FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   My First Louisiana Garden - Oh Dear - It All Grew! (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/62779-my-first-louisiana-garden.html)

Loki 13-06-2005 09:08 PM

My First Louisiana Garden - Oh Dear - It All Grew!

Ok, what do I do now?????? I swear, down here, you put it in the
ground and it grows and grows and grows...

I now have zucchini daily (and am picking it tiny, breading and frying
it and having it with lemon), got 10 cukes today of varying sizes and
the tomatoes are not far behind.

I got a late start. <sigh> I don't have any peppers yet but they are
blooming, the melons are blooming and the eggplants are as well.
Didn't get any green beans in, alas. Can I still plant those and just
have a late crop?

I didn't HAVE a garden in time to plant when I should have so I've got
the hot weather stuff producing and am starting to think about
planting for fall harvest soon.

This zone 8 thing is all new to me! I'm going to have enough stuff to
put up for an army.

So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen? I know
I preserve it but what recipes are favorites for zukes, cukes and
tomatoes????? I'd prefer to start with the fairly safe ones as I've
not canned nor pickled for years and years and... Oh, I can't be
that old!

Loki

zxcvbob 13-06-2005 09:14 PM

Loki wrote:

> Ok, what do I do now?????? I swear, down here, you put it in the
> ground and it grows and grows and grows...
>
> I now have zucchini daily (and am picking it tiny, breading and frying
> it and having it with lemon), got 10 cukes today of varying sizes and
> the tomatoes are not far behind.
>
> I got a late start. <sigh> I don't have any peppers yet but they are
> blooming, the melons are blooming and the eggplants are as well.
> Didn't get any green beans in, alas. Can I still plant those and just
> have a late crop?
>
> I didn't HAVE a garden in time to plant when I should have so I've got
> the hot weather stuff producing and am starting to think about
> planting for fall harvest soon.
>
> This zone 8 thing is all new to me! I'm going to have enough stuff to
> put up for an army.
>
> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen? I know
> I preserve it but what recipes are favorites for zukes, cukes and
> tomatoes????? I'd prefer to start with the fairly safe ones as I've
> not canned nor pickled for years and years and... Oh, I can't be
> that old!
>
> Loki

You can almost plant green beans year-round. (OK, in the winter you'd
have to plant peas instead of beans)

It's not too late to plant them now, or you can wait until August or
early September, after the borers kill your zukes, and plant the beans
where the zukes were for a fall crop.

Best regards,
Bob

William R. Watt 13-06-2005 10:15 PM

Loki ) writes:

> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen?

One way to delay the problem for a few months is to get some livestock and
feed them on the surplus. The livestock will turn the bounty into
meat, maybe milk, and fertilizer. Well, maybe you are not too interested in
fertilizer. Milk can be further preserved my making cheese, putting off
consumption by a year. Meat can be frozen, dried, smoked, etc. Never do
today what you can put off until tomorrow.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

George Shirley 13-06-2005 10:46 PM

Loki wrote:
> Ok, what do I do now?????? I swear, down here, you put it in the
> ground and it grows and grows and grows...
>
> I now have zucchini daily (and am picking it tiny, breading and frying
> it and having it with lemon), got 10 cukes today of varying sizes and
> the tomatoes are not far behind.

Zukes can be pickled in slices and can be made into a tasty relish. Run
over to Walmart and get the latest version of the Ball Blue Book. I've
even succesfully frozen zuke slices in vac bags and then added them to
stews and soups, same with eggplant slices. Moussaka freezes well too.

> I got a late start. <sigh> I don't have any peppers yet but they are
> blooming, the melons are blooming and the eggplants are as well.
> Didn't get any green beans in, alas. Can I still plant those and just
> have a late crop?

I think you're probably in zone 8, maybe 7. You can go to the USDA
website and put in your zip code and it will tell you. You're in Monroe
area right?

> I didn't HAVE a garden in time to plant when I should have so I've got
> the hot weather stuff producing and am starting to think about
> planting for fall harvest soon.

I plant a second crop of green beans in August to carry through the mild
part of the winter down south of you.

> This zone 8 thing is all new to me! I'm going to have enough stuff to
> put up for an army.

Food bank, needy neighbors, Doc Charlie's patients, lots of people like
fresh produce.

> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen? I know
> I preserve it but what recipes are favorites for zukes, cukes and
> tomatoes????? I'd prefer to start with the fairly safe ones as I've
> not canned nor pickled for years and years and... Oh, I can't be
> that old!
>
> Loki

Ask some specifics Loki and this group will help you. Also a book
"Putting Food By" is good but I like the Ball Blue Book better myself.
If you have a Big Lots nearby they sell fruit jars and lids at cheaper
prices than any others I've found except for thrift stores and garage
sales. Hang in there, either the bugs will get their share or the
critters in the urban environment or the woods will get some of it.
We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
before the squirrels do.

Glad to hear you've settled into north Louisiana though.

George

Loki 14-06-2005 12:07 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:46:14 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Zukes can be pickled in slices and can be made into a tasty relish. Run
>over to Walmart and get the latest version of the Ball Blue Book. I've
>even succesfully frozen zuke slices in vac bags and then added them to
>stews and soups, same with eggplant slices. Moussaka freezes well too.

And since my charming new (hey, it's not quite a year yet) husband is
of Greek extraction that would be most appropriate. I even have his
mother's recipe. <grin> Ok, so I have her personal three volume
family cookbook. Yes, three volumes of family recipes. Yikes! Talk
about intimidating a new bride...

>I think you're probably in zone 8, maybe 7. You can go to the USDA
>website and put in your zip code and it will tell you. You're in Monroe
>area right?

Yep, zone 8. I did check. I don't find the local extension office a
lot of help, I must admit. I'm out in the boonies and not a farmer.
LOL.

>I plant a second crop of green beans in August to carry through the mild
>part of the winter down south of you.

Good. I will probably go put in a row or three this week then. I'm
accustomed to gardening in the intensive manner but the guy who did
the garden for me (disabilities suck) did it the old way with long,
raised rows. I have a two acre lot so space is not a problem for the
first time in my life and my usual method of vertical gardening does
not seem to be necessary. Well, not this year anyway.

>Food bank, needy neighbors, Doc Charlie's patients, lots of people like
>fresh produce.

Yeah, I could show up at the ER with food. LOL. He's not in private
practice these days so I'm a little limited but generally food in the
ER is greeted cheerfully. That *is* an option. The neighbors are all
trying to dump food on me...

I do think I'll go see if we have a local food bank that will take
extra produce though. Heck, if we do, I'll plant more for them!

>Ask some specifics Loki and this group will help you. Also a book
>"Putting Food By" is good but I like the Ball Blue Book better myself.
>If you have a Big Lots nearby they sell fruit jars and lids at cheaper
>prices than any others I've found except for thrift stores and garage
>sales. Hang in there, either the bugs will get their share or the
>critters in the urban environment or the woods will get some of it.
>We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
>before the squirrels do.

I am losing my tomatoes to them, I know. I got the first cherry
tomato today before they found it! Well, probably not THE first, but
the first one *I* saw.

I grabbed your sweet pickle recipe. I'm going to try that later in
the week when those little cukes that were *everywhere* today are a
bit bigger. I've got a bunch of jars from last year when I didn't
manage to get the garden in but my loving husband wanted to be sure I
had enough jars for the produce I hadn't grown yet. <grin> I will
check out Big Lots though. We have one in Monroe. I know I'm going
to run out of quart jars. I didn't plan on needing a lot of those.

Is this blue book different from the one last year? I have that one.
It's just been sooooooo long since I even did jelly that I feel like a
newbie at it. I don't have any family recipes at all and am wondering
which ones folks here like best that are in the ball blue book? There
are a lot and I don't know where to start!

I know I want to do sweet pickles. Chuck does not like dill pickles
(or pickles at all) so I will limit my pickles to just the sweet ones.
What else do folks do with cukes?

I make them up with onions in a vinegar, water, sugar mix and eat
those every day with cheese and bread for lunch. I also do a Thai
stir fry with cukes, tomatoes and scallions (and some beef) that is
wonderful and I can eat every day too. But, Chuck is home a few days
a week so I need more ideas.

I want to do tomato sauce, tomato paste (if that's possible), tomato
juice (not much, but I use it in marinades so some), crushed tomatoes,
diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, spaghetti sauce (will freeze that),
and whatever else folks here recommend. I didn't get my Principe
borghese tomatoes in this year so I won't do sun dried tomatoes but
next year I plan to. Well, oven dried, I think it's too humid here to
let the sun do the work.

I suppose I'll make this a trial year for a lot of things.

Oh, and the HUGE fig tree is loaded as is the neighbor's that hangs
over our fence. Those will be ripe soon so fig jam/preserves/whatever
but what else?

>Glad to hear you've settled into north Louisiana though.

Well, sorta. See, there is this lack of animal control (complete
lack) and this excess of stray dogs and well, I can't stand to see a
stray hungry or sick or anything so we now have 8 dogs and adding
more. I'm the new Humane Society down here. We currently have 2 labs
(one black, one cream), one golden retriever, and one tiny spaniel up
for adoption. There rest are my own dogs.

Poor Chuck is a cat person. He *must* love me.

No, settled does not describe my life. <laugh>

Loki

Loki 14-06-2005 12:08 AM

On 13 Jun 2005 21:15:26 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

>Loki ) writes:
>
>> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen?

>One way to delay the problem for a few months is to get some livestock and
>feed them on the surplus. The livestock will turn the bounty into
>meat, maybe milk, and fertilizer. Well, maybe you are not too interested in
>fertilizer. Milk can be further preserved my making cheese, putting off
>consumption by a year. Meat can be frozen, dried, smoked, etc. Never do
>today what you can put off until tomorrow.

Oh dear. I almost got chickens this spring. Chuck talked me out of
it.

And while I *could* keep livestock despite living within city limits,
I really don't have room once I make room for all the dogs...

Loki

Loki 14-06-2005 12:10 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:14:25 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>You can almost plant green beans year-round. (OK, in the winter you'd
>have to plant peas instead of beans)
>
>It's not too late to plant them now, or you can wait until August or
>early September, after the borers kill your zukes, and plant the beans
>where the zukes were for a fall crop.

Or both. Yeah, I like both. And peas. Yep, that's a plan.

Territorial Seeds winter catalog showed up this week. They have some
long maturing types that should give me a harvest all winter long of
things like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc. Should be
interesting.

I can just see me canning all winter long.

Loki

The Joneses 14-06-2005 01:06 AM

Loki wrote:

> Oh, and the HUGE fig tree is loaded as is the neighbor's that hangs
> over our fence. Those will be ripe soon so fig jam/preserves/whatever
> but what else?

I thought Pickled Figs were way too sweet, too mushy, and a general waste of
boiling water.

> >Glad to hear you've settled into north Louisiana though.

Ditto. I'm here in zone 7 myself, we're about the same latitude but I'm 4,000
feet up. I do well planting my dill in February and freezing fronds & tops
till the cukes on the farms are available.Plant a bay leaf tree if you can. I
have a crafter that buys my excess branches. A leaf in your shoe is supposed
to draw money to you!

> Well, sorta. See, there is this lack of animal control (complete
> lack) and this excess of stray dogs and well, I can't stand to see a
> stray hungry or sick or anything so we now have 8 dogs and adding
> more. I'm the new Humane Society down here. We currently have 2 labs
> (one black, one cream), one golden retriever, and one tiny spaniel up
> for adoption. There rest are my own dogs.
> Poor Chuck is a cat person. He *must* love me.
> No, settled does not describe my life. <laugh>
> Loki

Goddess bless all of you. But be careful y'all don't get overrun!
Edrena, cat mama

Brian Mailman 14-06-2005 01:37 AM

Loki wrote:

> And since my charming new (hey, it's not quite a year yet) husband is
> of Greek extraction that would be most appropriate. I even have his
> mother's recipe. <grin> Ok, so I have her personal three volume
> family cookbook. Yes, three volumes of family recipes. Yikes! Talk
> about intimidating a new bride...

Just look at the pages that are most stained/crinkled first.... those
are the favorite recipes.

B/

George Shirley 14-06-2005 02:51 AM

Loki wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:46:14 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Zukes can be pickled in slices and can be made into a tasty relish. Run
>>over to Walmart and get the latest version of the Ball Blue Book. I've
>>even succesfully frozen zuke slices in vac bags and then added them to
>>stews and soups, same with eggplant slices. Moussaka freezes well too.

> And since my charming new (hey, it's not quite a year yet) husband is
> of Greek extraction that would be most appropriate. I even have his
> mother's recipe. <grin> Ok, so I have her personal three volume
> family cookbook. Yes, three volumes of family recipes. Yikes! Talk
> about intimidating a new bride...

I defrosted the freezer yesterday and ran upon four of the eleven
moussaka I put up in 2003. I make them up in throwaway aluminum pans and
then vacuum seal them. Thaw completely, whip up the necessary egg stuff,
then make the bechamel sauce to go on top and toss in the oven until
done. No family recipes but a neat little paperback I bought in Athens
in 1985 for about one US dollar, title is "A Bunch of Greek Recipes."

>>I think you're probably in zone 8, maybe 7. You can go to the USDA
>>website and put in your zip code and it will tell you. You're in Monroe
>>area right?

> Yep, zone 8. I did check. I don't find the local extension office a
> lot of help, I must admit. I'm out in the boonies and not a farmer.
> LOL.
>

>>I plant a second crop of green beans in August to carry through the mild
>>part of the winter down south of you.

> Good. I will probably go put in a row or three this week then. I'm
> accustomed to gardening in the intensive manner but the guy who did
> the garden for me (disabilities suck) did it the old way with long,
> raised rows. I have a two acre lot so space is not a problem for the
> first time in my life and my usual method of vertical gardening does
> not seem to be necessary. Well, not this year anyway.

Wow, 2 acres, you could plant fruit trees, they do well in your area,
grapes or muscadines, kiwi, lots of stuff that doesn't require a lot of
work but provides outstanding foods for later use.

>>Food bank, needy neighbors, Doc Charlie's patients, lots of people like
>>fresh produce.

> Yeah, I could show up at the ER with food. LOL. He's not in private
> practice these days so I'm a little limited but generally food in the
> ER is greeted cheerfully. That *is* an option. The neighbors are all
> trying to dump food on me...

Since most of the folks, at least around here, that use the ER are the
poor ones who can't afford doctors they probably would appreciate some
free food.

> I do think I'll go see if we have a local food bank that will take
> extra produce though. Heck, if we do, I'll plant more for them!

A number of folk on this newsgroup and many on rec.gardens do just that.

>>Ask some specifics Loki and this group will help you. Also a book
>>"Putting Food By" is good but I like the Ball Blue Book better myself.
>>If you have a Big Lots nearby they sell fruit jars and lids at cheaper
>>prices than any others I've found except for thrift stores and garage
>>sales. Hang in there, either the bugs will get their share or the
>>critters in the urban environment or the woods will get some of it.
>>We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
>>before the squirrels do.

> I am losing my tomatoes to them, I know. I got the first cherry
> tomato today before they found it! Well, probably not THE first, but
> the first one *I* saw.
>
> I grabbed your sweet pickle recipe. I'm going to try that later in
> the week when those little cukes that were *everywhere* today are a
> bit bigger. I've got a bunch of jars from last year when I didn't
> manage to get the garden in but my loving husband wanted to be sure I
> had enough jars for the produce I hadn't grown yet. <grin> I will
> check out Big Lots though. We have one in Monroe. I know I'm going
> to run out of quart jars. I didn't plan on needing a lot of those.
>
> Is this blue book different from the one last year? I have that one.
> It's just been sooooooo long since I even did jelly that I feel like a
> newbie at it. I don't have any family recipes at all and am wondering
> which ones folks here like best that are in the ball blue book? There
> are a lot and I don't know where to start!

Nope, you probably got the latest version, I think the latest is
copywrite date of 2003, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

> I know I want to do sweet pickles. Chuck does not like dill pickles
> (or pickles at all) so I will limit my pickles to just the sweet ones.
> What else do folks do with cukes?

I make a lot of sweet pickle relish straight from the BBB, lots of onion
and bell pepper in it, sorta looks like a jar of confetti. Our
descendants, kids, grands, and greatgrands, all love hot dogs with
pickle relish. Wife makes a lot of cold soup in the hot summer, big
batch of gazpacho made today, cukes, onions, and tomatoes from the
garden. One of the teachers at her school is retiring and a lot of them
are showing up to help her clean her classroom out tomorrow. Guess
what's for lunch?

> I make them up with onions in a vinegar, water, sugar mix and eat
> those every day with cheese and bread for lunch. I also do a Thai
> stir fry with cukes, tomatoes and scallions (and some beef) that is
> wonderful and I can eat every day too. But, Chuck is home a few days
> a week so I need more ideas.

We like them done that way too, I toss in a couple cracked pepper corns
to add more flavor. Around the south that's known as a "fresh" pickle,
my old dad really loved that one.

> I want to do tomato sauce, tomato paste (if that's possible), tomato
> juice (not much, but I use it in marinades so some), crushed tomatoes,
> diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, spaghetti sauce (will freeze that),
> and whatever else folks here recommend. I didn't get my Principe
> borghese tomatoes in this year so I won't do sun dried tomatoes but
> next year I plan to. Well, oven dried, I think it's too humid here to
> let the sun do the work.

I've never tried to make tomato paste but made a bunch of "sun dried"
tomatoes one year in my dehydrator. Vac sealed them in quart jars, put
in the pantry, and took out as needed and resealed. Lasted about two
years IIRC.

> I suppose I'll make this a trial year for a lot of things.
>
> Oh, and the HUGE fig tree is loaded as is the neighbor's that hangs
> over our fence. Those will be ripe soon so fig jam/preserves/whatever
> but what else?

Fig wine ain't bad, got a Cajun friend makes a mess of that every year.
My whole family loves the jam/preserves, etc so much that they run
through a couple cases of pints every year from our tree.

>>Glad to hear you've settled into north Louisiana though.

> Well, sorta. See, there is this lack of animal control (complete
> lack) and this excess of stray dogs and well, I can't stand to see a
> stray hungry or sick or anything so we now have 8 dogs and adding
> more. I'm the new Humane Society down here. We currently have 2 labs
> (one black, one cream), one golden retriever, and one tiny spaniel up
> for adoption. There rest are my own dogs.

Don't feel bad, we have a leash law that applies to dogs and cats,
certain people in the community don't think it applies to their pets
though. Fellow across the street is one of them, he currently has 10
days to pay the fine for failing to leash his dog or they will put him
in jail with the dog. I think this is the third time they've taken dogs
away from him since he moved into the neighborhood about ten years ago.
Like you I have difficulties with folks who don't care about their
companion pets. Mine is a nine year old Rat Terrier who thinks she's the
alpha female around here and keeps rounding up the little grands and
greatgrands and makes them come in the house.

> Poor Chuck is a cat person. He *must* love me.
>
> No, settled does not describe my life. <laugh>
>
> Loki

Hey, I've been with the same woman since June 1958, drug her all around
the world, lived in places genteel folks wouldn't live in at all and
she's stuck to me for all these years and keeps on smiling. If there's
someone for this old oilfield hand there's someone for everyone.

George

George Shirley 14-06-2005 02:55 AM

The Joneses wrote:

> Loki wrote:
>

>>Oh, and the HUGE fig tree is loaded as is the neighbor's that hangs
>>over our fence. Those will be ripe soon so fig jam/preserves/whatever
>>but what else?
>>

> I thought Pickled Figs were way too sweet, too mushy, and a general waste of
> boiling water.
>

>>>Glad to hear you've settled into north Louisiana though.

> Ditto. I'm here in zone 7 myself, we're about the same latitude but I'm 4,000
> feet up. I do well planting my dill in February and freezing fronds & tops
> till the cukes on the farms are available.Plant a bay leaf tree if you can. I
> have a crafter that buys my excess branches. A leaf in your shoe is supposed
> to draw money to you!

You would like it down here on the coast Edrena, I live at 27 feet above
sea level but bay trees grow wild in the area. What the local folk call
"bay galls" or "bay mottes" are just huge stands of bay trees. Reminds
me I need to plant my bay tree, it's been in a 15 gallon bucket for so
many years it's completely root bound.

>>Well, sorta. See, there is this lack of animal control (complete
>>lack) and this excess of stray dogs and well, I can't stand to see a
>>stray hungry or sick or anything so we now have 8 dogs and adding
>>more. I'm the new Humane Society down here. We currently have 2 labs
>>(one black, one cream), one golden retriever, and one tiny spaniel up
>>for adoption. There rest are my own dogs.
>>Poor Chuck is a cat person. He *must* love me.
>>No, settled does not describe my life. <laugh>
>>Loki

> Goddess bless all of you. But be careful y'all don't get overrun!
> Edrena, cat mama

George

Garrett Fulton 14-06-2005 04:33 AM

"Loki" > wrote in message
> On 13 Jun 2005 21:15:26 GMT, (William R.
> Watt) wrote:
>

> >Loki ) writes:
> >
> >> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen?

> >One way to delay the problem for a few months is to get some livestock

and
> >feed them on the surplus. The livestock will turn the bounty into
> >meat, maybe milk, and fertilizer. Well, maybe you are not too interested

in
> >fertilizer. Milk can be further preserved my making cheese, putting off
> >consumption by a year. Meat can be frozen, dried, smoked, etc. Never do
> >today what you can put off until tomorrow.

> Oh dear. I almost got chickens this spring. Chuck talked me out of
> it.
>
> And while I *could* keep livestock despite living within city limits,
> I really don't have room once I make room for all the dogs...
>
> Loki

Don't listen to Chuck. Get the chickens. They're hardly any trouble if you
keep the predators fenced away from them. They don't say much, keep to
themselves, and will give you eggs that are way better than the local
grocery. You're in La. They'll eat your crawfish heads, too. Just my .02.

Garrett Fulton

Loki 14-06-2005 10:21 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:33:57 -0400, "Garrett Fulton"
> wrote:
>
>Don't listen to Chuck. Get the chickens. They're hardly any trouble if you
>keep the predators fenced away from them. They don't say much, keep to
>themselves, and will give you eggs that are way better than the local
>grocery. You're in La. They'll eat your crawfish heads, too. Just my .02.

Well, maybe next year.

The problem right now is keeping the 8 dogs inside their fenced area
(the size of a normal home lot). They are escape artists and the four
smallest ones all seem to find ways out almost daily. Four smallest
defined as two in the 15-20 lb range and two weighing in at 30 pounds
each.

Once I get that take care of, I still have to deal with the neighbor
dogs. We have a leash law, it's just not enforced. Heck, even seeing
a collar on a dog is about a 50-50 shot.

Then there are the cats. What chance do the chickens have?

Loki - who would love to have fresh eggs

Loki 14-06-2005 10:24 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:06:29 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>I thought Pickled Figs were way too sweet, too mushy, and a general waste of
>boiling water.

The *idea* of pickled figs scares me.

>Ditto. I'm here in zone 7 myself, we're about the same latitude but I'm 4,000
>feet up. I do well planting my dill in February and freezing fronds & tops
>till the cukes on the farms are available.Plant a bay leaf tree if you can. I
>have a crafter that buys my excess branches. A leaf in your shoe is supposed
>to draw money to you!

Where are you? I'd not thought of when to plant the dill or how to
hold it! That's a great idea and thanks for it.

And a bay tree! Wow, I'd LOVE one. Now, what is a good source for
one larger than a 4 inch pot? I'd not heard the leaf in the shoe
either and I'm generally up on such things. Thanks for that as well.

>Goddess bless all of you. But be careful y'all don't get overrun!
>Edrena, cat mama

<smile> She has blessed me in abundance. But then, I make sure I
honor her regularly. <grin>

Loki

Loki 14-06-2005 10:25 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:55:50 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>You would like it down here on the coast Edrena, I live at 27 feet above
>sea level but bay trees grow wild in the area. What the local folk call
>"bay galls" or "bay mottes" are just huge stands of bay trees. Reminds
>me I need to plant my bay tree, it's been in a 15 gallon bucket for so
>many years it's completely root bound.

Ok, where do I find such trees??????

Loki - who just *has* to have one or more now!

Loki 14-06-2005 10:26 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:37:29 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Just look at the pages that are most stained/crinkled first.... those
>are the favorite recipes.

Wish I could, but I have a techie mother-in-law. She has it all on
her computer and prints it out for each new addition to the family.

The good news is that a couple of my recipes have found their way in
there!

Loki

Loki 14-06-2005 10:37 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:51:25 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:
>
>I defrosted the freezer yesterday and ran upon four of the eleven
>moussaka I put up in 2003. I make them up in throwaway aluminum pans and
>then vacuum seal them. Thaw completely, whip up the necessary egg stuff,
>then make the bechamel sauce to go on top and toss in the oven until
>done. No family recipes but a neat little paperback I bought in Athens
>in 1985 for about one US dollar, title is "A Bunch of Greek Recipes."

Sounds like a good source to me. I'll remember about not doing the
bechamel till I get ready to bake it. I would not have thought of
that! Uh, necessary egg stuff???? I need to go consult the cookbook
now... 'Course, I've never actually made moussaka before...

>Wow, 2 acres, you could plant fruit trees, they do well in your area,
>grapes or muscadines, kiwi, lots of stuff that doesn't require a lot of
>work but provides outstanding foods for later use.

Well, while I'd like to say that my doctor husband is a rich doctor
husband, we just live in a rural area where land is cheap - way cheap.
LOL.

I do want to put in some fruit trees. We have a nice spot at the
north end of our lot where they would do well. It's also where I have
the veggie garden though so I'd have to think it through a bit so as
not to add more shade to our place. I have very little sunny area as
it is.

This place was built back in the 1930's and is awash in mature white
oaks and pecans. I think the pecans are about done though - they seem
to not be doing well at all with a lot of old limbs falling and such.
How long do those trees live anyway?

>Since most of the folks, at least around here, that use the ER are the
>poor ones who can't afford doctors they probably would appreciate some
>free food.

Good point. Same here.

>A number of folk on this newsgroup and many on rec.gardens do just that.

I'll be on the phone later today (when normal, non-post west nile
folks are up and about) and see if I can find said food bank then!

>I make a lot of sweet pickle relish straight from the BBB, lots of onion
>and bell pepper in it, sorta looks like a jar of confetti. Our
>descendants, kids, grands, and greatgrands, all love hot dogs with
>pickle relish. Wife makes a lot of cold soup in the hot summer, big
>batch of gazpacho made today, cukes, onions, and tomatoes from the
>garden. One of the teachers at her school is retiring and a lot of them
>are showing up to help her clean her classroom out tomorrow. Guess
>what's for lunch?

That does sound wonderful.

I have a honeydew, cantaloupe and bunchofotherstuff recipe I got on
foodnetwork.com that emeril did. It's fantastic and will use up
melons when they start coming on. I didn't get any honeydew planted
though so that might be difficult to find. Have not seen any down
here at all - not even last summer.

>We like them done that way too, I toss in a couple cracked pepper corns
>to add more flavor. Around the south that's known as a "fresh" pickle,
>my old dad really loved that one.

I grew up with them as well but just called them cucumbers and onions.
It's a staple along with green beans cooked with new potatoes and ham,
fresh sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob and other fresh from the garden
stuff. It's my favorite summer meal.

>I've never tried to make tomato paste but made a bunch of "sun dried"
>tomatoes one year in my dehydrator. Vac sealed them in quart jars, put
>in the pantry, and took out as needed and resealed. Lasted about two
>years IIRC.

Interesting. Two years ago when I had to leave early, Chuck was left
with my planted garden and no idea what to do with the produce. He
did dry some tomatoes but vac packed them and froze them. That didn't
work too well. I would not have thought of doing them in jars though.

Any variety of tomato that works best? I have several planted/

>Fig wine ain't bad, got a Cajun friend makes a mess of that every year.
>My whole family loves the jam/preserves, etc so much that they run
>through a couple cases of pints every year from our tree.

Interesting. We may have to try that but I think I'll leave that up
to Chuck.

>Don't feel bad, we have a leash law that applies to dogs and cats,
>certain people in the community don't think it applies to their pets
>though. Fellow across the street is one of them, he currently has 10
>days to pay the fine for failing to leash his dog or they will put him
>in jail with the dog. I think this is the third time they've taken dogs
>away from him since he moved into the neighborhood about ten years ago.
>Like you I have difficulties with folks who don't care about their
>companion pets. Mine is a nine year old Rat Terrier who thinks she's the
>alpha female around here and keeps rounding up the little grands and
>greatgrands and makes them come in the house.

It's just so sad. With no animal control at all, people also dump
their dogs on a routine basis. That's how I picked up my little
spaniel. She's about 8 months old, came into season, probably got
bred, picked up mange and they just dropped her off in a secluded
spot. Luckily I drove past and saw her looking lost and terrified.
She cleaned up real good and is being spayed tomorrow. She is a dear
and needs to be someone's baby.

>Hey, I've been with the same woman since June 1958, drug her all around
>the world, lived in places genteel folks wouldn't live in at all and
>she's stuck to me for all these years and keeps on smiling. If there's
>someone for this old oilfield hand there's someone for everyone.

Well, I figure I got lucky. He's pretty special.

Loki

George Shirley 14-06-2005 12:55 PM

Garrett Fulton wrote:

> "Loki" > wrote in message
>
>>On 13 Jun 2005 21:15:26 GMT, (William R.
>>Watt) wrote:

>>>One way to delay the problem for a few months is to get some livestock

> and
>
>>>feed them on the surplus. The livestock will turn the bounty into
>>>meat, maybe milk, and fertilizer. Well, maybe you are not too interested

> in
>
>>>fertilizer. Milk can be further preserved my making cheese, putting off
>>>consumption by a year. Meat can be frozen, dried, smoked, etc. Never do
>>>today what you can put off until tomorrow.

>>Oh dear. I almost got chickens this spring. Chuck talked me out of
>>it.
>>
>>And while I *could* keep livestock despite living within city limits,
>>I really don't have room once I make room for all the dogs...
>>
>>Loki
>>

> Don't listen to Chuck. Get the chickens. They're hardly any trouble if you
> keep the predators fenced away from them. They don't say much, keep to
> themselves, and will give you eggs that are way better than the local
> grocery. You're in La. They'll eat your crawfish heads, too. Just my .02.
>
> Garrett Fulton

Man, she lives in NORTH Louisiana, crawfish are bait up there. <BSEG>

George

George Shirley 14-06-2005 12:58 PM

Loki wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:55:50 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>You would like it down here on the coast Edrena, I live at 27 feet above
>>sea level but bay trees grow wild in the area. What the local folk call
>>"bay galls" or "bay mottes" are just huge stands of bay trees. Reminds
>>me I need to plant my bay tree, it's been in a 15 gallon bucket for so
>>many years it's completely root bound.

> Ok, where do I find such trees??????
>
> Loki - who just *has* to have one or more now!

Most of the local nurseries carry the baby ones but Dever Nursery, on
Houston River Road in Sulphur carries the four footers. That's where I
got mine. If Chuck ever comes back down this way let me know and I'll
pick one up for you. Label on the pot says "Noble Bay" instead of "Bay
Laurel." I bet there's wild ones up there, start pinching leaves and
smelling them. B-)

George

George Shirley 14-06-2005 01:12 PM

Loki wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:51:25 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>I defrosted the freezer yesterday and ran upon four of the eleven
>>moussaka I put up in 2003. I make them up in throwaway aluminum pans and
>>then vacuum seal them. Thaw completely, whip up the necessary egg stuff,
>>then make the bechamel sauce to go on top and toss in the oven until
>>done. No family recipes but a neat little paperback I bought in Athens
>>in 1985 for about one US dollar, title is "A Bunch of Greek Recipes."

> Sounds like a good source to me. I'll remember about not doing the
> bechamel till I get ready to bake it. I would not have thought of
> that! Uh, necessary egg stuff???? I need to go consult the cookbook
> now... 'Course, I've never actually made moussaka before...
>

>>Wow, 2 acres, you could plant fruit trees, they do well in your area,
>>grapes or muscadines, kiwi, lots of stuff that doesn't require a lot of
>>work but provides outstanding foods for later use.

> Well, while I'd like to say that my doctor husband is a rich doctor
> husband, we just live in a rural area where land is cheap - way cheap.
> LOL.

I would move just outside town on the north side in a heartbeat. Problem
is that land is very expensive around here due to so many wetlands.
Little lots sell for $20K and the ones over by the country club go for
$56K. My best friend keeps trying to get me to move to central
Louisiana, Alexandria/Pineville area. That would not be wise as my
business base for my consultancy is here on the coast, be too far to
drive. Pretty country up there though, high and dry mostly.

> I do want to put in some fruit trees. We have a nice spot at the
> north end of our lot where they would do well. It's also where I have
> the veggie garden though so I'd have to think it through a bit so as
> not to add more shade to our place. I have very little sunny area as
> it is.
>
> This place was built back in the 1930's and is awash in mature white
> oaks and pecans. I think the pecans are about done though - they seem
> to not be doing well at all with a lot of old limbs falling and such.
> How long do those trees live anyway?

They probably need a little TLC, I know of pecan trees that are well
over 100 years old and still going strong. Get you some AgLSU brochures,
most likely they could use a good, proper feeding. Your ag agent may
accidentally be able to help you. We're so citified we have a
"horticultural" agent, I find him less than useful since he's mostly
into flowers and not veggies and fruit trees.
>>Since most of the folks, at least around here, that use the ER are the
>>poor ones who can't afford doctors they probably would appreciate some
>>free food.

> Good point. Same here.
>

>>A number of folk on this newsgroup and many on rec.gardens do just that.

> I'll be on the phone later today (when normal, non-post west nile
> folks are up and about) and see if I can find said food bank then!
>

>>I make a lot of sweet pickle relish straight from the BBB, lots of onion
>>and bell pepper in it, sorta looks like a jar of confetti. Our
>>descendants, kids, grands, and greatgrands, all love hot dogs with
>>pickle relish. Wife makes a lot of cold soup in the hot summer, big
>>batch of gazpacho made today, cukes, onions, and tomatoes from the
>>garden. One of the teachers at her school is retiring and a lot of them
>>are showing up to help her clean her classroom out tomorrow. Guess
>>what's for lunch?

> That does sound wonderful.
>
> I have a honeydew, cantaloupe and bunchofotherstuff recipe I got on
> foodnetwork.com that emeril did. It's fantastic and will use up
> melons when they start coming on. I didn't get any honeydew planted
> though so that might be difficult to find. Have not seen any down
> here at all - not even last summer.

We have a very large Kroger Supermarket here. Was shopping there last
week and they had about 20 kinds of melons on display, including some I
had never seen outside of SE Asia. They were right tasty too.

>>We like them done that way too, I toss in a couple cracked pepper corns
>>to add more flavor. Around the south that's known as a "fresh" pickle,
>>my old dad really loved that one.

> I grew up with them as well but just called them cucumbers and onions.
> It's a staple along with green beans cooked with new potatoes and ham,
> fresh sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob and other fresh from the garden
> stuff. It's my favorite summer meal.

I didn't know you were from East Texas! <VBG> That's the same stuff I
grew up on.

>>I've never tried to make tomato paste but made a bunch of "sun dried"
>>tomatoes one year in my dehydrator. Vac sealed them in quart jars, put
>>in the pantry, and took out as needed and resealed. Lasted about two
>>years IIRC.

> Interesting. Two years ago when I had to leave early, Chuck was left
> with my planted garden and no idea what to do with the produce. He
> did dry some tomatoes but vac packed them and froze them. That didn't
> work too well. I would not have thought of doing them in jars though.
>
> Any variety of tomato that works best? I have several planted/

I just used one of the many plum tomatoes that are available. I prefer
those for eating fresh too as they are solid all the way through.

>>Fig wine ain't bad, got a Cajun friend makes a mess of that every year.
>>My whole family loves the jam/preserves, etc so much that they run
>>through a couple cases of pints every year from our tree.

> Interesting. We may have to try that but I think I'll leave that up
> to Chuck.
>

>>Don't feel bad, we have a leash law that applies to dogs and cats,
>>certain people in the community don't think it applies to their pets
>>though. Fellow across the street is one of them, he currently has 10
>>days to pay the fine for failing to leash his dog or they will put him
>>in jail with the dog. I think this is the third time they've taken dogs
>>away from him since he moved into the neighborhood about ten years ago.
>>Like you I have difficulties with folks who don't care about their
>>companion pets. Mine is a nine year old Rat Terrier who thinks she's the
>>alpha female around here and keeps rounding up the little grands and
>>greatgrands and makes them come in the house.

> It's just so sad. With no animal control at all, people also dump
> their dogs on a routine basis. That's how I picked up my little
> spaniel. She's about 8 months old, came into season, probably got
> bred, picked up mange and they just dropped her off in a secluded
> spot. Luckily I drove past and saw her looking lost and terrified.
> She cleaned up real good and is being spayed tomorrow. She is a dear
> and needs to be someone's baby.
>

>>Hey, I've been with the same woman since June 1958, drug her all around
>>the world, lived in places genteel folks wouldn't live in at all and
>>she's stuck to me for all these years and keeps on smiling. If there's
>>someone for this old oilfield hand there's someone for everyone.

> Well, I figure I got lucky. He's pretty special.
>
> Loki

Hang in there Loki, you live in a pretty good part of the world. Get
active with the parish government and stay on their rears about the
leash law. Many years ago, over in Texas, I had to post signs along the
edge of my property telling people that I couldn't afford to feed their
unwanted animals and that I would shoot them and bury them. Didn't even
slow up the unwanted animal drop-offs. You end up hating to dispose of
the animals but they can go feral in a heartbeat, particularly cats.
Decimated the quail population, ate all the meadowlarks and anything
else that was ground dwelling. I've even seen them eating box turtles. I
would rather have shot the previous owners for being so cowardly as to
turn the animal loose. Steps down off soap box.

George

Loki 14-06-2005 01:24 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:55:33 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Man, she lives in NORTH Louisiana, crawfish are bait up there. <BSEG>

I wish. My step-sons adore the icky bugs. <shudder>

But I'm not sure this *is* Louisiana. I think it's Baja Arkansas. We
don't even seem to have proper Cajuns here...

Loki

Loki 14-06-2005 01:26 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:58:29 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Most of the local nurseries carry the baby ones but Dever Nursery, on
>Houston River Road in Sulphur carries the four footers. That's where I
>got mine. If Chuck ever comes back down this way let me know and I'll
>pick one up for you. Label on the pot says "Noble Bay" instead of "Bay
>Laurel." I bet there's wild ones up there, start pinching leaves and
>smelling them. B-)

Will do. Chuck hasn't been working down that way much of late, but I
will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Loki

Nyssa 14-06-2005 03:38 PM

George Shirley wrote:

> Loki wrote:
>

>>>I've never tried to make tomato paste but made a bunch of "sun dried"
>>>tomatoes one year in my dehydrator. Vac sealed them in quart jars, put
>>>in the pantry, and took out as needed and resealed. Lasted about two
>>>years IIRC.

>> Interesting. Two years ago when I had to leave early, Chuck was left
>> with my planted garden and no idea what to do with the produce. He
>> did dry some tomatoes but vac packed them and froze them. That didn't
>> work too well. I would not have thought of doing them in jars though.
>>
>> Any variety of tomato that works best? I have several planted/

> I just used one of the many plum tomatoes that are available. I prefer
> those for eating fresh too as they are solid all the way through.

Okay, so I've got tons of little green Roma, San Marzano,
and Principe Borghese tomatoes out in my *new* garden beds

PLUS

a brand, new spankin' Excalibur dehydrator sitting on my
table while I figger out a safe place to put it permanently...

so what are the finer points of preping the maters for the
dryer and storing them after drying?

Peel first? Cut into slices, whole, halves?

And any recipes or pointers to same for using the little
buggers later would be appreciated too.

I used to do a bit of canning and freezing in the olden
days, but I'm completely a newbie to the dehydrating thang.

TIA

Nyssa, who is ready to dive back into the food preserving culture

P.S. To Loki: If the amounts of maters out there is any
indication, I'll have plenty of dried ones to share until you
get your Principes goin'....assuming I don't totally screw
things up!

zxcvbob 14-06-2005 04:51 PM

Nyssa wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:

>>>Interesting. Two years ago when I had to leave early, Chuck was left
>>>with my planted garden and no idea what to do with the produce. He
>>>did dry some tomatoes but vac packed them and froze them. That didn't
>>>work too well. I would not have thought of doing them in jars though.
>>>
>>>Any variety of tomato that works best? I have several planted/

>>I just used one of the many plum tomatoes that are available. I prefer
>>those for eating fresh too as they are solid all the way through.
>>

> Okay, so I've got tons of little green Roma, San Marzano,
> and Principe Borghese tomatoes out in my *new* garden beds
>
> PLUS
>
> a brand, new spankin' Excalibur dehydrator sitting on my
> table while I figger out a safe place to put it permanently...
>
> so what are the finer points of preping the maters for the
> dryer and storing them after drying?
>
> Peel first? Cut into slices, whole, halves?
>
> And any recipes or pointers to same for using the little
> buggers later would be appreciated too.
>
> I used to do a bit of canning and freezing in the olden
> days, but I'm completely a newbie to the dehydrating thang.
>
> TIA
>
> Nyssa, who is ready to dive back into the food preserving culture
>
> P.S. To Loki: If the amounts of maters out there is any
> indication, I'll have plenty of dried ones to share until you
> get your Principes goin'....assuming I don't totally screw
> things up!

Slice the Principe Borghese in half lengthwise (without peeling) and put
them on the trays cut-side-up. Don't set the dehydrator too hot (I
dunno if the Excalibur is adjustable.) When they are about halfway
dried, you can bunch them closer together on the trays to make more room
if you want.

You won't need to dehydrate any of the Romas or SM's because the PB's
are prolific and dry perfectly.

Best regards,
Bob

Loki 15-06-2005 02:05 AM

On 14 Jun 2005 10:38:35 EDT, Nyssa > wrote:

>Okay, so I've got tons of little green Roma, San Marzano,
>and Principe Borghese tomatoes out in my *new* garden beds
>
>PLUS
>
>a brand, new spankin' Excalibur dehydrator sitting on my
>table while I figger out a safe place to put it permanently...
>
>so what are the finer points of preping the maters for the
>dryer and storing them after drying?
>
>Peel first? Cut into slices, whole, halves?
>
>And any recipes or pointers to same for using the little
>buggers later would be appreciated too.
>
>I used to do a bit of canning and freezing in the olden
>days, but I'm completely a newbie to the dehydrating thang.
>
>TIA
>
>Nyssa, who is ready to dive back into the food preserving culture
>
>P.S. To Loki: If the amounts of maters out there is any
>indication, I'll have plenty of dried ones to share until you
>get your Principes goin'....assuming I don't totally screw
>things up!

Cool! And thank you. Where did you get your seeds for the
Principe's? I couldn't find seed locally this year but if I can get
my hands on some I can have a late crop!

Loki

Dwayne 15-06-2005 01:01 PM

Take the excess to your friends and relatives until they start not answering
the door when you come, find some cars that are unlocked and put them in
there, and what is left over take to the local senior center and donate it
to the seniors. That is what I did in Arkansas.

Dwayne

Anny Middon 15-06-2005 06:01 PM

"Loki" > wrote in message

> So, what do I do with all this bounty that is about to happen? I know
> I preserve it but what recipes are favorites for zukes, cukes and
> tomatoes????? I'd prefer to start with the fairly safe ones as I've
> not canned nor pickled for years and years and... Oh, I can't be
> that old!

I've never tried them, but I understand that deep-fried squash blossoms are
delicious. And of course a blossom you eat can't turn into a fruit. (Not
that all of them turn into fruits -- as I understnad it there are male
bloosoms and female blossoms, and either one works for frying.)

Last year I put up a few jars of crushed tomatoes, using the recipe from the
BBB. I wish I'd put up about three times as many.

Anny

Nyssa 15-06-2005 11:04 PM

Loki wrote:

>>P.S. To Loki: If the amounts of maters out there is any
>>indication, I'll have plenty of dried ones to share until you
>>get your Principes goin'....assuming I don't totally screw
>>things up!

> Cool! And thank you. Where did you get your seeds for the
> Principe's? I couldn't find seed locally this year but if I can get
> my hands on some I can have a late crop!

I got my seeds for the Principe and San Marzano tomatoes
from Pinetree Seeds.

This is the first year I've tried growing those varieties,
and so far I'm really impressed with them both as far as
number of little green maters on 'em.

I'm also growing several other first-timers and they're all
going great guns. Methinks the canners and the dehydrator
will all be getting a lot of work this season.

My seed orders this year were spread over Pinetree, Kitchen
Garden Seeds, and Kitazawa. While plenty of places in my
traveling areas carry seeds, and many have sickly looking plants,
they all seem to have the same old blah varieties. Thank goodness
for mailorder!

Nyssa, who may have gone overboard with tomato plants this year

The Cook 15-06-2005 11:24 PM

They are also available from Totally Tomatoes. www.totallytomato.com

You can also try Tomato Growers Supply. www.tomatogrowers.com

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Puester 23-06-2005 07:33 PM

George Shirley wrote:

> We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
> before the squirrels do.

Just got back from 2 weeks vacation to discover that
every one of our green tomatoes has been pecked by
the danged crows. They have decided that our yard is
the preferred cafeteria. Don't advise shooting them--they
are protected here, we are way too close to neighbors
and we don't own guns.

gloria p

zxcvbob 23-06-2005 07:51 PM

Puester wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
>> before the squirrels do.
>>

> Just got back from 2 weeks vacation to discover that
> every one of our green tomatoes has been pecked by
> the danged crows. They have decided that our yard is
> the preferred cafeteria. Don't advise shooting them--they
> are protected here, we are way too close to neighbors
> and we don't own guns.
>
> gloria p

Get a motion-activated sprinkler. I got one last year to keep the
rabbits away and it worked splendidly. I don't think anything likes
getting hit with a stream of cold water... well, maybe a duck or some
golden retrievers.

Best regards,
Bob

George Shirley 23-06-2005 10:12 PM

Puester wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> We're having to pick tomatoes at the barely pink stage to get them
>> before the squirrels do.
>>

> Just got back from 2 weeks vacation to discover that
> every one of our green tomatoes has been pecked by
> the danged crows. They have decided that our yard is
> the preferred cafeteria. Don't advise shooting them--they
> are protected here, we are way too close to neighbors
> and we don't own guns.
>
> gloria p

Crows are generally protected by federal law but, in some cases, they
can be killed for predation of crops. We use all those free CD's that
come in the mail to frighten birds off. Use a hole punch and punch a
hole near an edge, put a cheap fishing swivel in the hole, hang
monofiliment fishing line on it, tie over the tomato vines and/or tree.
Wind blows them and they make nice bright flashes of light. Scares the
bejabbers out of squirrels, grackles, etc and they go elsewhere. That's
if we remember to hang them before the fruit or tomatoes get very big.

George