FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Bread and Butter Pickles (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/65389-bread-butter-pickles.html)

Melba's Jammin' 16-07-2005 09:07 PM

Bread and Butter Pickles

Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
Pictures at 11:00.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Kathi Jones 17-07-2005 01:39 AM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
> Pictures at 11:00.
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

washing machine?

Kathi

Melba's Jammin' 17-07-2005 02:37 AM

In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
> > Pictures at 11:00.
> > --
> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

> washing machine?
>
> Kathi

Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

And I've got six pints in the BWB as we speak. About to come out
inezzackly 52 seconds, then I'm going across the street to visit The
Widow Dorothy and have a can of TaB at her house.

Munchkin comes tomorrow and will be here for a couple days. Gotta find
a water park for us. Hotter'n Hades today -- and me canning pickles.
Mom always used to say that you have to can when the vegetables and
fruit are ready, not when YOU are. Wise woman.
-B
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Wayne Boatwright 17-07-2005 06:25 AM

On Sat 16 Jul 2005 06:37:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
>> > Pictures at 11:00.
>> > --
>> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

>> washing machine?
>>
>> Kathi

> Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
> bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

Top or front loader?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/16/2005 10:20:51 PM

Wayne Boatwright 17-07-2005 06:26 AM

On Sat 16 Jul 2005 06:37:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
>> > Pictures at 11:00.
>> > --
>> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

>> washing machine?
>>
>> Kathi

> Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
> bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

Oh, forgot... For crisp pickles, do *not* add softener! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/16/2005 10:22:21 PM

Brian Mailman 17-07-2005 06:13 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Cucumbers are in the washing machine as we speak.
>> > Pictures at 11:00.

>> washing machine?

> Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
> bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

Washing machines are quite useful.

I remember reading about one fellow who rigged one up to knead dough for
the breads he served at his (newly-opened) restaurant in the early
'70s... and in a cookbook I have called "SPAM AROUND THE WORLD," there's
a Micronesian recipe for Octopus and Spam that calls for putting the
octopus--properly dispatched by that time, I imagine--inside the machine
and running it dry to tenderize the critter.

B/

Kathi Jones 17-07-2005 08:40 PM

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> > > wrote:

> >> washing machine?

> > Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
> > bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

> Washing machines are quite useful.
>
> I remember reading about one fellow who rigged one up to knead dough for
> the breads he served at his (newly-opened) restaurant in the early
> '70s... and in a cookbook I have called "SPAM AROUND THE WORLD," there's
> a Micronesian recipe for Octopus and Spam that calls for putting the
> octopus--properly dispatched by that time, I imagine--inside the machine
> and running it dry to tenderize the critter.
>
> B/

my 11 year old daughter would say 'eeewww'.....there are no spelling
suggestions for the vocals I just made - 'yuck' will have to do....

Octopus and Spam???

people will eat anything........

Kathi

Brian Mailman 19-07-2005 12:10 AM

Kathi Jones wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > In article >, "Kathi Jones"

>> > Yes, ma'am. Cold rinse, gentle cycle, with a couple towels. Gets those
>> > bad boys clean without any appreciable effort on my part.

>> Washing machines are quite useful.
>>
>> I remember reading about one fellow who rigged one up to knead dough for
>> the breads he served at his (newly-opened) restaurant in the early
>> '70s... and in a cookbook I have called "SPAM AROUND THE WORLD," there's
>> a Micronesian recipe for Octopus and Spam that calls for putting the
>> octopus--properly dispatched by that time, I imagine--inside the machine
>> and running it dry to tenderize the critter.

> my 11 year old daughter would say 'eeewww'.....there are no spelling
> suggestions for the vocals I just made - 'yuck' will have to do....

As an aunt said to me many years ago when I was young and dinosaurs
still roamed the earth--when she lifted the lid on a pot of chicken foot
stew and I got a good look of all those feet standing there two by two
and no chicken on top--"We don't say 'yuck' to food people have made for
us."

> Octopus and Spam???
>
> people will eat anything......

Well, especially if it's in the culture...the Chinese couldn't believe
we would eat rotting milk.

B/