Member

Default Black currant jam for diabetics

We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with diabetes.

Thanks

Russell
ellen wickberg

camelot wrote:
> We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
> numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
> Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
> another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
> diabetes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Russell

Bernardin's No Sugar Needed Pectin has worked well for us, but of course
we are not a commercial organization. We have not made black currant
jam but many other berry and fruit jams. You could contact them
directly and see if they have commercial applications that have been tested.
Ellen
Melba's Jammin'

--
camelot

I think you need to consult with a food scientist if you're planning
commercial distribution. Or contact the pectin companies to see if
they have recomendations.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
William R. Watt

I've had juice (not black currant) gel w/o adding sugar but the taste is
rough. If you search the Internet there's a lot of info on the chemistry
of jams and jellies. Look under combinations of "pectin", "jam", and "food
science". Maybe some other black currant concoction would be acceptable.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Dwayne

And after you get an answer and try it, put it on the shelf for about 6
months before selling any. That gives you a chance to see if it has a shelf
life. I made peach jam last summer with Splenda. Everyone said they had
problems with mold on top after about 2 weeks. I found one recipe that said
to Hot Water Bath after everything else, so I did. The jam set up nicely,
and 2 months later it looked very good. I was confident that I had done
everything right and overcame the problem of making jam with no sugar.

After about 6 months, the top 1/2 inch of all the jars of peach jam, had
turned a slightly darker color. After opening one, it still tasted good. I
scraped off the top 1/2 inch and ate it. It is very good, but nothing you
would be able to sell to your customers.
The only jars I made that didn't change, were the ones I put in the freezer.
It makes good freezer jam, but I wouldn't want to be your salesman trying to
sell it the regular way.

Dwayne

..

"camelot" > wrote in message
news:1111537510.da3a7871737ecb6672e5f701980e5d9f@t eranews...

> We are a small black currant jam supplier in Ontario and I have had
> numerous requests for a diabetic jam or sugar free jam.
> Can anyone recommend how to make our jam with a substitute or recommend
> another alternative so we could provide an alternative to someone with
> diabetes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Russell
>

> --