Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Arizona State Fair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have two entries registered for the upcoming Arizona State Fair.
> Unfortunately the foods section is sorely lacking, and practically
> nothing in pickling and preserving.
>
> I made a batch of Spiced Candied Dill Spears and a batch of sun-
> preserved Whole Strawberry Preserves. They both taste good to me and
> to friends I've given some to. Two pints of each will be submitted per
> their rules.

hm, spiced candied dill spears? sounds interesting.

> We'll see how that fare at the fair. :-)

good luck! if it is that sparse perhaps you can
score two blue ribbons.

around here lately it has been red pepper roasting
and putting up tomatoes in between bouts of picking and
shelling out the dry beans.

this is a quick snap pic of the early varieties of
beans:

http://www.anthive.com/img/beans/thm..._Beans_thm.jpg

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have two entries registered for the upcoming Arizona State Fair.
>> Unfortunately the foods section is sorely lacking, and practically
>> nothing in pickling and preserving.
>>
>> I made a batch of Spiced Candied Dill Spears and a batch of sun-
>> preserved Whole Strawberry Preserves. They both taste good to me and
>> to friends I've given some to. Two pints of each will be submitted per
>> their rules.

> hm, spiced candied dill spears? sounds interesting.
>

>> We'll see how that fare at the fair. :-)

> good luck! if it is that sparse perhaps you can
> score two blue ribbons.
>
> around here lately it has been red pepper roasting
> and putting up tomatoes in between bouts of picking and
> shelling out the dry beans.
>
> this is a quick snap pic of the early varieties of
> beans:
>
> http://www.anthive.com/img/beans/thm..._Beans_thm.jpg
>

> songbird

A vegetarian Noah's Ark with the beans going in 2 by 2

Mike

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/15/2017 6:50 AM, songbird wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have two entries registered for the upcoming Arizona State Fair.
>> Unfortunately the foods section is sorely lacking, and practically
>> nothing in pickling and preserving.
>>
>> I made a batch of Spiced Candied Dill Spears and a batch of sun-
>> preserved Whole Strawberry Preserves. They both taste good to me and
>> to friends I've given some to. Two pints of each will be submitted per
>> their rules.

> hm, spiced candied dill spears? sounds interesting.
>

>> We'll see how that fare at the fair. :-)

> good luck! if it is that sparse perhaps you can
> score two blue ribbons.
>
> around here lately it has been red pepper roasting
> and putting up tomatoes in between bouts of picking and
> shelling out the dry beans.
>
> this is a quick snap pic of the early varieties of
> beans:
>
> http://www.anthive.com/img/beans/thm..._Beans_thm.jpg
>

> songbird

Around here the summer garden is slowly dying and we haven't planted a
fall garden as yet. Not until the temps drop well below 90F will we plant.

Still getting the odd cantaloupe, small sweet peppers as the plants age,
cooked the last of the green beans while still small as the mother plant
was dying in the heat. The last of the figs are being picked daily and
the kumquat is doing well with lots of still green fruit. Miz Anne just
can't bear taking plants out until they actually die. Since she is the
boss gardener nowadays I just let her do what she wants. Still have a
few pears on the tree in the front yard that I hope will ripen before
frost. I'm amazed that any fruit is on that tree since it was frosted
well in the back to back January hard freezes but we will see. I ate the
only ripe one and it was tasty too. Otherwise, we will see what winter
will bring.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>songbird told us...
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I have two entries registered for the upcoming Arizona State
>>> Fair. Unfortunately the foods section is sorely lacking, and
>>> practically nothing in pickling and preserving.
>>>
>>> I made a batch of Spiced Candied Dill Spears and a batch of sun-
>>> preserved Whole Strawberry Preserves. They both taste good to me
>>> and to friends I've given some to. Two pints of each will be
>>> submitted per their rules.

>> hm, spiced candied dill spears? sounds interesting.
>>

>>> We'll see how that fare at the fair. :-)

>> good luck! if it is that sparse perhaps you can
>> score two blue ribbons.

> One never knows. I really entered just for kicks, but we really
> enjoy eating them.

>> around here lately it has been red pepper roasting
>> and putting up tomatoes in between bouts of picking and
>> shelling out the dry beans.
>>
>> this is a quick snap pic of the early varieties of
>> beans:
>>
>> http://www.anthive.com/img/beans/thm..._Beans_thm.jpg

> And they do look beautiful! I couldn't even begin to identify half
> of them. :-)

most of them are cross-breeds that have appeared over
the years (and more show up each season that i actually
plant). i don't close pollinate so what happens is what
nature does and what i select out from the seeds that i
harvest and then replant. thanks to the bees and other
pollinators and random chance.

in the picture there are five rows (from top to bottom and
left to right): (N - known named variety, C - cross breed,
S - selected from a named variety)

Top Row:

- C, purple cross
- N, yellow eye
- C, early yellow eye cross

2nd Row:

- N, appaloosa
- N, painted pony
- C, red
- C, brown
- C, yellow

3rd Row:

- C, spot
- C, solid

4th Row:

- S, dark (peregion)
- S, tan/brown (pinto)
- N, pinto
- S, dark stripe with specks (peregion)
- S, tan stripe (peregion)

5th Row:

- C, black
- C, purple
- C, matte red
- N, red ryder
- C, light purple
- C, dark grey/brown
- C, light grey
- C, red/brown
- C, brown
- C, red/yellow
- C, yellow
- C, light green
- N lima

i have a ton (i've given up counting) more varieties,
some named/common and others cross breeds. a few
varieties are gifts from friends or others that have
traded. i'm always looking for more. haha...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
> A vegetarian Noah's Ark with the beans going in 2 by 2

haha, trying to get one shot of the top and one of the
side, but some beans don't stand up well.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> That's an amazin collection! I nevr knew there were so many types.

lol, there's a zillion. i've just found another
site and am going to be sharing next spring in his
little bean collectors network. so it will get
more crazy.

http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/

i'm only scratching the surface of some 40,000
varieties. and each year there are more.

i keep learning/reading as i get time and
inspired.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> On Tue 19 Sep 2017 06:45:35a, songbird told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> That's an amazin collection! I nevr knew there were so many
>>> types.

>> lol, there's a zillion. i've just found another
>> site and am going to be sharing next spring in his
>> little bean collectors network. so it will get
>> more crazy.
>>
>> http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/
>>
>> i'm only scratching the surface of some 40,000
>> varieties. and each year there are more.
>>
>> i keep learning/reading as i get time and
>> inspired.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> Do you have room for 40,000 beans? :-)
>
> Acually, just kidding, but my knowledge of and use of various beans
> probably doesn't exceed a dozen varieties. I have no place to grown
> them, so I buy them dried or canned for whatever I plan to cook.
>
> I admoare your enthusiasm!

We only cook and eat the beans we like the most, mostly just plain old
beans of this and that type. May have to hunt up some different beans
now that I've seen songbird's vast types. Do any of them taste like
steak? <BG>

George, about to put this beat up old body to bed. I would have taken
better care of this body if I knew I was going to live this long.