Old 22-10-2018, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I'm now in the game

On 10/21/2018 2:53 PM, heyjoe wrote:

At the very least you'll need a rack in the
bottom of the Kuhn-Rikon.

My K-R did come with a rack for the bottom.

For pressure canning, adjusting for altitude
is done by adding weight (higher pressure), not increased processing
time, as in a boiling water bath.

That I cannot do w/ my K-R. There is a safety valve that will begin
venting at 17 psi, after that, the "soft-seal" will blow off (lotta
safety features on the K-R).

Thnx fer the info, hj.

nb

Old 23-10-2018, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 19:28:23 -0600, notbob wrote:

I jes couldn't get 1 inch
of water above my pint jars (half pint, yes!) in my current 5 qt
Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker.

In a pressure cooker, the water doesn't even have to *touch* the jars;
it's steam that does the job.

But in home equipment, enough water to be sure there will be steam to
the end will cover part of the jars.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old 24-10-2018, 03:41 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
notbob writes:

The BBB sez, "Remove the band. Gently try to remove the lid with your
fingertips. If the lid is concave and cannot be removed with your
fingertips, the jar is vacuum sealed". It goes on to explain how to
store "ringless" jars. I'm still learning.

In addition, leaving the rings on can trap water and lead to rust
on the lid. If things all line up, that can make the seal fail.
(I think I got that from USDA.) The only problem is figuring out
where to put all those rings. They're almost as bad as piling up
as wire hangers.

I'm not a food scientist, so I try to stick to the the official
recommendations, even though I know they are intentionally conservative.

I'll admit to still having some 3-year pasta sauce (tomato & meat,
pressure canned) that I'm still finishing off.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
Old 24-10-2018, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/24/2018 8:41 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

In addition, leaving the rings on can trap water and lead to rust
on the lid. If things all line up, that can make the seal fail.
(I think I got that from USDA.) The only problem is figuring out
where to put all those rings. They're almost as bad as piling up
as wire hangers.

Thnx fer the info, Drew.

I never had a problem w/ "wire hangers". Cut up, they're useful for so
many things. Now plastic hangers are a whole 'nother animal. 8|

nb

Old 13-02-2019, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2018-10-15 02:27:55 +0000, notbob said:

Jes bought a copy of the Ball Blue Book and got me some beets to put up.

Do I need a pressure cooker fer "pickled beets" or will white vinegar
(5% acidity)? I'm jes under 8,000 feet elevation.

I plan to "julienne" them and then pickle 'em.

nb

Didja look at the recipe in the BBB? :-)
If they're pickled you can process for x minutes (consider your
altitude) in a boiling water bath. How were they? (Mine won the blue
ribbon again at the 2018 MN State Fair. Still have never tasted them. )

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Old 13-02-2019, 12:26 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2018-10-15 02:27:55 +0000, notbob said:

Jes bought a copy of the Ball Blue Book and got me some beets to put up.

Do I need a pressure cooker fer "pickled beets" or will white vinegar
(5% acidity)? I'm jes under 8,000 feet elevation.

I plan to "julienne" them and then pickle 'em.

Didja look at the recipe in the BBB? :-)
If they're pickled you can process for x minutes (consider your
altitude) in a boiling water bath. How were they? (Mine won the blue
ribbon again at the 2018 MN State Fair. Still have never tasted them. )

lol...

we've stopped growing and pickling beets since
the main consumer of them no longer can eat them
(too much sugar). this is ok with me since it
then gives me more space for growing beans
(fresh, shellies and dry beans all are loved
here), tomatoes, squash, peppers, onions,
strawberries.

songbird (ready for spring

Handy Game World : New iPhone and iTouch Game Apps to Know About balinbase Recipes 0 18-11-2011 07:32 AM
The game is on. :o) Takin & Kanoknuan General Cooking 0 09-01-2011 04:00 PM
Game 3 Dimitri General Cooking 5 01-11-2010 07:42 PM
THE GAME THE HARD General Cooking 0 03-12-2007 12:34 AM