The Cook

Default Home Study Course

I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
information I can get.

https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Nyssa

The Cook wrote:

> I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
> on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
> information I can get.
>
> https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

But they ask for a SSN to get into the course.

No way I'm handing them that kind of information, especially
when it has nothing to do with food preservation.

Nyssa, who wonders if these folks have ever heard of identity
theft or online security
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Nyssa
> wrote:

> The Cook wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
> > on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
> > information I can get.
> >
> > https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

> But they ask for a SSN to get into the course.
>
> No way I'm handing them that kind of information, especially
> when it has nothing to do with food preservation.
>
> Nyssa, who wonders if these folks have ever heard of identity
> theft or online security

Sure they have. And they say why they need it. I'm bothered a bit,
though, by the fact that it doesn't seem to be a secure page where the
info is supplied. Believe I'll mention it to them, too. Maybe we all
should.

From
https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

Registration for
Preserving Food at Home: A Self-Study

Privacy Statement: The information you provde will be used solely to
obtain a login account for you to access this course at the University
of Georgia. All information will be kept confidential. All fields are
required. You may be contacted to verify the information before an
account is established for you.
First Name
Last Name
Mailing Address
Phone Number (in the form 111-222-3333)

Your social security number is required by The University of Georgia to
obtain access to their computer servers. Providing false data to gain
access to a UGA computer resource may be a violation of state and
federal laws. If you are unable to provide a social security number,
please contact Jimmy Hansen.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
> on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
> information I can get.

https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

Hey, go for it, Susan! I'm itching to know what it's about but haven't
gotten around to signing on.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article >, Nyssa
> wrote:
>
>> The Cook wrote:
>>
>> > I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
>> > on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
>> > information I can get.
>> >
>> > https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

>> But they ask for a SSN to get into the course.
>>
>> No way I'm handing them that kind of information, especially
>> when it has nothing to do with food preservation.
>>
>> Nyssa, who wonders if these folks have ever heard of identity
>> theft or online security

>Sure they have. And they say why they need it. I'm bothered a bit,
>though, by the fact that it doesn't seem to be a secure page where the
>info is supplied. Believe I'll mention it to them, too. Maybe we all
>should.
>
>From
>https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html
>
>Registration for
>Preserving Food at Home: A Self-Study
>
>Privacy Statement: The information you provde will be used solely to
>obtain a login account for you to access this course at the University
>of Georgia. All information will be kept confidential. All fields are
>required. You may be contacted to verify the information before an
>account is established for you.
>First Name
>Last Name
>Mailing Address
>Phone Number (in the form 111-222-3333)
>
>Your social security number is required by The University of Georgia to
>obtain access to their computer servers. Providing false data to gain
>access to a UGA computer resource may be a violation of state and
>federal laws. If you are unable to provide a social security number,
>please contact Jimmy Hansen.

It is a secure page. Https.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> From
> https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

^^^^^

https:// = Secure page. Your browser should have some kind of icon that
will tell you if it's "locked" or not.

B/
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > From
> > https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

> ^^^^^
>
> https:// = Secure page. Your browser should have some kind of icon that
> will tell you if it's "locked" or not.
>
> B/

<blush> Yeah. I posed the issue to Dr. Elizabeth Andress, Project
Director for NCHFP and she pointed that out to me, too. And my browser
(IE 5.1 on a Mac) shows "internet zone" at the bottom of the window
where I would expect to see the typical padlock indicated a secure site.
I forgot to look at the URL line for the https:// (Can I come out of
the corner now?)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >In article >, Nyssa
> > wrote:

https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

> >> But they ask for a SSN to get into the course.
> >>
> >> No way I'm handing them that kind of information, especially
> >> when it has nothing to do with food preservation.

> It is a secure page. Https.

It soitanly is. Thanks, Susan.
-Barb, wiping egg from face
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>>From
>>>https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

>> ^^^^^
>>
>>https:// = Secure page. Your browser should have some kind of icon that
>>will tell you if it's "locked" or not.
>>
>>B/

> <blush> Yeah. I posed the issue to Dr. Elizabeth Andress, Project
> Director for NCHFP and she pointed that out to me, too. And my browser
> (IE 5.1 on a Mac) shows "internet zone" at the bottom of the window
> where I would expect to see the typical padlock indicated a secure site.
> I forgot to look at the URL line for the https:// (Can I come out of
> the corner now?)

Netscape 7.1x tells me that it is a secure page with unsecured stuff on
it and therefore my information may be compromised. I'm not sure I want
to take the course if they require my SSN. I've had my identity stolen
once before, took a year to clear up our credit and get it all
straightened out and my credit card company notified me that we were
probably one of the 40,000,000 identities stolen recently by hackers.

George

Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I forgot to look at the URL line for the https:// (Can I come out of
> the corner now?)

I missed it at first glance too.

B/

The Cook

wrote:

>> I just noticed that the University of Georgia has a self-study course
>> on preserving. Think I may sign up for it and see what kind of new
>> information I can get.
>>
>> https://www.uga.edu/nchfp/exception_account.html

>Hey, go for it, Susan! I'm itching to know what it's about but haven't
>gotten around to signing on.

I will when the garden slows down. Right now we cannot keep up with
it. Yesterday my husband was busy shelling and freezing lima beans
and I (with my broken arm) canned 14 quarts of tomatoes. Looks like
more of the same today. Also need to do something with the okra. Too
much for me who loves the stuff to eat. Maybe I will do the okra and
tomato dish you put up on RFC last year.