Edward Alfert

"Anny Middon" > wrote in
. com:

> I do a lot of shopping in general online. In terms of canning
> supplies, a quick mental review of my purchases indicates that I buy
> locally what I can easily get locally and everything else online.

Good to know. Stock non-common items that may be too specialized for
general stores to carry.

> I live in suburban Chicago, which is not exactly a hotbed of canning
> activity. I can get jars in many places (grocery stores, Walmart) in
> the late summer, and at Ace Hardware year-round. Pectin is usually
> available in the grocery year-round.

So, 2 core items of home canning you get offline. Good to know.

> Jars cost a lot to ship so I haven't even priced them online. I would
> however buy specialty jars online -- jars I can't find locally. For
> instance, if I perfect my hot sauce recipe (the trail batch I made
> last summer tasted fine but looked like baby poop), I'll search for
> hot sauce bottles that can be BWB processed so I can give shelf-stable
> sauce (with funny labels, of course) to certain dear friends.

Great info. Carry variety of non-Mason jars.

> Purchases related to canning I have made online include:
>
> My All-American Pressure Canner -- I got recomendations from this
> group, found the model I wanted online, and gave the link to my
> household Santa. Frankly I have no idea where I could have purchased
> this locally.
>
> Jelly Bag and Stand -- I tried to find this locally, but struck out
> even at kitchen specialty shops.
>
> Tomato Press -- Bought on Ebay. Never seen any locally.

Ebay instead of a particular website. Good to know. Maybe we'll setup
an Ebay store in addition to website.

> Various cookbooks -- Some were available locally at places like
> Borders, but when I was already placing an order for books online it
> was easy and much cheaper to buy them online. '

Hard to compete on price with online bookstores but it may work as an
addon/impulse sale.

> Which leads to a couple of suggestions for you:
>
> 1. Consider offering cookbooks as part of your product line. I'll
> bet there are church groups and women's clubs and the like out there
> who have done canning cookbooks or general cookbooks with extensive
> sections on canning. Since these are usually fundraising activities
> for the groups, I imagine they would be glad to get a good online
> retail outlet. And of course cooks like me would be glad to get a
> good source for these books, which often have the best recipes.

Thanks... we'll consider that as another source for books if we decide
to offer them.

> 2. Consider offering a clearinghouse for used supplies.

Hum... that might get tricky if someone that wants to sell some used
merchandise has to ship us the product, we pay them, then we mark it up,
and ship it to the new owner. Maybe we could offer a customer forum
where customers can sell to other customers bypassing us. As a service
instead of a profit center.

Thanks Anny for these great things to consider.

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/
Multiple Domain Hosting and Reseller Hosting Plans
Promotional Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

Brian Mailman

Edward Alfert wrote:

> But it wouldn't be "raiding" your wallet if you decided to buy from a
> company. You would do it because that company provided something you
> "wanted".
>
> It might be better viewed as helping a company provide provide you with
> things you need at a better price, superior level of service, etc. and that
> you contributed to helping your own interests.

And helping your bottom line for free.

B/
Brian Mailman

Edward Alfert wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote in
> :
>
>> ...questions should be limited to home-grown items or home-made
>> preserved items."

> Brian,
>
> Ok... I understand now what you mean.
>
>> Aside from the name, this should indicate this is a non-commercial
>> newsgroup.

> I wasn't promoting a commercial venture to the members of this
> newsgroup... I was trying to acquire knowledge.

For a commercial venture.

You're conducting a focus group that you don't have to pay for.

> But, strickly speaking, the question may not be "recreational" in
> nature

It isn't even loosely speaking. It's commercial, pure and simple. YOUR
commerce.

> but it was a questions regarding what members did or did not
> do regarding purchases that related to their "recreational" activity.

Don't turn it around backwards... it's your commercial venture.

>> The key word is "share." What are you sharing? Taking, but not
>> giving.

> I do believe I am also sharing by the responses I have given to other
> replies in this thread

No, you're not sharing at all. I've read those responses and you're
conducting a focus group. I've conducted enough of them and
participated in enough to know that kind of "conversation" very well.
It's not dialogue, it's a guided interview.

> If by "what [am I] sharing" you did not mean information, and would
> accept goods/service/money in return for your answer to my questions,
> then you are already bending your own rules by saying it is
> acceptable to ask non-"recreational" questions in this group as long
> as there is compensation.

It would seem so, but around 200 years ago a French philosopher wrote
"if triangles had a G-d, he would have three sides."

Context is everything. Which you've lifted out and turned around to be
something else.

> Brian, I don't want to start a long argument with you. I do now
> realize and concede that my starting of this thread may be in a
> "very- grey/borderline-black" area,

No "may be" about it.

> but I do believe I adhered to the
> "spirit" of newsgroups because I did not spam or promote a company.

Just your own commercial interests. And I'm glad you're talking about
spirit and not letter... btw, "spam" in a Usenet sense has little to do
with "promoting a company." Google for "Breidbart Index" and "BI > 20"

Trust and respect are the coin of this land--if Barb "Melba's Jamming"
knew that I as a food writer/recipe developer was taking her recipes and
profiting from them would she be posting? Would I post my hints, tips,
and techniques freely if I knew someone was profiting off them?

> If you and any other member of this group felt I was in the wrong, I
> apologize.

I certainly appreciate your civility, but...

B/
Ken Anderson

Well, having read through this thread, we now know who the rfp policeman is!
Excuse the top post.

"Edward Alfert" > wrote in message
. 4...
> I've been lurking in this newsgroup for a while now (and read archived
> posts) in researching the home food preservation market for a possible
> online business venture for a company that currently only sells to the
> local.
>
> I have done searches in search engines and found many online stores
> providing products for this market. But I'm not interested in knowing who
> the online competition is according to search engines.
>
> I'm interested in knowing:
> (1) Do y'all buy from online stores or from your local stores?
> (2) If you do not buy from online stores, why not?
> (2a) Product costs the same or lower in local stores?
> (2b) Shipping cost making online purchases too costly?
> (2c) Not wanting to wait the time it takes to receive product after an
> online purchase?
> (2d) Other reason(s)?
> (3) If you do buy online, what websites do you buy from?
>
> Thank you for your time and honest answers.
>
> --
> Edward Alfert
> http://www.rootmode.com/
> Multiple Domain Hosting and Reseller Hosting Plans
> Promotional Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

Edward Alfert

Brian Mailman > wrote in
:

<snip>
> "spam" in a Usenet sense has little to do
> with "promoting a company." Google for "Breidbart Index" and "BI > 20"

I did not know about BI and did google for it. From what I read, it is
used to calculate the probability that a particular message has been cross-
posted too to many groups or re-posted to the same group too many times.

I don't see this apply to my post. But I do see your point about "usenet
spam" refering to "junk messages" instead of "unsolicited commercial
messages".

> Trust and respect are the coin of this land--if Barb "Melba's Jamming"
> knew that I as a food writer/recipe developer was taking her recipes and
> profiting from them would she be posting? Would I post my hints, tips,
> and techniques freely if I knew someone was profiting off them?

I was very upfront on why I was asking. I think I established the trust
part of the equation. Yet "Melba's Jamming" and others responded because
they did not mind me "profiting" from their response. I understand others
read my post and did not respond because they did not want me to "profit"
by their responses.

>> If you and any other member of this group felt I was in the wrong, I
>> apologize.

> I certainly appreciate your civility, but...

....but you are still upset I started the thread. I can see that, but I did
not expect that type of reaction when I wrote the post. I did not think I
was doing anything wrong and it certainly was not my intent to break any
social conventions regarding posting to this newsgroup.

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/
Multiple Domain Hosting and Reseller Hosting Plans
Promotional Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

Loki

il Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:10:52 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Edward Alfert wrote:
> > Brian Mailman > wrote in
> > :

> >> Sure, how much do you pay for focus group participants?

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Yes, this is market research. Yes, it does benefit us. Yes, we are a
> > commercial venture.

> That's pretty obvious. Wasn't the question I asked.
>
> > If you feel that means we need to pay for your answer,

> I get paid for my opinions, usually. I come here to share whatever
> expertise I have and to gain some from other.
>
> > then I respect your view. But, this request for information does not
> > provide compensation other than a "thank you".

> Well, see the "rec"? It means "recreation" not "business."
>
> From the charter:
>
> "From Thu Aug 25 10:39:36 1994
> Control: newgroup rec.food.preserving
> Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
> From:
(David C Lawrence)
> Subject: newgroup rec.food.preserving
> Sender:
(David C Lawrence)
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 14:33:18 GMT
>
> rec.food.preserving is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote
> for creation by 281:31 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 19 Aug
> 1994.
>
> For your newsgroups file:
> rec.food.preserving Preserving foodstuffs, herbs, and medicinals.
>
> The charter, culled from the call for votes:
>
> ...questions should be limited to home-grown items or
> home-made preserved items."
>
> Aside from the name, this should indicate this is a non-commercial
> newsgroup.
>
> > If someone is kind enough to give us their opinions we are very grateful.
> > If someone does not, that is fine too. Thank you to all that freely share
> > their view.

> The key word is "share." What are you sharing? Taking, but not giving.
>
> B/

Gee, relax a little. None of us would have replied if we hadn't
wanted to. I mean this guy is actually replying with actual comments,
that's more than I ever got from the phone surveys
--
Cheers,

Loki

il Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:10:52 -0800, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Edward Alfert wrote:
> > Brian Mailman > wrote in
> > :

> >> Sure, how much do you pay for focus group participants?

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Yes, this is market research. Yes, it does benefit us. Yes, we are a
> > commercial venture.

> That's pretty obvious. Wasn't the question I asked.
>
> > If you feel that means we need to pay for your answer,

> I get paid for my opinions, usually. I come here to share whatever
> expertise I have and to gain some from other.
>
> > then I respect your view. But, this request for information does not
> > provide compensation other than a "thank you".

> Well, see the "rec"? It means "recreation" not "business."
>
> From the charter:
>
> "From Thu Aug 25 10:39:36 1994
> Control: newgroup rec.food.preserving
> Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
> From:
(David C Lawrence)
> Subject: newgroup rec.food.preserving
> Sender:
(David C Lawrence)
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 14:33:18 GMT
>
> rec.food.preserving is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote
> for creation by 281:31 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 19 Aug
> 1994.
>
> For your newsgroups file:
> rec.food.preserving Preserving foodstuffs, herbs, and medicinals.
>
> The charter, culled from the call for votes:
>
> ...questions should be limited to home-grown items or
> home-made preserved items."
>
> Aside from the name, this should indicate this is a non-commercial
> newsgroup.
>
> > If someone is kind enough to give us their opinions we are very grateful.
> > If someone does not, that is fine too. Thank you to all that freely share
> > their view.

> The key word is "share." What are you sharing? Taking, but not giving.
>
> B/

Gee, relax a little. None of us would have replied if we hadn't
wanted to. I mean this guy is actually replying with actual comments,
that's more than I ever got from the phone surveys
--
Cheers,

George Shirley

Don't worry too much about it Edward. Brian Mailman doesn't speak for
all of us. He has the option of not responding to your posts just like
everyone else does. While your post has a commercial intent it didn't
ruffle my drawers by being posted here. Sometimes we can actually help a
commercial venture go in the right direction. If it were blatant
advertising you wouldn't have gotten any posts except the ones that
would chide you for invading our space. Brian is a valued poster but is
sometimes acerbic, he'll get over it.

George

Edward Alfert wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
>
>>"spam" in a Usenet sense has little to do
>>with "promoting a company." Google for "Breidbart Index" and "BI > 20"

> I did not know about BI and did google for it. From what I read, it is
> used to calculate the probability that a particular message has been cross-
> posted too to many groups or re-posted to the same group too many times.
>
> I don't see this apply to my post. But I do see your point about "usenet
> spam" refering to "junk messages" instead of "unsolicited commercial
> messages".
>

>>Trust and respect are the coin of this land--if Barb "Melba's Jamming"
>>knew that I as a food writer/recipe developer was taking her recipes and
>>profiting from them would she be posting? Would I post my hints, tips,
>>and techniques freely if I knew someone was profiting off them?

> I was very upfront on why I was asking. I think I established the trust
> part of the equation. Yet "Melba's Jamming" and others responded because
> they did not mind me "profiting" from their response. I understand others
> read my post and did not respond because they did not want me to "profit"
> by their responses.
>

>>>If you and any other member of this group felt I was in the wrong, I
>>>apologize.

>>I certainly appreciate your civility, but...

> ...but you are still upset I started the thread. I can see that, but I did
> not expect that type of reaction when I wrote the post. I did not think I
> was doing anything wrong and it certainly was not my intent to break any
> social conventions regarding posting to this newsgroup.

George Shirley

:

>>>Hi Brian,
>>>
>>>Yes, this is market research. Yes, it does benefit us. Yes, we are a
>>>commercial venture.

>>That's pretty obvious. Wasn't the question I asked.
>>

>>>If you feel that means we need to pay for your answer,

>>I get paid for my opinions, usually. I come here to share whatever
>>expertise I have and to gain some from other.
>>

>>>then I respect your view. But, this request for information does not
>>>provide compensation other than a "thank you".

>>Well, see the "rec"? It means "recreation" not "business."
>>
>> From the charter:
>>
>>"From Thu Aug 25 10:39:36 1994
>>Control: newgroup rec.food.preserving
>>Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
>>From:
(David C Lawrence)
>>Subject: newgroup rec.food.preserving
>>Sender:
(David C Lawrence)
>>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 14:33:18 GMT
>>
>>rec.food.preserving is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote
>>for creation by 281:31 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 19 Aug
>>1994.
>>
>>For your newsgroups file:
>>rec.food.preserving Preserving foodstuffs, herbs, and medicinals.
>>
>>The charter, culled from the call for votes:
>>
>>...questions should be limited to home-grown items or
>>home-made preserved items."
>>
>>Aside from the name, this should indicate this is a non-commercial
>>newsgroup.
>>

>>>If someone is kind enough to give us their opinions we are very grateful.
>>>If someone does not, that is fine too. Thank you to all that freely share
>>>their view.

>>The key word is "share." What are you sharing? Taking, but not giving.
>>
>>B/

> Gee, relax a little. None of us would have replied if we hadn't
> wanted to. I mean this guy is actually replying with actual comments,
> that's more than I ever got from the phone surveys

Not only that but you're scaring some of us Brian. Do you realize how
much you sound like Eric Decker when you get into this mode? <VBG>

George

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 01:28:45p, Edward Alfert tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> ...but you are still upset I started the thread. I can see that, but I
> did not expect that type of reaction when I wrote the post. I did not
> think I was doing anything wrong and it certainly was not my intent to
> break any social conventions regarding posting to this newsgroup.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! <G>

The only reason I didn't respond to your post was that I didn't really have
anything to offer.

Good luck with your endeavor...

Wayne
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Loki"
> wrote:
(snippage - go ahead, figure out who said what)
> > ...questions should be limited to home-grown items or home-made
> > preserved items."
> >
> > Aside from the name, this should indicate this is a non-commercial
> > newsgroup.
> >
> > > If someone is kind enough to give us their opinions we are very
> > > grateful. If someone does not, that is fine too. Thank you to
> > > all that freely share their view.

> > The key word is "share." What are you sharing? Taking, but not
> > giving.
> >
> > B/

> Gee, relax a little. None of us would have replied if we hadn't
> wanted to. I mean this guy is actually replying with actual comments,
> that's more than I ever got from the phone surveys

Hey, Loki -- I don't mind the questions from Whatshisname, but Brian
raises valid issues. I'm thinking my next post will be to ask Mr.
Alfert to talk to me by email.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Edward
Alfert > wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote in
> :

(more snippage)

> > Trust and respect are the coin of this land--if Barb "Melba's
> > Jamming" knew that I as a food writer/recipe developer was taking
> > her recipes and profiting from them would she be posting?

Maybe, but she wouldn't be telling ALL she knows. "-)

> I was very upfront on why I was asking. I think I established the
> trust part of the equation. Yet "Melba's Jamming"

That'd be "Jammin'," Sonny. Or Barb. :-)

> and others responded because they did not mind me "profiting" from
> their response. I understand others read my post and did not respond
> because they did not want me to "profit" by their responses.

Or we weren't as sharp as Brian about recognizing your true motives. I
should have picked up on the "probe and clarify" questions. "-)

Edward: How's about you contact me via email if you want any more
opinions from me. barbinvest right there at yahoo dot com should work.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
Edward Alfert

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:thisisbogus-
:

<snip>
> Or we weren't as sharp as Brian about recognizing your true motives.

> should have picked up on the "probe and clarify" questions. "-)

<snip>

I don't think I tried to trick anyone by saying I was "researching the
home food preservation market for a possible online business venture for
a company that currently only sells to the local." That is what I am
doing.

But let's close this thread since it seems to have touched a nerve and I
do not want to cause any more conflict.

Brian, I'm sorry for starting this thread that is OT in this group.

Melba's Jammin', thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry if you feel
you were tricked.

George, sorry for causing Brian to scare you.

Wayne, thanks for the support but I now believe Brian is correct.

Loki, thank you for your feedback and for posting a support message, but
I was wrong.

The Joneses, thank you for your feedback.

Julie, thank you for your feedback.

The Cook, thank you for your feedback.

Anny, thank you for your feedback.

Ken, don't top post!

To anyone else that disliked my posting a message related to our
possible online business venture, sorry you had to waste bandwidth and
time to download these OT messages.

Again, please lets close this thread so that no more bandwidth is
wasted. This will be my last post in this thread. If I do not respond
to any messages in this thread, it is not because I am ignoring you, but
it is to avoid any more conflict and because the thread should never
have been started in the first place.

SORRY!

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/
Multiple Domain Hosting and Reseller Hosting Plans
Promotional Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

Julie Bove

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> (grin> Ah, I do more business with Lands' End than any other online
> merchant. I know their merchandise and know that their sizes fit me!
> And with the outfit that makes my underpinnings. I've seen what I want
> locally and can save 30-40% online -- including shipping. If I had to
> pay return postage for an item, I'd probably re-consider. As it
> happens, I've a Lands' End inlet near me (and I think all Sears stores
> will now take Lands' End returns, too) as well as a shop that carries my
> brand of underpinnings.

I buy a lot from them too. And Coldwater Creek. Good quality and the stuff
always fits! I very rarely shop for clothing in brick and mortar stores.
Too time consuming to find exactly what I'm looking for. I can usually find
it online very quickly. And I've only rarely bought things that don't fit
me. But it's really not a problem if they don't. Both my mom and mother in
law have legs shorter than mine, but we're the same around the waist. So if
the pants are too short, I just pass them on to one of them. Anything else
I just pass on to charity. I buy my shoes online too since I am particular
to brand. And the places where I shop are good to tell you if you need to
go up or down in size.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Edward Alfert wrote:
> > Brian Mailman > wrote in
> > :

> >> Sure, how much do you pay for focus group participants?

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Yes, this is market research. Yes, it does benefit us. Yes, we are a
> > commercial venture.

> That's pretty obvious. Wasn't the question I asked.
>
> > If you feel that means we need to pay for your answer,

> I get paid for my opinions, usually. I come here to share whatever
> expertise I have and to gain some from other.

<snip>

I usually get paid too. If not money, then a free product.

--
See my webpage:

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Anny
> Middon" > wrote:
> (snip)
> >
> > Which leads to a couple of suggestions for you:
> >
> > 1. Consider offering cookbooks as part of your product line. I'll
> > bet there are church groups and women's clubs and the like out there
> > who have done canning cookbooks or general cookbooks with extensive
> > sections on canning. Since these are usually fundraising activities
> > for the groups, I imagine they would be glad to get a good online
> > retail outlet. And of course cooks like me would be glad to get a
> > good source for these books, which often have the best recipes.

> No offense, Anny, but they also usually have the worst processing
> information. Which might be misleading to a new canner. JAT.

I'm embarrassed I didn't even think of that. I guess I'm used to reviewing
recipes for safety and processing differently when I think they need it.
Case in point -- I recently bought a book I really like, in which the writer
talks about her life and intersperses the text with jam recipes (she started
a gourmet jam business after her husband died). But she uses the inversion
method, so if I ever make any of her recipes -- and I probably will since
some sound delicious -- I'll BWB process.

Which leads to another point -- I think any website that specializes in
canning products should include information on safe processing. The US Dept
of Ag guide is readily available in PDF format and not copyrighted, so the
site should offer that for download. The site should also have prominently
displayed a precis of safe canning guidelines -- follow recipes exactly,
pressure can vegetables and meats, etc.

Anny

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:

(snippage)
> > Hey... a good jam always has a little acid to it. btw, I think Eric
> > Decker was a bit before my time. What's that about?

> Do a Google search on this newsgroup and put his name in. You'll see. He
> was the self-appointed net cop, guru of the group, keeper of the FAQ,
> and general pain in the butt for awhile. He really was sort of scary.

You can even narrow the search to about May, 2003.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
Judith Umbria

Barb, I cannot email you at thisis bogus@ whatever it says. I also couldn't
find an email button on your site. My email is not bogus but doesn't reach
my computer, thanks to a competition issue among providers.

I think GoogleGroups is offline again John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 3 30-07-2011 06:21 AM
Jeff Leve Offline Bill S. Wine 0 03-07-2011 03:24 PM
TN: Deuxieme offline at SipSak DaleW Wine 0 22-05-2006 03:53 PM
TN: Hidden wines (off vintage offline) Dale Williams Wine 0 17-10-2004 06:13 PM
TN: NYC offline/potluck Dale Williams Wine 20 18-12-2003 11:23 PM