FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Is there a FAQ about smoking food? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/445468-there-faq-about-smoking.html)

Nicodemus 30-12-2018 10:25 PM

Is there a FAQ about smoking food?

Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

Drew Lawson 31-12-2018 02:45 AM

Is there a FAQ about smoking food?

In article 5>
Nicodemus > writes:

>Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>
>Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
>also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

I do not know specifically, but the National Center for Home Food
Preservation does have a section on smoking. I don't do any smoking,
so I don't know how extensive it is.

<https://nchfp.uga.edu/>

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have

[email protected] 31-12-2018 09:55 PM

Is there a FAQ about smoking food?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
> wrote:

>Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
>also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

Here's a couple you can take a look at:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
https://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html

One of the best investments I've ever made for cold smoking or
supplementing hot smoke, was for a little gadget called the
A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8
https://www.amazenproducts.com/

Nicodemus 31-12-2018 10:39 PM

Is there a FAQ about smoking food?

lid (Drew Lawson) wrote in news:q0bvrf$vbh$1
@cloud.furrfu.com:

> In article 5>
> Nicodemus > writes:
>>

>>Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>>
>>Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
>>also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

> I do not know specifically, but the National Center for Home Food
> Preservation does have a section on smoking. I don't do any smoking,
> so I don't know how extensive it is.
>
> <https://nchfp.uga.edu/>

I checked out the site, there was 3 articles, the one for ham seemed very
dated.

Nicodemus 31-12-2018 10:44 PM

wrote in :

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
> > wrote:
>

>>Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>>Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
>>also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

> Here's a couple you can take a look at:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
> https://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html
>
> One of the best investments I've ever made for cold smoking or
> supplementing hot smoke, was for a little gadget called the
> A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8
> https://www.amazenproducts.com/

I bought a similar product, and I think that it is a great invention. When
I initially tried it, I did a dry run in a Weber kettle grill, got lots of
smoke, lasted for many hours, the outside temp was around 70, the grill got
pretty warm, I measured around 135 deg F, a bit warm for cold smoking
cheese.

I guess I have to keep looking for the bible of smoking meats.

notbob[_7_] 02-01-2019 02:08 AM

On 12/30/2018 3:25 PM, Nicodemus wrote:
> Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>
> Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
> also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

Google "cold smoke" (no quote marks). You'll get this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokin...)#Cold_smoking

We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
shed.

I've seen it done in an old disposed refrigerator.

The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.

nb

Nicodemus 04-01-2019 10:52 PM

notbob > wrote in :

> On 12/30/2018 3:25 PM, Nicodemus wrote:
>> Is there a FAQ about smoking food?
>>
>> Looking for proven cure ratios, cold smoke temps and hot smoking temps,
>> also information about the devices/equipment that can do this.

> Google "cold smoke" (no quote marks). You'll get this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokin...)#Cold_smoking
>
> We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
> smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
> we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
> IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
> About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
> shed.
>
> I've seen it done in an old disposed refrigerator.
>
> The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.
>
> nb

Nice! I found a web site that has a lot of good info, when the shtf food
and water will come in handy. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/

notbob[_7_] 05-01-2019 02:13 AM

On 1/4/2019 3:52 PM, Nicodemus wrote:

> notbob > wrote in :

>> We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
>> smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The shed
>> we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall slat.
>> IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit wood .
>> About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that drafty ol'
>> shed.

>> The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.

> Nice! I found a web site that has a lot of good info, when the shtf food
> and water will come in handy. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/

Good website.

I will admit we compensated a willing butcher to loan us his facilities.
Two "shares", which was 50 lbs. of finished sausages. The butcher
loaned us use of his VW-sized meat grinder and his 100lb "hydraulic"
sausage stuffer.

I got it all on VHS tape, except the smoking part, but I payed
attention. I've tasted similar products from refrigerators.

Cold smoking is easy, Jes "smoke it" in the Winter. ;)

nb

Nicodemus 06-01-2019 12:38 AM

notbob > wrote in :

> On 1/4/2019 3:52 PM, Nicodemus wrote:
>
>> notbob > wrote in :

>>> We (lotta ppl) cold smoked 600 lbs of homemade sausage. The cold
>>> smoking happened at approx 30-40 deg F (dead of Winter in CA). The
>>> shed we hung the sausage in had daylight showing between each wall
>>> slat. IOW, lotta air! The smoke was jes a bit o' smoldering fruit
>>> wood . About 2 arm-sized fruit tree limbs smoldering away in that
>>> drafty ol' shed.

>>> The sausage smoked fer almost 1 entire week.

>> Nice! I found a web site that has a lot of good info, when the shtf
>> food and water will come in handy. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/

> Good website.
>
> I will admit we compensated a willing butcher to loan us his
> facilities.
> Two "shares", which was 50 lbs. of finished sausages. The butcher
> loaned us use of his VW-sized meat grinder and his 100lb "hydraulic"
> sausage stuffer.
>
> I got it all on VHS tape, except the smoking part, but I payed
> attention. I've tasted similar products from refrigerators.
>
> Cold smoking is easy, Jes "smoke it" in the Winter. ;)
>
> nb

In Florida we have no real winter