Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Carrots

We put up six pints of spicy carrot sticks yesterday with garlic with
them. Our carrot crop this year was outstanding. Probably will freeze
some as rounds just for stews and soups. Most were at least two inches
in diameter at the top but only about four inches long. Very sweet and
tasty.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> On Fri 28 Apr 2017 03:45:55p, George Shirley told us...
>
>> We put up six pints of spicy carrot sticks yesterday with garlic
>> with them. Our carrot crop this year was outstanding. Probably
>> will freeze some as rounds just for stews and soups. Most were at
>> least two inches in diameter at the top but only about four inches
>> long. Very sweet and tasty.
>>
>> George
>>

> That sounds good, and I bet those home grown carrots are nice and
> sweet!
>
> Have you ever made carrot jam? It's very tasty.

Dang! Here I thought you were gone and here you are. Long time no talk.

Nope, never tried carrot jam, might do so now that I know it exists,
probably find a recipe in one of my many canning books.

How are you doing? We're still gardening and canning and trying to teach
the grands and great grands how to be independent and to stay away from
fast food. We have five grands and six great grands and three of the
grands haven't bred yet.

Miz Anne and I will be married 57 years come December 26th of this year.
We still argue a lot but we make it up later. <G> I'm pretty much out of
the garden business due to damage to my right leg and arm from all the
strokes years ago but I can still cook and can. Our pantry is full and
I'm urging the grands to come by and help us eat some of this stuff.
Good to hear from you Wayne, keep it up as there is not much movement on
this program. I'm thinking there's not much home canning going on
anymore or are we all dinosaurs.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Weather (was Carrots)

On 4/28/2017 4:45 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> We put up six pints of spicy carrot sticks yesterday with garlic with
> them. Our carrot crop this year was outstanding. Probably will freeze
> some as rounds just for stews and soups. Most were at least two inches
> in diameter at the top but only about four inches long. Very sweet and
> tasty.
>
> George

It always amazes me that you are near the end of your growing season
when we are still battling snow (two weeks ago, the day I flew to CA to
visit daughter's family.) Since I left, DH reports a couple of severe
hailstorms so our usual "after Mother's Day" planting advice didn't work
this year.

Of course, springtime in the Rockies brings our 7 day forecast to the
high 80s all next week.

In northern San Diego County, Daughter had a bowlful of fist-sized
lemons on the counter from her MIL's tree. We also harvested a fresh
pineapple from the potted plant that I started over a decade ago in my
dining room window. It moved to CA with her family seven years ago.
We also ate fresh snow peas every day, tiny carrots from thinnings, and
wonderful corn and strawberries thanks to the many farmers' markets.
I love it there.

Stay cool and healthy, George.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/1/2017 8:14 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 4/28/2017 4:45 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> We put up six pints of spicy carrot sticks yesterday with garlic with
>> them. Our carrot crop this year was outstanding. Probably will freeze
>> some as rounds just for stews and soups. Most were at least two inches
>> in diameter at the top but only about four inches long. Very sweet and
>> tasty.
>>
>> George

> It always amazes me that you are near the end of your growing season
> when we are still battling snow (two weeks ago, the day I flew to CA to
> visit daughter's family.) Since I left, DH reports a couple of severe
> hailstorms so our usual "after Mother's Day" planting advice didn't work
> this year.

Move south, we have a heavy fog this morning, probably due to the really
nice rain we had yesterday and last night. The gardens are perked up
nicely. We are getting temps in the high eighties to low nineties now.
AC runs day and night, electric bill is going up again.

> Of course, springtime in the Rockies brings our 7 day forecast to the
> high 80s all next week.
>
> In northern San Diego County, Daughter had a bowlful of fist-sized
> lemons on the counter from her MIL's tree. We also harvested a fresh
> pineapple from the potted plant that I started over a decade ago in my
> dining room window. It moved to CA with her family seven years ago.
> We also ate fresh snow peas every day, tiny carrots from thinnings, and
> wonderful corn and strawberries thanks to the many farmers' markets.
> I love it there.
>
> Stay cool and healthy, George.
>
> gloria p

I miss our lemon tree back in Louisiana. We started another one here but
the two day freeze last January got it. And we don't have any more seed.

Miss Tilly Dawg always gets me up early as she gets her only feeding in
the morning. She is snoozing on the couch in my office now, has had her
breakfast, gone outside to do her morning business. My little girl is
getting more gray on her muzzle every day. She turned ten years old in
May but is still spry. Miz Anne went to Maryland to surprise her eldest
brother who turned 80 two weeks ago. Had a good visit with her four
siblings and came home ready to garden.

My arthritis keeps me from gardening as I cannot bend over or squat
anymore and my tractor seat runabout doesn't help anymore. Bumper crop
of three sorts of tomatoes and the cukes are starting to make as are the
green beans. We had a late spring this year.

George

Carrots George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 05-03-2012 03:02 PM
Carrots...... Katra General Cooking 46 24-11-2004 03:28 AM
carrots Randell Tarin Vegan 3 30-08-2004 09:59 AM
carrots Michael Balarama Vegan 4 30-08-2004 09:59 AM