mysterious

Default Question about old Bernardin lids

Hello:

When I was at a garage sale, I bought some really old canning jars of
various sizes as well as boxes of Bernardin lids. Most of the boxes
were standard size but I do have some old "63" Narrow mouth 2 piece
canning caps with snap lids.

If anyone's bought Classico pasta sauces in the grocery stores in the
narrow jars, this is the size of some of the jars I bought that use
that old lid size I mentioned.

The box is burgundy in colour with yellow margins and the size does
not have a metric equivalent so these lids go back to a pre-metric
Canada, and indeed the 12 lids cost 89 cents (the tag is still on the
box).

Can someone tell me if there is a company out there that still makes
these small lids? I looked around here and made a few phone calls
including to Bernardin but struck out; and the Bernardin Rep I spoke
with hadn't heard of these lid sizes nor did she recognize the
description of the box. She even suggested I try the Antiques Roadshow
for help!

Thanks to any and all input, really appreciate your help!

Karen
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> When I was at a garage sale, I bought some really old canning jars of
> various sizes as well as boxes of Bernardin lids. Most of the boxes
> were standard size but I do have some old "63" Narrow mouth 2 piece
> canning caps with snap lids.
>
> If anyone's bought Classico pasta sauces in the grocery stores in the
> narrow jars, this is the size of some of the jars I bought that use
> that old lid size I mentioned.
>
> The box is burgundy in colour with yellow margins and the size does
> not have a metric equivalent so these lids go back to a pre-metric
> Canada, and indeed the 12 lids cost 89 cents (the tag is still on the
> box).
>
> Can someone tell me if there is a company out there that still makes
> these small lids? I looked around here and made a few phone calls
> including to Bernardin but struck out; and the Bernardin Rep I spoke
> with hadn't heard of these lid sizes nor did she recognize the
> description of the box. She even suggested I try the Antiques Roadshow
> for help!
>
> Thanks to any and all input, really appreciate your help!
>
> Karen

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> The Nylons added 4-3-05.

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> When I was at a garage sale, I bought some really old canning jars of
>>> various sizes as well as boxes of Bernardin lids. Most of the boxes
>>> were standard size but I do have some old "63" Narrow mouth 2 piece
>>> canning caps with snap lids.
>>>
>>> If anyone's bought Classico pasta sauces in the grocery stores in the
>>> narrow jars, this is the size of some of the jars I bought that use
>>> that old lid size I mentioned.
>>>
>>> The box is burgundy in colour with yellow margins and the size does
>>> not have a metric equivalent so these lids go back to a pre-metric
>>> Canada, and indeed the 12 lids cost 89 cents (the tag is still on the
>>> box).
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if there is a company out there that still makes
>>> these small lids? I looked around here and made a few phone calls
>>> including to Bernardin but struck out; and the Bernardin Rep I spoke
>>> with hadn't heard of these lid sizes nor did she recognize the
>>> description of the box. She even suggested I try the Antiques Roadshow
>>> for help!
>>>
>>> Thanks to any and all input, really appreciate your help!
>>>
>>> Karen

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> 46¢ each? Yikes!

Lined caps are more expensive. Small orders are more expensive per unit.

> What about that place in Oklahoma that sells metal lids? (I can't
> remember the name, but IIRC you sent me a link once upon a time.)

Just google a bit.
<http://tinyurl.com/65n2r>

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> When I was at a garage sale, I bought some really old canning jars of
>>> various sizes as well as boxes of Bernardin lids. Most of the boxes
>>> were standard size but I do have some old "63" Narrow mouth 2 piece
>>> canning caps with snap lids.
>>>
>>> If anyone's bought Classico pasta sauces in the grocery stores in the
>>> narrow jars, this is the size of some of the jars I bought that use
>>> that old lid size I mentioned.
>>>
>>> The box is burgundy in colour with yellow margins and the size does
>>> not have a metric equivalent so these lids go back to a pre-metric
>>> Canada, and indeed the 12 lids cost 89 cents (the tag is still on the
>>> box).
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if there is a company out there that still makes
>>> these small lids? I looked around here and made a few phone calls
>>> including to Bernardin but struck out; and the Bernardin Rep I spoke
>>> with hadn't heard of these lid sizes nor did she recognize the
>>> description of the box. She even suggested I try the Antiques Roadshow
>>> for help!
>>>
>>> Thanks to any and all input, really appreciate your help!
>>>
>>> Karen

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> 46¢ each? Yikes!

Lined caps are more expensive. Small orders are more expensive per unit.

> What about that place in Oklahoma that sells metal lids? (I can't
> remember the name, but IIRC you sent me a link once upon a time.)

Just google a bit.
<http://tinyurl.com/65n2r>

Pastorio
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > wrote:

(snip)
> >>Can someone tell me if there is a company out there that still makes
> >>these small lids? I looked around here and made a few phone calls
> >>including to Bernardin but struck out; and the Bernardin Rep I spoke
> >>with hadn't heard of these lid sizes nor did she recognize the
> >>description of the box. She even suggested I try the Antiques Roadshow
> >>for help!
> >>
> >>Thanks to any and all input, really appreciate your help!
> >>
> >>Karen

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> > plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> 46¢ each? Yikes!
>
> What about that place in Oklahoma that sells metal lids? (I can't
> remember the name, but IIRC you sent me a link once upon a time.)
>
> Bob

If you buy 1700 of them, the price drops to ~$.26 each.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.

mysterious

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
what I might have to do.

> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> The Nylons added 4-3-05.
>
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> > plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

You're welcome. You could always buy 1700 (or however many of them for
the case price) for 26 cents each. :-) Stick with me, Kid. I've got a
million good ideas.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> > plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

You're welcome. You could always buy 1700 (or however many of them for
the case price) for 26 cents each. :-) Stick with me, Kid. I've got a
million good ideas.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> > plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

You're welcome. You could always buy 1700 (or however many of them for
the case price) for 26 cents each. :-) Stick with me, Kid. I've got a
million good ideas.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
zxcvbob

mysterious wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>>plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

Before ordering, you might wanna check he
<http://www.foodfactories.com/glass_jar_lids.htm>

Their home page says they cater to "industrious home-canners" as well as
wholesale. Shipping charges might eat you up if you try to order jars,
but I doubt it for a case of lids.

If you know any beekeepers who sell honey, they may can get you a small
quantity of 63mm lids. That's where I got my stash of one-piece white
lids.

Be careful that you get the right lid; I think there are 2 different
standard thread sizes, but I could bee wrong.

HTH, :-)
Bob
zxcvbob

mysterious wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>>plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

Before ordering, you might wanna check he
<http://www.foodfactories.com/glass_jar_lids.htm>

Their home page says they cater to "industrious home-canners" as well as
wholesale. Shipping charges might eat you up if you try to order jars,
but I doubt it for a case of lids.

If you know any beekeepers who sell honey, they may can get you a small
quantity of 63mm lids. That's where I got my stash of one-piece white
lids.

Be careful that you get the right lid; I think there are 2 different
standard thread sizes, but I could bee wrong.

HTH, :-)
Bob
zxcvbob

mysterious wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>>plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> what I might have to do.

Before ordering, you might wanna check he
<http://www.foodfactories.com/glass_jar_lids.htm>

Their home page says they cater to "industrious home-canners" as well as
wholesale. Shipping charges might eat you up if you try to order jars,
but I doubt it for a case of lids.

If you know any beekeepers who sell honey, they may can get you a small
quantity of 63mm lids. That's where I got my stash of one-piece white
lids.

Be careful that you get the right lid; I think there are 2 different
standard thread sizes, but I could bee wrong.

HTH, :-)
Bob
RR

mysterious > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>> www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

>Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
>what I might have to do.

Unless you really have your heart set on using those old 63mm jars,
wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the standard 70mm jars and their
readily available lids?
Bernardin regular snap lids sell here for CDN $1.00/dozen and Mason
jars at local thrift stores run about CDN $0.19 to $0.39. That's a jar
*and* a lid for less than the price of Freund's lids alone.
Just my thoughts.

Ross

RR

mysterious > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>> www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

>Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
>what I might have to do.

Unless you really have your heart set on using those old 63mm jars,
wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the standard 70mm jars and their
readily available lids?
Bernardin regular snap lids sell here for CDN $1.00/dozen and Mason
jars at local thrift stores run about CDN $0.19 to $0.39. That's a jar
*and* a lid for less than the price of Freund's lids alone.
Just my thoughts.

Ross
msterious

zxcvbob wrote:

> mysterious wrote:
>

> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >

> >>www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> >>plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> > Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> > what I might have to do.
> >

> Before ordering, you might wanna check he
> <http://www.foodfactories.com/glass_jar_lids.htm>
>
> Their home page says they cater to "industrious home-canners" as well as
> wholesale. Shipping charges might eat you up if you try to order jars,
> but I doubt it for a case of lids.
>
> If you know any beekeepers who sell honey, they may can get you a small
> quantity of 63mm lids. That's where I got my stash of one-piece white
> lids.
>
> Be careful that you get the right lid; I think there are 2 different
> standard thread sizes, but I could bee wrong.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Bob

Hi Bob- thanks for the head's up! I'm so used to working with the
Standard sizes that my idea for using the older sized jars with gift
yummies kind of got carried away <g>

I have 39 of those oldies and if I were to reuse the same size jars
from Classico Alfredo sauces I'd have somewhere near 60. I'm starting
to think that I'll give some of the jars to my husband and son for
screws, bolts, and whatever else they both seem to collect and sort.

Ah well. Yummies idea good - jar idea maybe not so good. (LOL)
Karen
msterious

RR wrote:

> mysterious > wrote:
>

> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >>

> >> www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
> >> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

> >Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
> >what I might have to do.

> Unless you really have your heart set on using those old 63mm jars,
> wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the standard 70mm jars and their
> readily available lids?
> Bernardin regular snap lids sell here for CDN $1.00/dozen and Mason
> jars at local thrift stores run about CDN $0.19 to $0.39. That's a jar
> *and* a lid for less than the price of Freund's lids alone.
> Just my thoughts.
>
> Ross

Hi Ross- I mentioned to Bob that although my idea was good to begin
with, the jars are a bit of a bad idea.

Bernardin had marketed specialty jars with fancy design lids that were
too expensive. So I think I'll just go back to decorating the lids
when giving them as gifts.

Never thought of the Thrift shop idea, thanks!
Karen
ellen wickberg

in article , RR at
wrote on 12/4/05 4:16 PM:

> mysterious > wrote:
>

>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

www.FreundContainer.com; Stock No. X63-400PS, white one-piece cap with
>>> plastisol liner 100 for $46.00. 1-800-363.9822

>> Thanks, Barb, for helping! It's a little expensive but I think that's
>> what I might have to do.

> Unless you really have your heart set on using those old 63mm jars,
> wouldn't it be cheaper just to use the standard 70mm jars and their
> readily available lids?
> Bernardin regular snap lids sell here for CDN $1.00/dozen and Mason
> jars at local thrift stores run about CDN $0.19 to $0.39. That's a jar
> *and* a lid for less than the price of Freund's lids alone.
> Just my thoughts.
>
> Ross

where is here? in Vancouver they are up to $2.00 or more for a box of 12.
Ellen

RR

ellen wickberg > wrote:

>where is here? in Vancouver they are up to $2.00 or more for a box of 12.
>Ellen

"Here" is Southern Ontario.
Do you have a "Dollarama" store in your area? It has to be Dollarama,
not one of the multitude of other dollar type stores. At Dollarama,
everything is priced at 1 dollar. Small items are in multiples but,
always for 1 dollar. No plastic, no cheques, no coupons, cash only.
They are getting to be almost as plentiful as Tim Hortons in this
area. They carry Bernardin regular lids in the dozen box and, of
course, they are 1 dollar.
Other stores in the area charge from $1.09 up, the most expensive
being Home Hardware at $1.99.

Ross.

To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

ellen wickberg

RR wrote:
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>where is here? in Vancouver they are up to $2.00 or more for a box of 12.
>>Ellen

> "Here" is Southern Ontario.
> Do you have a "Dollarama" store in your area? It has to be Dollarama,
> not one of the multitude of other dollar type stores. At Dollarama,
> everything is priced at 1 dollar. Small items are in multiples but,
> always for 1 dollar. No plastic, no cheques, no coupons, cash only.
> They are getting to be almost as plentiful as Tim Hortons in this
> area. They carry Bernardin regular lids in the dozen box and, of
> course, they are 1 dollar.
> Other stores in the area charge from $1.09 up, the most expensive
> being Home Hardware at $1.99.
>
> Ross.
>
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

I'll look, don't remember seeing any. Thanks,
Ellen
mysterious

RR wrote:

> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>
> >where is here? in Vancouver they are up to $2.00 or more for a box of 12.
> >Ellen

> "Here" is Southern Ontario.
> Do you have a "Dollarama" store in your area? It has to be Dollarama,
> not one of the multitude of other dollar type stores. At Dollarama,
> everything is priced at 1 dollar. Small items are in multiples but,
> always for 1 dollar. No plastic, no cheques, no coupons, cash only.
> They are getting to be almost as plentiful as Tim Hortons in this
> area. They carry Bernardin regular lids in the dozen box and, of
> course, they are 1 dollar.
> Other stores in the area charge from $1.09 up, the most expensive
> being Home Hardware at $1.99.
>
> Ross.
>
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Interesting! There's a Dollarama about an hours' drive from me. I'll
have to check it out, thanks!
Suz

Does anyone know of a source for reuseable lids for the bernardin jars?
Drives me bonkers having to purchase more & more metal lids & never being
able to reuse them. I'm not thinking about the plastic lids, but ones that
can be used to attain a proper vacuum seal after BWB or pressure canning.

Tks!

Susan