Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Crystal-clear, low-sugar jellies? Possible?

I think there are some old hand jelly makers in here, as well as a few prize winners to boot.

If you have made a good, crystal-clear juice to work from (I know that's a whole 'nother topic), then is it possible using a low-sugar pectin (and therefore low sugar recipe ) to make a clear jelly? Or, is sugar required to give jellies that jewel-like, transparent look? Or, does it depend on the pectin you use?

I'm not much of a jelly maker myself, I'd personally rather have something that leaves in more of the fruit that I worked hard to grow, but I'm just curious.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/7/2016 3:42 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> I think there are some old hand jelly makers in here, as well as a few prize winners to boot.
>
> If you have made a good, crystal-clear juice to work from (I know that's a whole 'nother topic), then is it possible using a low-sugar pectin (and therefore low sugar recipe ) to make a clear jelly? Or, is sugar required to give jellies that jewel-like, transparent look? Or, does it depend on the pectin you use?
>
> I'm not much of a jelly maker myself, I'd personally rather have something that leaves in more of the fruit that I worked hard to grow, but I'm just curious.

Use the low-sugar pectin. The sugar and pectin combine to set up the
jelly. Wife just made a big amount of kumquat marmalade and did
something wrong, it never set. I think it wasn't boiled enough but am
smart enough not to argue with here. Therefore we have a large supply of
kumquat syrup. <BSEG>

At the very least you might have syrup.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2016-10-07 20:42:02 +0000, Randal Oulton said:

> I think there are some old hand jelly makers in here, as well as a few
> prize winners to boot.
>
> If you have made a good, crystal-clear juice to work from (I know
> that's a whole 'nother topic), then is it possible using a low-sugar
> pectin (and therefore low sugar recipe ) to make a clear jelly? Or, is
> sugar required to give jellies that jewel-like, transparent look? Or,
> does it depend on the pectin you use?
>
> I'm not much of a jelly maker myself, I'd personally rather have
> something that leaves in more of the fruit that I worked hard to grow,
> but I'm just curious.

IME, you need sugar for that sparkle and clarity.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Ping: Barb Schaller

> Dear Barb,
>
> I am so very sorry to hear about your tremendous family losses. That's
> a huge number of siblings and relatives to lose in so short a time. I
> knew were the youngest child, but no matter the age differences, I
> doubt any of us expect these things to happen when they do. It's
> difficult to reconcile so much grief in any one family.
>
> As an only child, I only had to bury only my parents, but they were all
> I had. My distant family was just that, distant.
>
> We have a couple of "half-baked" pizza places in the suburbs, but my
> experience with one of them left everything to be desired. : I've
> never tried baking a pizza on the grill. Do you bake it on the grate
> or on a stone over the grate? I have a commercial baking stone in my
> oven and it does produce nice crisped crusts.
>
> Yes, David is still Mr. Picky Eater! I'm sure that will never change,
> but we manage just fine. There are a few things we eat in common,
> otherwise I just cook two different meals or let him fend for himself.
> :
>
> I'm still doing a bit of pickling and preserves. The last batch of
> pickles I made were candied orange-infused chunks. I also made a bath
> of fig preserves and old-fashioned method of making whole strawberry
> preserves. I can't remember if I told you we moved to a condo in
> central Phoenix. It's a nice size for us, but it has a very tiny
> kitchen that is somewhat limited.

Miz Anne has the dining table covered with lots of veggies and a few lbs
of figs. She made three pints the other day and, I expect, she will make
another small batch.

She's the head gardener at her church and works in that garden at least
three days a week. All the produce goes to the "Poor Kitchen" and, she
now has a couple of helpers. I may get to see her a little more often.

For a 77-year old woman she is pretty spry. I just wish I was spry, my
many years ago series of strokes have turned my right side into wizened,
aching problem but I'm still moving around. Do most of the cooking and
grocery shopping, thanks to electric carts. I do wish those carts had
horns on them though, some old people just drag their feet. <G> I will
be 78 on 09/23 and then I can be ahead of her again.

We now live in Harris Cty, TX again to be close to our two children,
five grandchildren, mostly adult, and six great grands. Luckily our two
eldest grandson's are humongous large and are good workers. One live's
three blocks down the street from us and is always available for moving
heavy stuff for us. We still garden, have a pear tree, a fig, and a
kumquat, all planted in 2013 and now providing fruit if they don't get
frozen back. Our neighborhood is mainly commuting workers in the towns
and Houston proper so our days are pretty quiet. We do miss our large
property in Louisiana but we do like seeing our grands and greats more
often.

George

Hauling them jams and jellies around George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 1 09-05-2011 06:33 PM
Crystal Rock Outerwear - Discount Crystal Rock Womens Outerwear [email protected] General Cooking 0 21-05-2009 03:19 PM
Different Jellies The Cook Preserving 49 25-06-2007 07:13 PM
Safety question - low sugar jellies cbx Preserving 3 10-10-2006 12:08 PM
How clear is CLEAR ? ( Nervous Newbie Asks) reply@grouponly Winemaking 1 12-09-2004 08:20 PM