Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apricots

Driving back to CO from CA Tuesday we stopped in Palisade, Colorado's
agriculture center for fruit and wines. I bought a 20 lb box of
apricots which were turned into 40 jars of jam, 5 batches. I feel very
accomplished today except I have cleaned the counters three times and
they still feel a wee bit sticky to me.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:

> Driving back to CO from CA Tuesday we stopped in Palisade, Colorado's
> agriculture center for fruit and wines. I bought a 20 lb box of
> apricots which were turned into 40 jars of jam, 5 batches. I feel very
> accomplished today except I have cleaned the counters three times and
> they still feel a wee bit sticky to me.

mmm, love apricot jam.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 19:44:14 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

>Driving back to CO from CA Tuesday we stopped in Palisade, Colorado's
>agriculture center for fruit and wines. I bought a 20 lb box of
>apricots which were turned into 40 jars of jam, 5 batches. I feel very
>accomplished today except I have cleaned the counters three times and
>they still feel a wee bit sticky to me.
>
>gloria p

How is your tree?

I planted 2 apricots this year. Looking forward to a future with some
jam from them.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/24/2018 2:45 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 19:44:14 -0600, gloria p >
> wrote:
>

>> Driving back to CO from CA Tuesday we stopped in Palisade, Colorado's
>> agriculture center for fruit and wines. I bought a 20 lb box of
>> apricots which were turned into 40 jars of jam, 5 batches. I feel very
>> accomplished today except I have cleaned the counters three times and
>> they still feel a wee bit sticky to me.
>>
>> gloria p

> How is your tree?
>
> I planted 2 apricots this year. Looking forward to a future with some
> jam from them.

Our two trees, planted about 30 years ago, have produced only 4-5 crops
in all that time. They bloom too early and the blossoms or tiny fruit
get caught in snow or freezes (which can happen here till mid June) and
we get no fruit. When the weather does hold off, we get bushels and
have enough to make tons of jam plus lots of fruit for the neighbors.
It's funny to watch the squirrels run up the trees, pick a fruit, then
come down and up a nearby 30 ft. pine to eat it. We end up with piles
of pits below where they perch. The birds are somewhat interested, but
not nearly as much as they are in the cherry tree.
gp

Apricots MegaT Recipes 4 03-04-2013 08:29 AM
More APRICOTS gloria p Preserving 0 09-08-2012 09:26 PM
The last of the apricots? Gloria P Preserving 0 10-08-2008 12:17 AM
The last of the apricots Gloria P General Cooking 0 10-08-2008 12:16 AM
Apricots Koko General Cooking 8 17-07-2006 04:44 AM