Puester

Default New pectin

Has anyone else tried the new pectin (Ball, I think) that makes freezer
jam without boiling the pectin first? I made batches of strawberry and
apricot jams with it. Have not opened the apricot, but the strawberry
is disappointing in both flavor and texture. The smaller amount of
sugar called for is really noticeable in the flavor. The texture
difference is harder to explain.

gloria p
The Joneses

Puester wrote:

> Has anyone else tried the new pectin (Ball, I think) that makes freezer
> jam without boiling the pectin first? I made batches of strawberry and
> apricot jams with it. Have not opened the apricot, but the strawberry
> is disappointing in both flavor and texture. The smaller amount of
> sugar called for is really noticeable in the flavor. The texture
> difference is harder to explain.
>
> gloria p

My neighbor gave me a jar of freezer strawberry jam he made. I appreciate
the lack of sugar, but the texture is, er, slimy-er? More jello-er. And the
color was not the sparkle of the full sugar, regular pectin recipe, but not
too bad overall. Not something I would like to do.
Edrena

Pectin TBI Preserving 27 10-05-2008 10:08 AM
Pectin brands George Shirley Preserving 6 04-10-2007 03:11 AM
What is pectin made of? Kathleen Turner Preserving 4 16-08-2007 02:59 PM
Making your own pectin OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 0 16-10-2006 07:11 AM
Does pectin go bad? Will Wagner Preserving 3 15-12-2005 09:49 PM