Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default tomatoes

gobs of tomatoes. why we put in over 30 plants i
dunno. it wasn't what i planned.

with the shortage of lids/jars at the stores this
season it has been a bit of a scramble at times to
make sure we can put them up.

luckily we did manage to get some new jars the other
day so we may be set for another week or so of canning.

i have to call another store today to see if they
got some lids in or not.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:12:10 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

> with the shortage of lids/jars at the stores this
> season it has been a bit of a scramble at times to
> make sure we can put them up.

You can throw dead-ripe tomatoes into the freezer whole, and make
sauce out of them when you *like* having a hot fire in the kitchen.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:12:10 -0400, songbird >
> wrote:
>
>> with the shortage of lids/jars at the stores this
>> season it has been a bit of a scramble at times to
>> make sure we can put them up.

> You can throw dead-ripe tomatoes into the freezer whole, and make
> sauce out of them when you *like* having a hot fire in the kitchen.

not enough room in the freezer for 80lbs of tomatoes.

luckily we are ok for the next few pickings. that
may be enough. we'll see... i didn't get a chance
today to see if lids came in at one store, i'll try
to call them tomorrow.

songbird