FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Canning ham (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/51800-canning-ham.html)

Dwayne 13-01-2005 03:25 PM

Canning ham

I have an opportunity to buy some picnic hans at a reasonable price. How
stupid would it be for me to buy several, cut them up and can them?

Would canning ham change the flavor to the point that we might not like it?
Have any of you tried it and had any luck with it? Please give me your
advice and suggestions (even recipes if you have them). Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

Woodsrunner 13-01-2005 09:38 PM

I would think that would cook the flavor out of the ham. If, upon opening
a jar, you used the broth in a dish or gravy to be eaten with the ham then
it wouldn't be a total waste.

. ..

Woodsrunner 13-01-2005 09:38 PM

I would think that would cook the flavor out of the ham. If, upon opening
a jar, you used the broth in a dish or gravy to be eaten with the ham then
it wouldn't be a total waste.

. ..

Dwayne 16-01-2005 02:47 AM

"Alan Moorman" > wrote in message >>
> I've had canned ham that I've bought at the store, and it tastes OK.
>
> Don't know what kind of container you would use, and how you would cook it
> to can it, though. . . .
>

> Alan Moorman
>
> The only reason some people get lost in thought
> is because it's unfamiliar territory.
>
> Paul Fix

I had planned on putting it in pint jars by itself or in quart jars with
pinto beans.

I live where they raise pinto beans and you wouldnt believe the difference
in the taste of new versus stored beans. So far I have canned approx 12
quarts and 10 pints of beans and breans mixed with prok steak. I have
received nothing but compliments on how good they are.

I appreciate your opinions.

Dwayne

=================================

Faye 27-01-2005 08:41 PM

I canned some ham in quart jars. Turned out really well but the flavor of
the ham is in the broth so you would have to use that in what ever you
cooked like pinto beans, which wouldn't be a bad idea.
Faye

. ..

Dwayne 01-02-2005 02:40 AM

Thanks. I tried it and the ham tastes good, but reminds me of the C Rations
we ate in the Air Force. I enjoyed it then and it is good now. I also put
some in pinto beans while I canned them and they both came out really good.

The most important thing I learned about this project, is to give our beans
about 2 inches of head space. Even though I soaked them for 36 hours, they
still absorbed the water I put in the jars and lowered the fluid level in
the jar. Those with two inch headspace, came out nearly perfect.

Dwayne