Melba's Jammin'

Default Ping: Judith Umbria

Are you anywhere near Rome? DH and I are scheduled for a tour to Italia
this summer in early June. Would enjoy a visit with you if it's
practical.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
Judith Umbria

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Are you anywhere near Rome? DH and I are scheduled for a tour to Italia
> this summer in early June. Would enjoy a visit with you if it's
> practical.

Barb, I am in Umbria not too, too far. I do recommend that unless you are
very restricted in time you try to get into some part of Italy that isn't so
internationalized, so why not here? I'd be happy to meet you, fix you a
meal, show you around a place where everyday real life proceeds in the
quasi-traditional Italian manner. It is cheaper up here, too.
I will email you with more info.

Judith Umbria

"Loki" > wrote in message
> il Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:05:27 GMT, "Judith Umbria" ha scritto:
>
> > Barb, I am in Umbria not too, too far. I do recommend that unless you

are
> > very restricted in time you try to get into some part of Italy that

isn't so
> > internationalized, so why not here? I'd be happy to meet you, fix you a
> > meal, show you around a place where everyday real life proceeds in the
> > quasi-traditional Italian manner. It is cheaper up here, too.

> A lovely place. :-) I know Perugia well. I have a sister living there
> and many missed friends around the region. Ahh, I dream of it
> still.... I spent time at the Universitą di Stranieri and remember
> the Assisi earthquake vividly. You aint seen a traffic jam until
> you've seen one after a quake in Perugia!
> --
> Cheers,
> Loki

And I hope I never do. We have had four small shivers since I have been
here. The first made me think that a truck had hit the house.

Loki

il Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:35:37 GMT, "Judith Umbria" ha scritto:

> > A lovely place. :-) I know Perugia well. I have a sister living there
> > and many missed friends around the region. Ahh, I dream of it
> > still.... I spent time at the Universitą di Stranieri and remember
> > the Assisi earthquake vividly. You aint seen a traffic jam until
> > you've seen one after a quake in Perugia!
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Loki

> And I hope I never do. We have had four small shivers since I have been
> here. The first made me think that a truck had hit the house.

The only way to relieve the earthquake stress is to think of ...food
:-))
You haven't come across a nice simple way to make antipasto in olio
or vinegar have you? . I wouldn't want to store it, just to get the
flavour and then scoff. I came across one recipe on the net. It
consisted of opening a whole pile of jars and mixing! I'd rather peel
and chop them myself, even pick them if possible ;-). I like the
gentle but not too acerbic flavour of italian bottled preserves. I
just wonder how they get it. Straight vinegar is too harsh, so they
must be doing something.

I hope you can help.
--
Cheers,

Judith Umbria

"Loki" > wrote in message
> il Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:35:37 GMT, "Judith Umbria" ha scritto:
> The only way to relieve the earthquake stress is to think of ...food
> :-))
> You haven't come across a nice simple way to make antipasto in olio
> or vinegar have you? . I wouldn't want to store it, just to get the
> flavour and then scoff. I came across one recipe on the net. It
> consisted of opening a whole pile of jars and mixing! I'd rather peel
> and chop them myself, even pick them if possible ;-). I like the
> gentle but not too acerbic flavour of italian bottled preserves. I
> just wonder how they get it. Straight vinegar is too harsh, so they
> must be doing something.

There are recipes for preserving various thing sott'aceto or sott'olio and I
can look them up. They are for preserving, though. For fresh, people here
do bagna cauda or more often pizzimonio.
I'll look up my presrving issue of "Sale e Pepe" and translate some of it.
They proposed them as gifts from the dispensa and they were arranged in
beautiful patterns.
When they do sott'olio, there is a marinating process in vinegar-salt-etc.
first to make them safe. If I were to go that distance, I believe I would
make mostarda instead, since it goes for about euro 16 and up for a pint.

Loki

il Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:51:23 GMT, "Judith Umbria" ha scritto:

> There are recipes for preserving various thing sott'aceto or sott'olio and I
> can look them up. They are for preserving, though. For fresh, people here
> do bagna cauda or more often pizzimonio.
> I'll look up my presrving issue of "Sale e Pepe" and translate some of it.
> They proposed them as gifts from the dispensa and they were arranged in
> beautiful patterns.
> When they do sott'olio, there is a marinating process in vinegar-salt-etc.
> first to make them safe. If I were to go that distance, I believe I would
> make mostarda instead, since it goes for about euro 16 and up for a pint.

Sorry I'm late replying, it's been sitting in my hold file for a
while. I make pickled walnuts for that reason too. ($11 NZ for a
little jar from England.) Although the last time I left it a bit late
and the shell was forming. Maded a new batch this Christmas but
haven't tried it yet. Wouldn't mind trying making marron glacź some
time for pancakes.

--
Cheers,

Cookalong starts in Umbria Giusi General Cooking 9 08-08-2010 05:29 AM
Cooking for One - Judith Jones Dora General Cooking 1 01-03-2010 02:09 AM
PING: Judith re Tetrazzini Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 30 03-11-2008 02:02 PM
Judith Moore The Cook General Cooking 9 04-03-2008 03:54 PM
Ping: Umbria Dee Randall General Cooking 1 10-04-2006 06:57 PM