Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default tomato season has begun, plinks...

last night picked the first round of
tomatoes and got them in the jars and
processed.

at first i thought it was going to be
only 12 quarts, but it ended up being 16.

all sealed up, dated and ready to be
put in the pantry.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2017 12:05 PM, songbird wrote:
> last night picked the first round of
> tomatoes and got them in the jars and
> processed.
>
> at first i thought it was going to be
> only 12 quarts, but it ended up being 16.
>
> all sealed up, dated and ready to be
> put in the pantry.
>

> songbird

Heat got ours in early August. May try some fall tomatoes, getting them
to ripen is going to be up to Ma Nature and when fall comes sneaking in
with ice.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Heat got ours in early August. May try some fall tomatoes, getting them
> to ripen is going to be up to Ma Nature and when fall comes sneaking in
> with ice.

90 days can be enough for some varieties.

we may have frosts as soon as within a few weeks,
but i'm hoping for longer.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2017 7:44 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Heat got ours in early August. May try some fall tomatoes, getting them
>> to ripen is going to be up to Ma Nature and when fall comes sneaking in
>> with ice.

> 90 days can be enough for some varieties.
>
> we may have frosts as soon as within a few weeks,
> but i'm hoping for longer.
>

> songbird

We will replant now the hurricane has moved on. We generally can get two
seasons if we don't get early frost. About all we're getting now are
cantaloupes, onions, etc. Will also plant green beans again as the
spring ones died in the heat. Just ate our last jar of last years green
beans.

A beautiful sunrise and sunset today, no rain or dark clouds. A lot of
folks downstream of us are in shelters all over the area and lots of
homes will have to be rebuilt. I have always searched for high ground to
buy or build a house and it has been working for about 57 years now.

Realtors usually don't like me. I check the exterior to the extreme, ask
for the plans, go into the attic, up on the roof, etc. They think I'm
nit picking and I am. Doing that we have never lost a home or found
deficiencies that were really bad.

When we bought our first real house I went in at end of day with
contractor and both of us carried sledge hammers. Crooked studs,
anything not in line or with rot, etc. got hammered out and the
carpenters had to redo it the next morning at their cost. A couple of
days like that and they built it the way we wanted it. That was 1963 and
the house is standing proudly. Drove by there two years ago and it still
looked like new.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2017 7:44 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Heat got ours in early August. May try some fall tomatoes, getting them
>> to ripen is going to be up to Ma Nature and when fall comes sneaking in
>> with ice.

> 90 days can be enough for some varieties.
>
> we may have frosts as soon as within a few weeks,
> but i'm hoping for longer.
>

> songbird

If we get frosts within a few weeks we will pass out. <VBG>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> If we get frosts within a few weeks we will pass out. <VBG>

i have to get out tomorrow and water.

not much rain that has gotten in the
ground lately and i've been so busy
working on my projects that i kinda
forgot to water. oops.

when picking the lima beans this
evening i noticed how dry things were
and that's not good.

hope it didn't ruin the crops...

red peppers looked good.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2017-08-30 17:05:15 +0000, songbird said:

> last night picked the first round of
> tomatoes and got them in the jars and
> processed.
>
> at first i thought it was going to be
> only 12 quarts, but it ended up being 16.
>
> all sealed up, dated and ready to be
> put in the pantry.
>

> songbird

That's a lot of jars from one picking. Holy crow. How many plants do
you have?
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2017-08-30 17:05:15 +0000, songbird said:
>
>> last night picked the first round of
>> tomatoes and got them in the jars and
>> processed.
>>
>> at first i thought it was going to be
>> only 12 quarts, but it ended up being 16.
>>
>> all sealed up, dated and ready to be
>> put in the pantry.

> That's a lot of jars from one picking. Holy crow. How many plants do
> you have?

14 plants this year (last year we had a lot
more - i talked Ma into downsizing). we usually
average about 10qts per plant by the end of the
season. i think this year it may be less than
that, but we'll see, there's still tomatoes
on the plants and warm weather to come. could
use some rain.

i looked back in the records to see how many
quarts i did at the most in a single day i think
it was about 39.

been busy picking beans and getting them
shelled out and the red peppers probably need
picking again. i've put a lot of roasted
red peppers in the freezer this year. yum!

i'm glad we also downsized on the squash
plantings. last year i picked five wheel
barrows full of squash (and had to put up many
of them). this year i'll be happy to only
pick a dozen or two.

how are you doing this year?

songbird

Tomato Season Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 127 05-08-2015 08:56 PM
more tomato plinks songbird Preserving 2 24-09-2013 11:48 AM
even more tomato plinks songbird Preserving 0 15-09-2013 10:44 AM
tomato plinks and peach jam questions songbird Preserving 13 03-09-2011 05:38 AM
Any one else have a bad tomato season? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 78 25-09-2009 12:55 AM