William R. Watt

Default mulberry jelly?

reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me of a
mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid content
it might have.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Bob (this one)

William R. Watt wrote:

> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me of a
> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid content
> it might have.

Mulberries are very bland in jelly unless combined with other fruit. I
added pectin to get it to gel. Lemon juice, too.

I once made mulberry wine jelly and it was good.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

William R. Watt wrote:

> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me of a
> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid content
> it might have.

Mulberries are very bland in jelly unless combined with other fruit. I
added pectin to get it to gel. Lemon juice, too.

I once made mulberry wine jelly and it was good.

Pastorio

George Shirley

Bob (this one) wrote:

> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me
>> of a
>> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
>> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid
>> content
>> it might have.

> Mulberries are very bland in jelly unless combined with other fruit. I
> added pectin to get it to gel. Lemon juice, too.
>
> I once made mulberry wine jelly and it was good.
>
> Pastorio

I don't know about where y'all live but down here you have to submerge
them in water and let the mulberry worms float off to use the fruit.
Takes a good bit of sugar IMHO to get a decent jelly out of them, same
with pies.

George

George Shirley

Bob (this one) wrote:

> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me
>> of a
>> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
>> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid
>> content
>> it might have.

> Mulberries are very bland in jelly unless combined with other fruit. I
> added pectin to get it to gel. Lemon juice, too.
>
> I once made mulberry wine jelly and it was good.
>
> Pastorio

I don't know about where y'all live but down here you have to submerge
them in water and let the mulberry worms float off to use the fruit.
Takes a good bit of sugar IMHO to get a decent jelly out of them, same
with pies.

George

zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me of a
> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid content
> it might have.

I thought mulberries just tasted purple. You gotta add lots of sugar
and lemon juice, and they end up tasting like purple lemonade.

Bob
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me of a
> mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near here. Has
> anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin and acid content
> it might have.

I thought mulberries just tasted purple. You gotta add lots of sugar
and lemon juice, and they end up tasting like purple lemonade.

Bob
Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread
>> reminded me of a mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village
>> post office near here. Has anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering
>> what sort of pectin and acid content it might have.
>>

> I thought mulberries just tasted purple.

Uh-uh. The white ones just taste white.

> You gotta add lots of sugar and lemon juice, and they end up
> tasting like purple lemonade.

With tiny little pits and little worms...

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread
>> reminded me of a mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village
>> post office near here. Has anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering
>> what sort of pectin and acid content it might have.
>>

> I thought mulberries just tasted purple.

Uh-uh. The white ones just taste white.

> You gotta add lots of sugar and lemon juice, and they end up
> tasting like purple lemonade.

With tiny little pits and little worms...

No, seriously...

Pastorio

George Shirley

Bob (this one) wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> William R. Watt wrote:
>>
>>> reading about the KFC crabapple jelly in the other thread reminded me
>>> of a mulberry tree in the parking lot of a village post office near
>>> here. Has anyone made mulberry jelly? Wondering what sort of pectin
>>> and acid content it might have.
>>>

>> I thought mulberries just tasted purple.

> Uh-uh. The white ones just taste white.
>
>> You gotta add lots of sugar and lemon juice, and they end up
>> tasting like purple lemonade.

> With tiny little pits and little worms...
>
> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

Make a terrible wine too. When I was a kid we loved tossing them at
people to see how big a purple splotch they would make. Hogs will eat
them, chickens and squirrels won't, neither will some birds but most
birds will eat them up and then make purple blotches on anyone they fly
over. Considered an invasive pest where I grew up.

George

Mulberry leaves Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 17-05-2008 06:24 PM
Mulberry Annie [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-11-2007 02:12 AM
Mulberry Bayswater [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-11-2007 02:04 AM
Mulberry New Oscar [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-11-2007 01:50 AM
Smoking With Mulberry. Manylives Barbecue 4 05-04-2005 02:58 AM