. For just general
cooking, I use it in gravies, even in the meat for tacos. For that matter,
drink it.

Pam

Nancy Young

This is easy and everyone likes it.

Brandied Carrots

1 1/4 pound fresh carrots

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup brandy or pineapple juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Peel carrots and remove ends; cut into 2 1/2 x 1/4-inch strips.
Place carrots in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2-inches.

Mix remaining ingredients; pour over carrots. Cover and cook
in 375 oven until carrots are tender, about 40 minutes.

Kathy in NZ

Christmas cake

After maki;ng your Christmas fruit cake, months in advance -- you have
already made it, haven't you? -- using a syringe, inject cake with
brandy multiple times. Leave a week and inject cake again.

It will keep almost forever.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:24:59 -0400, ~patches~
> wrote:

>X-posted to rec.food.preserving
>
>I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
>small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since
>I've seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB
>recipe for brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a
>bottle of brandy and don't know what to do with it so I'm turning to the
>preservers and cookers to find out what to use it for. I've googled
>with no luck. Our harvest will be ending in about a month or so. From
>my garden I still have green beens, chard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers,
>and herbs none of which immediately appear to go with brandy. Local
>produce is mainly a variety of apples, tomatoes, and squashes. Are
>there any sauces I could make using brandy? I was thinking brandied
>applesauce but then thought baked apples with a brandy sauce might be
>nice. I'd like to use 1/2 the bottle for something preserved and the
>other 1/2 for cooking with. I'm drawing a blank here so would really,
>really appreciate any help. -- I should have bought beer, dagnabbit! --

Mr Libido Incognito

~patches~ wrote on 24 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Are
> there any sauces I could make using brandy?

Chicken Gravy or Turkey Gravy with a little brandy added is marvelous...

Soaking dried fruit (raisins, apricots, etc) in brandy, instead of water,
to plump them up is good...for things like nut loaf quick bread recipes, or
Fruit Cakes.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
graham

"Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
> Christmas cake
>
> After maki;ng your Christmas fruit cake, months in advance -- you have
> already made it, haven't you? -- using a syringe, inject cake with
> brandy multiple times. Leave a week and inject cake again.
>
> It will keep almost forever.

I've been doing that for years since I bought a set of coarse-needled
hypodermics that were being sold by a woodworking company for injecting glue
into loose chair joints.

I sometimes use Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of plain brandy.
Graham

dwacôn

I take dried apricots and soak them in brandy until rehydrated. Makes a
great addition to any dessert.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote on 24 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Are
> > there any sauces I could make using brandy?

> Chicken Gravy or Turkey Gravy with a little brandy added is marvelous...
>
> Soaking dried fruit (raisins, apricots, etc) in brandy, instead of water,
> to plump them up is good...for things like nut loaf quick bread recipes, or
> Fruit Cakes.

I like to make brandied fruit for christmas gifts. ;-)

Take some fresh frozen mixed berries (strawberries/blueberries/raspberry
mixes can easily be found in the frozen section) and put them into a
jar. Add about 3 tbs. of sugar, then pour grain alcohol into that 'till
full. Let sit about 2 weeks (I do not refrigerate) then drain off the
grain alcohol. Set that aside for "other" recipes. The pure alcohol
dries and preserves the fruit.

Add 3 more tbs. sugar and fill the jar with brandy. Let sit for another
2 weeks, then use to top vanilla icecream, angel food or pound cake.

The now berry flavored grain alcohol can be used in mixed drinks, or
added to other baked recipes.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Ophelia

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
>> Christmas cake
>>
>> After maki;ng your Christmas fruit cake, months in advance -- you have
>> already made it, haven't you? -- using a syringe, inject cake with
>> brandy multiple times. Leave a week and inject cake again.
>>
>> It will keep almost forever.
>>

> I've been doing that for years since I bought a set of coarse-needled
> hypodermics that were being sold by a woodworking company for injecting
> glue into loose chair joints.
>
> I sometimes use Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of plain brandy.

I alway use rum

graham

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
>>> Christmas cake
>>>
>>> After maki;ng your Christmas fruit cake, months in advance -- you have
>>> already made it, haven't you? -- using a syringe, inject cake with
>>> brandy multiple times. Leave a week and inject cake again.
>>>
>>> It will keep almost forever.
>>>

>> I've been doing that for years since I bought a set of coarse-needled
>> hypodermics that were being sold by a woodworking company for injecting
>> glue into loose chair joints.
>>
>> I sometimes use Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of plain brandy.

> I alway use rum

Must be the pirate in you:-)

Graham

Ophelia

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> I've been doing that for years since I bought a set of coarse-needled
>>> hypodermics that were being sold by a woodworking company for injecting
>>> glue into loose chair joints.
>>>
>>> I sometimes use Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of plain brandy.

>> I alway use rum
>>

> Must be the pirate in you:-)

O hides her eyepatch. I dunno wot you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brandy weevr Winemaking 11 09-07-2010 12:28 PM
Distilling brandy Joel R Anderson Winemaking 29 07-01-2007 01:19 AM
Brandy Help Needed ~patches~ General Cooking 13 27-09-2005 07:39 AM
zombie - apricot brandy, or brandy liqueur? Mike General 0 17-04-2004 07:30 PM
Brandy Peter General 0 26-12-2003 09:18 PM