zxcvbob

Default Bad wine, good?

Eddie wrote:
> Hi, I was directed to this group. I posted the below to
> alt.binaries.food.
>
> "I have some wine that went bad. According to my sister, who is a
> wine expert, she said not to drink it (I'm not) and not to use it in
> cooking. But is it good for steaming? Well, I used some to steam
> some mussels and they tasted great. She said: One thing that can make
> a wine go bad is exposure to air and growth of bacteria. If you don't
> mind steaming your food with bacteria laden wine...go for it.
> Now I'm scared. You guys think even steaming with bad wine is bad?
> Awaiting second opinion."
>

> One reply says:
> "I'm not smart enough to answer that but do know where to look. Post
> your question over at rec.food.preserving. There is a guy named zcfbob
> that is like totally FDA or something."
>
> Another reply, which makes sense to me:
> "If we did not have bacteria, we would die. Your sister may be a wine
> expert, but she is not a science expert. Bringing wine to the boiling
> point also kills bacteria, both the good and the bad. Give your
> sister a nice piece of blue cheese as a thank you."
>
> I'm not into preserving, so would appreciate email reply with your
> opinion.
>
> Thank you much
> Eddie in San Jose

Oh Sh!, someone thinks I'm a Fed. ;-)

What's wrong with the wine? Has it started to turn to vinegar? What
does it taste like? (how do you know it's bad if you didn't taste it?)

You're sister sounds like a nut. If the wine is really awful, the food
will taste bad if you cook with it. That's pretty much it. There's not
a lot of danger involved. The bacteria (if any) are irrelevant.

Best regards,
Bob <-- has no credentials whatsoever

William R. Watt

If it's vinegar the acid will prevent the growth of bacteria. That's why
pickles are pickled in vinegar. I have some cider vinegar from not putting
the top on tight. It's used in cooking wherever acid is called for.

I've never had a problem drinking off wine. I only throw it out if it
fails the US Marine Corps taste test. You might keep it on hand to get rid
of unwanted relatives.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Charlie

William R. Watt wrote:
> I've never had a problem drinking off wine. I only throw it out
> if it fails the US Marine Corps taste test.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how does one conduct a US Marine Corps
taste test?

- Charlie in Norman OK

George Shirley

Charlie wrote:
> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>>I've never had a problem drinking off wine. I only throw it out
>>if it fails the US Marine Corps taste test.

> I'm almost afraid to ask, but how does one conduct a US Marine Corps
> taste test?
>
> - Charlie in Norman OK

I'm curious too Charlie, the only thing I ever saw that a Marine
wouldn't drink was stale urine, I mean really, really stale too.

George, ex-Navy among other things <VBG>

Craig Watts

>Eddie wrote:
>> Hi, I was directed to this group. I posted the below to
>> alt.binaries.food.
>>
>> "I have some wine that went bad. According to my sister, who is a
>> wine expert, she said not to drink it (I'm not) and not to use it in
>> cooking. But is it good for steaming? Well, I used some to steam
>> some mussels and they tasted great. She said: One thing that can make
>> a wine go bad is exposure to air and growth of bacteria. If you don't
>> mind steaming your food with bacteria laden wine...go for it.
>> Now I'm scared. You guys think even steaming with bad wine is bad?
>> Awaiting second opinion."
>>

>> One reply says:
>> "I'm not smart enough to answer that but do know where to look. Post
>> your question over at rec.food.preserving. There is a guy named zcfbob
>> that is like totally FDA or something."

<snip>

<<<< sorry>>>>>>>>

but that was me. You've proved yourself more than once zcfBob

>Oh Sh!, someone thinks I'm a Fed. ;-)
>
>What's wrong with the wine? Has it started to turn to vinegar? What
>does it taste like? (how do you know it's bad if you didn't taste it?)
>
>You're sister sounds like a nut. If the wine is really awful, the food
>will taste bad if you cook with it. That's pretty much it. There's not
>a lot of danger involved. The bacteria (if any) are irrelevant.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob <-- has no credentials whatsoever

Thanks for helping Bob.

Craig Watts

Craig Watts

>Eddie wrote:
>> Hi, I was directed to this group. I posted the below to
>> alt.binaries.food.
>>
>> "I have some wine that went bad. According to my sister, who is a
>> wine expert, she said not to drink it (I'm not) and not to use it in
>> cooking. But is it good for steaming? Well, I used some to steam
>> some mussels and they tasted great. She said: One thing that can make
>> a wine go bad is exposure to air and growth of bacteria. If you don't
>> mind steaming your food with bacteria laden wine...go for it.
>> Now I'm scared. You guys think even steaming with bad wine is bad?
>> Awaiting second opinion."
>>

>> One reply says:
>> "I'm not smart enough to answer that but do know where to look. Post
>> your question over at rec.food.preserving. There is a guy named zcfbob
>> that is like totally FDA or something."

<snip>

<<<< sorry>>>>>>>>

but that was me. You've proved yourself more than once zcfBob

>Oh Sh!, someone thinks I'm a Fed. ;-)
>
>What's wrong with the wine? Has it started to turn to vinegar? What
>does it taste like? (how do you know it's bad if you didn't taste it?)
>
>You're sister sounds like a nut. If the wine is really awful, the food
>will taste bad if you cook with it. That's pretty much it. There's not
>a lot of danger involved. The bacteria (if any) are irrelevant.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob <-- has no credentials whatsoever

Thanks for helping Bob.

Craig Watts

WoW that was good Wine!!! nc3bj6yp Wine 4 13-09-2007 04:48 AM
Some good wine Wine Hedonist Wine 8 20-08-2006 06:35 AM
Bad wine, good? Michael Pronay Wine 28 10-01-2005 11:26 PM
Good wine Mel Wine 28 20-11-2003 08:08 PM
Are there good websites to learn about Wine / Wine Industry VIJAY Winemaking 0 03-10-2003 06:43 AM