Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default The 25th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - 2019 Results

As I said in my list of 2018 ribbons won, sometimes you're the mop,
sometimes you're the floor. In 2017, I was the floor. Last year (2018
competitions) I was the mop. This year I was the mop!! Yeay!! Seven
blue ribbons and the plaque for being the best canner for the ninth
time since it has been awarded. Life has changed here and I am pleased
with the results. The list:

First Place Blue Ribbons
Raspberry Jelly
Spiced Lemony Blueberry Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Bean Pickles *
Chili Sauce
Cherry-Rhubarb Jam

*The Bean Pickles also received a Sweepstakes ribbon for Best of Show
of all the various pickle types. It is the first year purple ribbons
have been awarded for canning.

Second Place Ribbon
Crab Apple Jelly

Third Place Ribbons
Plum Jelly
Bread & Butter Pickles
Watermelon Pickles

Fourth Place Ribbon
Cherry Jelly
Rhubarb Jam

Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
are so versatile.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default late tomatoes (was: The 25th...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

congrats!

> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.

that is all we do with them, tomato chunks, dunked
in hot water to release the skins and then peeled,
chunked and then sealed in the jars. no spices or
anything else added.

this year has been unusual, but we've done ok in
spite of the odd weather.

today was the last major picking of tomatoes and
we brought in six buckets worth and i'm just getting
ready to finish processing them after having rinsed
and sorted earlier.

a lot more waste than usual so i don't expect more
than 25-30 quarts from these - more likely 18-20 if
i have to throw a lot of them away.

the plants are still flowering and trying to put on
more fruits but i don't know how long the weather
will cooperate with them to finish them up.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <2019090412384146995-barbschaller@earthlinknet>
Melba's Jammin' > writes:

>Thanks for your indulgence.

No dirt chunks?

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when