FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   FROZEN FOOD USE BY DATES (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/47298-frozen-food-use-dates.html)

Ken Knott 11-12-2004 10:54 AM

FROZEN FOOD USE BY DATES

Is there any danger in eating frozen food which is out of date? This
may sound a silly question, but my understanding of the processes
involved is that:

Freezing prevents any bacteria from multiplying.
Cooking thoroughly kills any bacteria that might be present.

If I am right there doesn't seem to be any reason for not eating the
food, but I don't want to make people ill!

Am I missing something here that I aught to know about food poisoning?

zxcvbob 11-12-2004 03:38 PM

Ken Knott wrote:
> Is there any danger in eating frozen food which is out of date?

The only danger is if it was spoiled before it was frozen, or thawed and
refrozen a bunch of times.

The "use by" date means almost nothing for frozen foods.

Bob

zxcvbob 11-12-2004 03:38 PM

ellen wickberg 11-12-2004 06:40 PM

in article , zxcvbob at
wrote on 11/12/04 6:38 AM:

> Ken Knott wrote:
>> Is there any danger in eating frozen food which is out of date?

> The only danger is if it was spoiled before it was frozen, or thawed and
> refrozen a bunch of times.
>
> The "use by" date means almost nothing for frozen foods.
>
> Bob

I think that this is a quality, not safety issue.
Ellen

ellen wickberg 11-12-2004 06:40 PM

in article , zxcvbob at

Melba's Jammin' 11-12-2004 07:39 PM

In article >,
(Ken Knott) wrote:

> Is there any danger in eating frozen food which is out of date? This
> may sound a silly question, but my understanding of the processes
> involved is that:
>
> Freezing prevents any bacteria from multiplying.

I don't think it prevents them from multiplying, but it does SLOW the
process enormously.

No danger that I know of -- depending on how far past the expiry date,
there may be some loss of quality. Still wholesome to eat, though.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.

Melba's Jammin' 11-12-2004 07:39 PM

William R. Watt 12-12-2004 05:02 PM

Food abandoned by early arctic exploration expeditions has been discovered
decades later and found to be good. I have to admit the only food I can
recall being tasted was canned corned beef. I don't recall what
any of the others were.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Derek Lyons 12-12-2004 09:00 PM

(William R. Watt) wrote:
>Food abandoned by early arctic exploration expeditions has been discovered
>decades later and found to be good. I have to admit the only food I can
>recall being tasted was canned corned beef. I don't recall what
>any of the others were.

The key difference being that they were not in a 'frost free'
enviroment, but a constant and extreme cold.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Derek Lyons 12-12-2004 09:00 PM

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:47 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:48 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:50 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:50 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:52 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.

[email protected] 15-12-2004 12:52 AM

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and advice.