FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Leftovers from making jelly? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/452429-re-leftovers-making-jelly.html)

Diane Holycross 22-10-2020 07:18 PM

Leftovers from making jelly?

On Monday, July 6, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, lew matt wrote:
> It works the other way around too. You can make jelly or jam out of
> leftover seedless pulp from which you made wine. I use the golden rasins
> from my apple cider wine to make an apple-rasin jam. Yummy!
> Lew
> --
> White Buck Farm >
> Sustainable agriculture with your support.
> WHITE BUCK FARMS IS AN ORGANIC GROWER
> E-mail us for our current price list for jams, jellies, preserves, relishes
> and pickles.
> Kimberly R Smith > wrote in article
> > This sounds like a good idea. Would you (or anyone else) mind posting
> > some recipes?
> >
> > -Kim
> >
> > D. Landrum wrote:
> > >
> > > I used some strawberry and blackberry pulp to make wine last year and

> it
> > > turned out a very light tasting wine. I was pleased with the results.
> > >
> > > Donna
> > >
> > > --
> > > D. Landrum
> > >
> > > http://www.netpathway.com/~landrum

> strain

I actually use the pulp when I make my grape jam; not jelly. First, a crush the grapes and cook them down as you would for extracting the grape juice for jelly, then I run what is left; the grape, including the seeds through a food mill. It's the same one that I use to make my tomato sauce.
I prefer the jam over jelly. It's opaque and has a nice texture and is more nutritious. It also contains more fiber. The best part is you will get double the amount for preserving; more jars can be filled. Also, you will only need to use the low-sugar pectin because you are extracting more sugar content.