Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Arizona State Fair Results

On 10/12/2017 5:03 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We aren't able to go to the fair as we are still on our mini-vacation.
Howver, I had a friend attend the fair on the 10th and review the food
exhibits.

Woo-Hoo!!! I was awarded a blue ribbon for my pickle entry but only a
third place for the strawberry preserves. They judged the preservrs as
too dark, but excellent on all other points. I'm not surprised about
that because the "sun process" typically produces a rather dark
preserve. The strawberries were uniformly whole and filled the jar
nicely along with the syrup, but the color was a very dark red. One
comment from the judges said the pickles were a very intresting
departure from usual process in this category. I assume he was
referring to the "candied" description and flavor. We'll be returning
on Saturday and we'will get to see everything for ourselves.

I have Xnews installed on a thumb drive, so was able to post on a hotel
PC.

Congratulations, next year at the fair you will need to outdo yourself.

The only ribbons at a fair I have gotten were for fancy rabbits, a very
long time ago. I think the ribbons are packed away some place. I do miss
not having cooked rabbit frequently but we can only have dogs and cats
here. I've eaten both when on a survival hike in the military but prefer
chicken and rabbit. G Oh yeah, snakes and turtles are tasty.

George

Old 15-10-2017, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 12 Oct 2017 08:04:30a, George Shirley told us...

[...]

Thanks, George!

Right now I'm thinking Sweet Chunky Tomato Jam, Picked Lemon Beets,
and a deparature with Boston Brown Bread w/Walnuts and brandy-soaked
Raisions, baked in wide-mouth and processed under pressure.

The only ribbons at a fair I have gotten were for fancy rabbits, a
very long time ago. I think the ribbons are packed away some
place. I do miss not having cooked rabbit frequently but we can
only have dogs and cats here. I've eaten both when on a survival
hike in the military but prefer chicken and rabbit. G Oh yeah,
snakes and turtles are tasty.

I don't think I cold do snakes or turtles, let alone dogs or cats.
However, I do like rabbit, especilly sothern fried as you would
chicken. :-)

I had a commercial rabbitry back in the sixties, sold the skins, sold
young rabbits for folks just starting (big thing back then), ate a lot
ourselves, showed them at fairs and rabbit shows all over Louisiana and
Texas, shipped a few to a rabbit show in California by train, won a blue
ribbon there. Time came when we had to move from the homestead and we
haven't had rabbits or eaten any since then, about the early eighties.
Here in LaLa land you can't have critters other than dogs and rats.
Occasionally the odd water snake will come up from the retention pond
and I eat them. G Raised on a ten acre farm in Orange Cty, Texas and
we ate whatever we could shoot, catch, or run down. Meals now are just
from grocery stores except for the small veggie garden in our small
backyard. Can't walk far so I can't go deer hunting or rabbit hunting.
One of my grandsons hunts and fishes and he says he will take me out for
that. Unfortunately he is an elevator mechanic and has to put in a lot
of overtime, helps his family though. The fairs here in Texas,
especially in Houston, are humongous and downtown. No way I'm going
there. Already petitioned the HOA to have a trio of rabbits and they
almost strangled to death saying no that quick. Heck, rabbits only
squeal when they're breeding or being slaughtered, hardly hear them. G
Old 19-10-2017, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 05:10:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

When I was a small child I was given a pair of baby rabbits (both
neutered). I raised them until they were nearly 10 years old, and
then my dad returned them to the breeder.

Is that a euphemism?
Old 19-10-2017, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 19 Oct 2017 06:59:29a, Boron told us...

wrote:

When I was a small child I was given a pair of baby rabbits (both
neutered). I raised them until they were nearly 10 years old, and
then my dad returned them to the breeder.

Is that a euphemism?

I guess I'm dense, but how do you mean that?

Other than plain kindness, it would be unusual for a breeder to take
back critters that age, especially ones who were neutered. So...I was
asking if what you were really saying was that they were put down.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 19 Oct 2017 10:27:54a, Boron told us...

wrote:

When I was a small child I was given a pair of baby rabbits
(both neutered). I raised them until they were nearly 10 years
old, and then my dad returned them to the breeder.

Is that a euphemism?

I guess I'm dense, but how do you mean that?

Other than plain kindness, it would be unusual for a breeder to
take back critters that age, especially ones who were neutered.
So...I was asking if what you were really saying was that they
were put down.

No, they weren't put down. They kept my rabbits as pets. The had
three other older rabbits they also kept as pets. My dad had known
this couple for a long time and they were very kind people.

Whew.

Arizona State Fair George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 07-10-2017 12:33 PM
Arizona State Fair songbird Preserving 6 20-09-2017 03:29 AM
Arizona State Fair Melba's Jammin' Preserving 1 18-09-2017 02:47 PM
"Our state fair is a great state fair. . . ." Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 25 19-08-2009 05:33 PM
Has the State of Arizona gone mad? BOB General Cooking 7 03-04-2006 08:22 PM