Adam Preble

Default Do low-sugar jams have a lighter color?

I first made jam with real sugar, and noticed it got a darker color as
it was boiled. This was what I had expected, based on experience with
commercial jams. It was reassuring when the color changed, and I was
kind of expecting it too.

With low-sugar jams, I've noticed a brighter color, and I was curious
why "they" did that. When I made some strawberry jam with Splenda, I
noticed it didn't darken. Ultimately, the jam thickened somewhat, but
it didn't darken at all. The jam is runnier than the normal stuff, but
this seems in line with what I've bought commercially too.

I'm curious if my observations have been correct so far, and if maybe I
haven't looked in the right places. I'm most interested in making
sugar-free jams with the normal darker color and thick texture.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Adam Preble
> wrote:

> I first made jam with real sugar, and noticed it got a darker color as
> it was boiled. This was what I had expected, based on experience with
> commercial jams. It was reassuring when the color changed, and I was
> kind of expecting it too.
>
> With low-sugar jams, I've noticed a brighter color, and I was curious
> why "they" did that. When I made some strawberry jam with Splenda, I
> noticed it didn't darken. Ultimately, the jam thickened somewhat, but
> it didn't darken at all. The jam is runnier than the normal stuff, but
> this seems in line with what I've bought commercially too.
>
> I'm curious if my observations have been correct so far, and if maybe I
> haven't looked in the right places. I'm most interested in making
> sugar-free jams with the normal darker color and thick texture.

Hi, Adam
Your observations are correct. Might as well start he
http://www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/, then link to 'Jamming Tips' then to
"tips for making no-sugar-needed recipes".

The pectins that are for use with reduced or no sugar are called "low
methoxyl" pectins and use calcium to effect the jell. SureJell in the
pink box is one such product; Ball also makes a no- or low-sugar powder
pectin product. Additionally, Pomona's Universal Pectin uses calcium
water (you have to mix it) for a set. What they all have in common is a
cloudy product. Sugar in jams helps with color and clarity as well as
preserving it. Ever notice that the red "fruit spreads" (e.g., Polaner
All Fruit) on the market sometimes look kind of brown? That's because
of a lack of sugar (refined, I suppose, because they often have other
sugars in the guise of fruit juice) and exposure to light -- a natural
'hazard'. And there's no FDA standard for "all fruit" spreads. Low
sugar spreads may be tastier to some but they're not as pretty -- if
that's a consideration for you. HTH.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Adam Preble

> > With low-sugar jams, I've noticed a brighter color, and I was curious
> > why "they" did that. When I made some strawberry jam with Splenda, I
> > noticed it didn't darken. Ultimately, the jam thickened somewhat, but
> > it didn't darken at all. The jam is runnier than the normal stuff, but
> > this seems in line with what I've bought commercially too.
> >

> Hi, Adam
> Your observations are correct. Might as well start he
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/, then link to 'Jamming Tips' then to
> "tips for making no-sugar-needed recipes".
> The pectins that are for use with reduced or no sugar are called "low
> methoxyl" pectins and use calcium to effect the jell. SureJell in the
> pink box is one such product; Ball also makes a no- or low-sugar powder
> pectin product. Additionally, Pomona's Universal Pectin uses calcium
> water (you have to mix it) for a set. What they all have in common is a
> cloudy product. Sugar in jams helps with color and clarity as well as
> preserving it. Ever notice that the red "fruit spreads" (e.g., Polaner
> All Fruit) on the market sometimes look kind of brown? That's because
> of a lack of sugar (refined, I suppose, because they often have other
> sugars in the guise of fruit juice) and exposure to light -- a natural
> 'hazard'. And there's no FDA standard for "all fruit" spreads. Low
> sugar spreads may be tastier to some but they're not as pretty -- if
> that's a consideration for you. HTH. Barb

I have also noticed that the color in low- and esp. no- sugar jams "fades" and may
turn brownish. Doesn't seem to affect taste, but does not look great. I'm not
using Splenda for jam unless asked, and use the low sugar recipes for me. Adam,
what recipe are you using? With or without pectin? I can't imagine a cooked only
jam jelling at all with Splenda - will probably *need* added pectin.
Edrena

Adam Preble

The Joneses wrote:
> I have also noticed that the color in low- and esp. no- sugar jams "fades" and may
> turn brownish. Doesn't seem to affect taste, but does not look great. I'm not
> using Splenda for jam unless asked, and use the low sugar recipes for me. Adam,
> what recipe are you using? With or without pectin? I can't imagine a cooked only
> jam jelling at all with Splenda - will probably *need* added pectin.
> Edrena

I tossed the recipe since it doesn't seem to be a keeper. I think the
jam came out too sweet after putting in the sweetener. Hey, I had
stuffy sinuses and my royal taster wasn't always around. The recipe I
used came with a no-sugar pectin I bought.

I think next time I'll use low-sugar pectin, add a little bit of real
sugar for function, and splenda for the extra sweetness.