Fishhead

Default Can I use my applesauce maker to make spaghetti sauce?

Can I use my applesauce maker to make spaghetti sauce?

I have an older applesauce maker, looks like a VillaWare type.
But mine is old, and only has one screen.

Will this work with my Roma Tomatoes?
Do I still need to blanch them?

I am looking to make spaghetti sauce.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Fishhead
> wrote:

> Can I use my applesauce maker to make spaghetti sauce?
>
> I have an older applesauce maker, looks like a VillaWare type.
> But mine is old, and only has one screen.
>
> Will this work with my Roma Tomatoes?
> Do I still need to blanch them?
>
> I am looking to make spaghetti sauce.

If you've got what I think you've got, go ahead. But I don't think
you've got spaghetti sauce until you add stuff to the tomato sauce
you'll wind up with. Personally, I find it much easier to use the food
strainer with cooked food, not raw. Should work fine with romas.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Fishhead

I was actually going to freeze the tomatoes as I pick them.

Then run them through the applesauce maker all at once..

Then follow my recipe in my Ball cookbook for sauce.

> If you've got what I think you've got, go ahead. But I don't think
> you've got spaghetti sauce until you add stuff to the tomato sauce
> you'll wind up with. Personally, I find it much easier to use the food
> strainer with cooked food, not raw. Should work fine with romas.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Fishhead
> wrote:

> I was actually going to freeze the tomatoes as I pick them.
>
> Then run them through the applesauce maker all at once..
>
> Then follow my recipe in my Ball cookbook for sauce.

> > If you've got what I think you've got, go ahead. But I don't think
> > you've got spaghetti sauce until you add stuff to the tomato sauce
> > you'll wind up with. Personally, I find it much easier to use the food
> > strainer with cooked food, not raw. Should work fine with romas.

OK. I misunderstood the way you worded it. If your goal is to separate
the skin from the tomato flesh, freezing the tomatoes (as you say is
your plan) will make it very easy to just slip the skins off when they
thaw. My county extension office recommended blanching before freezing
whole tomatoes but I don't know anyone who ever did--more commonly,
people freeze the tomatoes loose on a cookie sheet or shallow pan and
then transfer to plastic bags for longer freezer storage.

The structure of the frozen tomatoes breaks down when they thaw, so they
might go through the strainer just fine without prior cooking, as I'd
initially suggested. Another option might be to thaw the tomatoes and
puree them in a blender or food processor if you have that available.
Good luck any which way, though.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Fishhead
> > wrote:
>

>>Can I use my applesauce maker to make spaghetti sauce?
>>
>>I have an older applesauce maker, looks like a VillaWare type.
>>But mine is old, and only has one screen.
>>
>>Will this work with my Roma Tomatoes?
>>Do I still need to blanch them?
>>
>>I am looking to make spaghetti sauce.

> If you've got what I think you've got, go ahead. But I don't think
> you've got spaghetti sauce until you add stuff to the tomato sauce
> you'll wind up with. Personally, I find it much easier to use the food
> strainer with cooked food, not raw. Should work fine with romas.

I'm not sure what he has but I use the food mill for roasted tomato
sauce. I leave the skins on when it is roasting and I want a nice
smooth sauce in the end. The food mill works like a charm. Mine
attaches to the counter. You add the screen that is in tube form then
dump the tomato mixture into the large bowl on top. Turning the handle
forces the tomato mixture through the screen into another bowl. I do
the same thing when I want pink apple sauce. The food mill gets rid of
the peelings and seeds.

~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Fishhead
> > wrote:
>

>>I was actually going to freeze the tomatoes as I pick them.
>>
>>Then run them through the applesauce maker all at once..
>>
>>Then follow my recipe in my Ball cookbook for sauce.

>>>If you've got what I think you've got, go ahead. But I don't think
>>>you've got spaghetti sauce until you add stuff to the tomato sauce
>>>you'll wind up with. Personally, I find it much easier to use the food
>>>strainer with cooked food, not raw. Should work fine with romas.

> OK. I misunderstood the way you worded it. If your goal is to separate
> the skin from the tomato flesh, freezing the tomatoes (as you say is
> your plan) will make it very easy to just slip the skins off when they
> thaw. My county extension office recommended blanching before freezing
> whole tomatoes but I don't know anyone who ever did--more commonly,
> people freeze the tomatoes loose on a cookie sheet or shallow pan and
> then transfer to plastic bags for longer freezer storage.

I slip the skins off before freezing. DH hates tomato skins so I
appease him. It's the only thing he's rather fussy about I just dip
them in boiling water then cold water and take the skins off. Instead
of using a cookie sheet I just do them in a single layer in a ziploc and
freeze flat. I haven't had a problem breaking off what I need.

> The structure of the frozen tomatoes breaks down when they thaw, so they
> might go through the strainer just fine without prior cooking, as I'd
> initially suggested. Another option might be to thaw the tomatoes and
> puree them in a blender or food processor if you have that available.
> Good luck any which way, though.

A third option is to make the sauce then freeze or can it. I can and
freeze my sauces. I can because I simply run out of freezer space and
prefer to keep the freezer space for more expensive things like meats.
Fishhead

I ran 2 5gal buckets of roma tomatoes last night.
these were fresh from the garden, no freezing or cooking.

The food mill removed the seeds, stems and skin out one end.

The center was all juice.

It looked like 4 gallons total

I boiled it on high for 4 hours and reduced it in half.

I then put it in freezer bags, until I get more tomatoes to make more sauce.

I plan on making BBQ sauce when it is all said and done.