Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hurricane Harvey

We just topped 30 inches of rain according to the weather heads. I don't
think I've ever seen rain like that. 20 inches several times but not
this. Plus they're saying it is going to keep raining for the most of
this week if not more. Looks like Harvey is stalling out and we're on
the rain side. Our old home place in Louisiana seems to be getting
hammered with high winds and lots of rain too.

We had about five hours of no rain today and that allowed what was in
the detention pond to run on off the the creek some miles away but there
is a lot of flooding in Houston proper, Spring, and a few other Texas
town/cities nearby. Haven't seen anything on the news above where we are
but suspect some of the low lying places are flooded.

TV news has been showing rescue of people from their homes in Houston
and the close to Houston surroundings. Makes me happy that we looked for
a home on high ground when we moved here. I'm happy too that our
daughter and her kids bought homes on high ground. Just found out that
our son and his family moved from Kingwood to Memorial area in Houston
proper. He works at Texas Children's Hospital and that was a lot closer
than where he lived before.

It's getting really boring being rained in, luckily I had just checked
out five library books before the rain started. Plus we have
electricity, TV, phones, etc. No bumps or failures up here above the
coastal plain.

Having been a safety professional for many years it heartens me to see
how so many people are out saving lives, etc. Texans will do whatever
they can to help other people. Now I'm to old and beat up to go out
rescuing folks anymore but I can surely send them Hurrahs a lot.

No grocery stores open nearby gives me thanks that we grow and preserve
our own food, have two freezers, and closet full of preserved foods in
jars. We were both brought up to grow, preserve, and save what we need
to eat and to give to others who are without. If you believe, say a
prayer for the folks along the Texas coast. Thousands are now homeless.

We had four mourning doves shelter on our back porch today, first time I
have seen doves resting and drying out on a porch. Locked the dog door
and had Tilly go out the front door until they left.

George