Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Chokecherries!

Faye,
I harvested choke cherries for the first time last year and made yummy jelly as well as cherry syrup. You will need to crush the cherries to get the juice to make jelly similar to using grapes. The seeds are only poisonous if eaten in large quantities like apple seeds. A few wont hurt you but eating a large amount might give you a stomach ache. After I got my juice for jelly, I pressed the cherries through a colander to remove as much of the seeds as possible and to get a nice pulp. I added a small amount of honey and made fruit leather. Yummy! I have heard that you can dry the seeds and crush them to make flour but I havent found any good directions for doing this. Have fun!
Lynne