FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Putting it by (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/441535-putting.html)

George Shirley[_3_] 23-07-2017 02:18 PM

Putting it by

Picked a peck of peppers, almost, yesterday afternoon, right before a
nice rain too. Washed,dried, processed and put the chopped peppers on a
flat pan and into the freezer. Just pulled them out and put into vacuum
bags, date went on above the seal. We now have ten more bags of goodness
for whatever we need them to go in.

Peppers are a standard in cooking around here. Lots of Vitamin C and
others to boot plus they taste good in about anything we cook. Probably
make a nice omelette when wife gets home from church with scrambled
eggs, bacon strips chopped and fried, then drained, and lots of peppers
and onion. Makes a hardy breakfast to carry us on into the afternoon.

A light rain yesterday and the possibilities for more rain this
afternoon and, maybe more rain to come during the week. We live in an
area of Harris Cty, Texas that doesn't get the amount of rain further
south of us toward the coast so we like it a lot. Water is expensive
otherwise.

Not much else coming out of the garden, figs are done and were scarce
due to some hard freezes at years start. Kumquats are starting to make
fruit to pick in the fall. Pear tree still has only one fruit but we
have hopes a hard freeze won't knock off the blooms early next year.

Gardening and preserving the fruits of the vine keep we two old people
busy and healthy. Even our dog is old, Miss Tilly Dawg turned ten years
old in May and is sleeping more and getting more gray hair than I have.
But she still loves everyone she meets so she's still a keeper.

George