Denise~*

Default Huckleberry Jam?

I do know the basics of jam & jelly making, but i'm stuck.

I want to make a Hucklebertry Jam, not Jelly. All I can find is recipes
for jelly or one jam recipe that uses "bottled fruit pectin"

> HUCKLEBERRY JAM
>
> 4 1/2 c Berries

I have about 4 cups
> 1 Bottle fruit pectin

Certo?
> 7 c Sugar
> 1 Lemon
>
> Instructions
>
> 1. Wash fruit thoroughly. Crush. Add lemon juice. Add grated rind
> of 1/2 lemon. Add sugar. Mix thoroughly. Heat rapidly to full rolling
> boil. Stir constantly before and while boiling. Boil hard 2 minutes.
> Remove from fire and stir in fruit pectin. Skim.

I have a package of Certo with two 3oz pouches that expired last
September (2004). I dunno if this is something that can be used after
expiration date. I typically use what I buy and I normally get powdered
pectin like Ball Fuit Jell Pectin in the 1.75 oz packages.

If the "bottled" pectin is referring to a 3 oz Certo pouch and my Certo
can still be used, am I in business? If not, does anybody have a Jam
recipe that uses powdered pectin instead of liquid?

Can I use a Blueberry jam recipe & sub my Huckleberries? They are the
purple kind BTW. Also, I don't want some Hybrid recipe like
Huckleberry-Rhubarb Jam either. Just the real deal. TIA!
ellen wickberg

Denise~* wrote:

> I do know the basics of jam & jelly making, but i'm stuck.
>
> I want to make a Hucklebertry Jam, not Jelly. All I can find is recipes
> for jelly or one jam recipe that uses "bottled fruit pectin"
>
>> HUCKLEBERRY JAM
>>
>> 4 1/2 c Berries

> I have about 4 cups
>
>> 1 Bottle fruit pectin

> Certo?
>
>> 7 c Sugar
>> 1 Lemon
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> 1. Wash fruit thoroughly. Crush. Add lemon juice. Add grated rind
>> of 1/2 lemon. Add sugar. Mix thoroughly. Heat rapidly to full rolling
>> boil. Stir constantly before and while boiling. Boil hard 2 minutes.
>> Remove from fire and stir in fruit pectin. Skim.

> I have a package of Certo with two 3oz pouches that expired last
> September (2004). I dunno if this is something that can be used after
> expiration date. I typically use what I buy and I normally get powdered
> pectin like Ball Fuit Jell Pectin in the 1.75 oz packages.
>
> If the "bottled" pectin is referring to a 3 oz Certo pouch and my Certo
> can still be used, am I in business? If not, does anybody have a Jam
> recipe that uses powdered pectin instead of liquid?
>
> Can I use a Blueberry jam recipe & sub my Huckleberries? They are the
> purple kind BTW. Also, I don't want some Hybrid recipe like
> Huckleberry-Rhubarb Jam either. Just the real deal. TIA!

from Nancy Turner and Adam Szezawinski "Edible Wild Fruits and Nuts of
Canada" the following recipe which they say can be made with blueberry
or huckleberries.
4 cups berries, mashed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package pectin crystals
5 cups sugar
Put berries into a large saucepan. Mix in the lemon juice and pectin
crystals and place over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to a full boil. Stir in sugar, bring back to a full, rolling
boil, then boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. remove from heat,
skim off foam, stir about 5 minutes to cool slightly and ladle into
jars. (this is an old book, so talks about sealing with parafin, but of
course now use 1/4 inch headroom and 10 minute BWB ) Yield about 8 to
10 medium sized jelly glasses)
Hope this is of help
Ellen
justme (Karen)

Denise~* wrote:

> I do know the basics of jam & jelly making, but i'm stuck.
>
> I want to make a Hucklebertry Jam, not Jelly. All I can find is recipes
> for jelly or one jam recipe that uses "bottled fruit pectin"

> I have a package of Certo with two 3oz pouches that expired last
> September (2004). I dunno if this is something that can be used after
> expiration date. I typically use what I buy and I normally get powdered
> pectin like Ball Fuit Jell Pectin in the 1.75 oz packages.

Liquid pectin is good for a while after the best before date. I
inadvertantly bought a package that was a year after the best before
date and didn't notice it immediately. The jam I was making set up
fine. When I called Certo, a rep told me that as long as the pectin is
still liquid (as opposed to rubbery) a package is good for 15 months
after the best before! <amazed!>

> If the "bottled" pectin is referring to a 3 oz Certo pouch and my Certo
> can still be used, am I in business? If not, does anybody have a Jam
> recipe that uses powdered pectin instead of liquid?

The old fashioned brown bottle that you referred to is 6 fl. oz. So
the two pouches equal 1 bottle together ( or 1 pouch equals 1/2
bottle ).

Liquid and powdered Certo are not interchangable. I found this out 25
years ago the hard way! (LOL)

Karen
Denise~*

Thanks Ellen & Karen for your replies. Mucho Helpful!